Motor drag

Dazzer1970

Just Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Hi guys looking for some help my name is Daryl I live in Cornwall and I'm looking to buy a hardtail ebike for commuting to and from work which is about 4 miles each way also some trail riding at the weekend I'm 5 10 and haven't cycled for years. So as I'm going to do road work which motor carries the least amount of drag after the 25kmph limit I'm looking at bikes with the bosh gen4 and shimano e7000 and e8000 and of course the brose s drive but which is best any help would be grateful

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
All e-bikes are heavy, it's the nature of the beast. You will feel this weight after cutoff. You will be convinced that it is drag but, in reality, it's the weight you feel. The only motors that drag are direct drive hub motors, whereas geared hubs and mid motors have clutches that disengage when the power stops.
Personally I wouldn't go near Bosch as you'll be tied into their method of spares and repair - which basically seems to be to make sure nothing else fits and fleece the customer. i.e a replacement Bosch battery is 6-700 pounds and no others will work. A quality generic battery is 2-300 pounds.
There's not many Brose around and not sure of UK dealership coverage, if any.

Kyle Black Forest

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2018
As above don't go to Bosch, in fact I wouldn't advise anybody to buy a ready made e-bike, build your own!!
So much cheaper and so much more fun!
All in less than £1000 with a much better spec! ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As above don't go to Bosch, in fact I wouldn't advise anybody to buy a ready made e-bike, build your own!!
So much cheaper and so much more fun!
All in less than £1000 with a much better spec! ;)
This route is only for those ideally mechanically minded, though I am anti lock -in with the likes of Bosch.
For most it will mean buying several tools to work on the bike and a bike that may not look as neat.

Reactions: Kyle Black Forest

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
There is no drag on the Bosch Active line plus it is seamless past the cut off, also some good bargains available.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most motors don't have drag riding above the assisted limit; that goes for the expensive ones (even more expensive to repair) such as Bosch and Shimano and the cheaper but good quality Chinese ones; and for crank and hub drives.

Sometimes people think there is drag, which is just the lack of assistance; especially if the assistance cutoff is too sudden.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have now experience of three bikes an early model geared hub ,a Bosch Active and now my wifes new geared hub .
The early model 2007 certainly felt with motor drag. The Bosch 2016 was the most expensive of the three ,but is also the most natural experience. ..and if the motor is off, it is just a quality heavy bike. The third a Forme , purchased last autumn is loved by my wife, who rarely goes above assist level 1 or 2 .on it

Bosch engined bikes are very well made , robust and for the long haul. Less a biking enthusiasts dream machine and more a sturdy reliable workhorse. I can accept that they are not inexpensive..and yes you are buying into say an Apple ecosystem not DIY Linux..,to use an analogy. Some people want appliances and the Bosch types are that., Just as some people always bring their car to the manufacturers franchise ..sane mindset

Last edited:

tony b

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Hi there,
Had a chinese built in uk rear hub drive bike at £750 for 3 years 16 mile round commute and was brilliant.
Sold and bought a scott with bosch gen 3 performance cx 500wh kept 2 years same commute + leisure 2300 miles.
Now bought a moustache gen 4 bosch.
Gen 3 with small chainring was I found hard work without assistance and on hard climbs in turbo was tough.
Now the gen 4 performance line seems a whole different game...
Normal size chainring lighter motor and I can cycle without any assistance quite happily and when you need assistance it comes in and out virtually unnoticed .
An absolute joy.