Kudos Cycles :: The new KUDOS HERO BIKE-designed to climb hills.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Flecc wrote:
Your challenge is far from new, we've had a succession of new members doing the same in blindly accepting the 250 watts as gospel at the outset. They have learnt differently with time and experience of the subject.
It's not a challenge, I only made a practical observation that all manufacturers have access to similar technologies that are limited by EN15194. As Frank pointed out, you can only climb more hill if you void your test certificate. Furthermore, what can come out of the motor depends on the configuration of the battery: how many cells do you need connected in parallel to supply the 20A without starting fire? The plain fact is most bikes are limited by law, not by design. Until the law changes, it's nigh impossible to climd hills without pedal power.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The EN test allows for a practical 'road test' to determine motor power with a +10% margin. If this is used or even a static test to pass EN then a Kudos bike 'hill climber' will be no different to to a normal road bike...sorry but I smell something....

I would still like to know what the standard Kudos bike controller is set to, if set to more than 12amp at 36v then the bike has a high chance of not passing the EN test as it stands.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Until the law changes, it's nigh impossible to climd hills without pedal power.
This simply isn't true as I've already shown by example of a legal bike that does. Most e-bikes that can be controlled without pedalling will climb 7 to 10% unaided with moderate rider weight, dependant on that weight of course.

I note you approved of a post in 10 mph's thread where he demonstrated the invalidity factors of the EN tests and the double legal power he reported.

So why are you disputing with me what you approve with him?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The EN test allows for a practical 'road test' to determine motor power with a +10% margin. If this is used or even a static test to pass EN then a Kudos bike 'hill climber' will be no different to to a normal road bike...sorry but I smell something....

I would still like to know what the standard Kudos bike controller is set to, if set to more than 12amp at 36v then the bike has a high chance of not passing the EN test as it stands.
You are right to smell something, a 37 volt bike with a known manufacturer-acknowledged controller setting of 16 amps is reported as passing the EN test with 248 watts maximum continuous output. Another bike with a different motor and controller designed and made in another country also returns exactly 248 watts on the same test.

The test and figures remain the nonsense they have always been, as demonstrated by the practical on road performances.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flecc wrote:
I note you approved of a post in 10 mph's thread where he demonstrated the invalidity factors of the EN tests and the double legal power he reported.

10mph tested only on 20 metres, it's not a hill.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
20 meters is all the EN test calls out for...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've said nothing about approving 10 mph's post, merely observed your approval.

You are clearly looking for an argument Trex. I come in here to help with facts, not waste time with someone being contrary.

Graeme

Pedelecer
May 7, 2011
Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland
How about an option of hub gears as in the Tourer?
Forgive my ignorance but, have you sold any bikes yet or is this a brand new business?
When will your website be up and running?
Are you a web only business?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flecc, if I have offended you, I am sorry and apologize for it. Frank and NRG also made the point that EN15194 limits the ability of the new specs in hill climbing, the key point of this project.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Haibike had miles more torque than any of the other bikes at Presteigne - including the Ezee Torque. Assuming that the Bosch motor system passed the EN test, as Bosch is a large responsible German company and it would be really embarrassing for them to have to recall all their motors, then there must be loads of scope for the other manufacturers to increase the torque of their motors and still conform using the same test methods that Bosch used, and please don't start arguing that the Bosch system is more efficient: it had more torque in any gear at any speed until it got to 15mph. I think we should lobby the legislators for a simple maximum speed of 15mph rather than have all the complications of finding ways to cheat the test for power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc, if I have offended you, I am sorry and apologize for it. Frank and NRG also made the point that EN15194 limits the ability of the new specs in hill climbing, the key point of this project.
Thanks Trex. My position is that the actual EN tests are not measuring the maximum continuous power as demonstrated by bikes actual abilities and manufacturers own acknowledgement of controller current capability. In other words, the theory of the tests certainly limits as you say, but the practice doesn't.

There's clear indication as I've observed in current posts that the EN testers are not truthfully reporting, their statements of power being at the motor shaft in hub motors being impossible to measure for access reasons. In any case, the test doesn't specify this as a requirement.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Is the Bosch drive system available for DIY projects?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
will this design increase the need for regular maintenance and wear to chain and gears?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. same for all crank drive electric bikes because all the power goes through the chain.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
front drive or rear drive?
(another stupid question)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
do you have a solution from your own range Frank?