mid-drive chain line issues

pete757

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2024
I bought a TSDZ2B mid-drive kit for my MTB. Without additional spacers the motor housing hits the chain stay. With spacers the chain line looks really bad. Given that an MTB has fatter tyres isn't it almost inevitable that this problem will exist when fitting a mid-drive kit to an MTB?

If I decide not to convert this bike, can anyone suggest any hardtail MTBs I could get where this problem doesn't exist?

Reactions: SkyMonkey

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I bought a TSDZ2B mid-drive kit for my MTB. Without additional spacers the motor housing hits the chain stay. With spacers the chain line looks really bad. Given that an MTB has fatter tyres isn't it almost inevitable that this problem will exist when fitting a mid-drive kit to an MTB?

If I decide not to convert this bike, can anyone suggest any hardtail MTBs I could get where this problem doesn't exist?
Ideally, you want any older MTB, especially those with 26" wheels, though it depends what you want to do with it. Look for a donor with a standard triangle frame, disc brakes and a chainwheel with at least 38T.

pete757

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2024
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have any specific MTB brand/model that they've had a great result with?

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Bafang mid-drives have an after-sales market of others making 'dished' off-set chainrings to address chain line issues.
Lekkie 'Bling Rings' are one of the most well known examples.
Is there a similar thing for Tongsheng?

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Shame you didn't ask before buying. TSDZ2B was a great motor, but it is obsolete now. TSDZ8 is much better.

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
A 26" Specialized Rockhopper from 10yrs-ish ago would be a good donor bike.
My 1st MTB was a Rockhopper and I remember it had narrow spaced chain stays.
So much so that the tyre choice topped out at 2.0".
100mm travel fork would be the limit though I think.

Reactions: pete757