Kudos Cycles :: The new KUDOS HERO BIKE-designed to climb hills.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We have a bike under development known as Kudos HERO,the spec of the bike is likely to be as follows-
48cm or 51cm frame
6061-T6 ally frame
Kudos front solid forks
Shimano Deore 9-speed derailleur
26"dual wall rims,
Kenda road tyres
Velo plus saddle
Hydraulic disc brakes,front and rear
36v x 16Ah LifePo4 battery
Suzhou Bafang 250watt rear motor-special low speed torque
Uprated high current controller
LED integral lights
Shimano dynamo front hub
Pannier bags
ART anti theft lock

probable colours-satin black or steel blue
I had a lot of interest in such a bike as this at the Tour de Presteigne,the hill climbing ability being of obvious interest in that hilly part of Wales. We anticipate the price to be between £1125.00 to £1195.00
Am very interested in your thoughts on this spec,it could be changed at this stage.
Note-the 26" wheels,high current controller and 16Ah battery to feed the controller demands have all been spec'd to climb hills,at the expense of range.
The prototype will be available late June,2011
Dave Elderfield
Kudos Cycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excellent idea Dave, I'd expect a high demand for such an e-bike, improved hill climbing being one of the most common demands, and the lack of climb ability one of the most common complaints.

The spec looks as though it will have wide appeal and 26" wheels a good choice, better mechanical climb advantage than 700c.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The most difficult decisions were-
Forks-whether to use solid or suspension forks,I spec'd solid because of weight saving,motor in the rear and testing of our Tourer model revealed that the action on steep hills avoids the bounce of suspension.
Brakes-our mountain bikes all have hydraulic disc brakes,I find these to add som much confidence to steep downhill braking,with very precise feel and control.
Colours-every additional colour adds 50 stock units,with 3 colours and 2 frame sizes thats 250 bikes,thats ok but are people worried about colour-would you prefer satin black,steel blue or white?
Really interested in others opinions?
Dave Elderfield
Kudos Cycles

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I'd say black or black and white.

Now disregarding boy bike colours can I suggest, from a design colour point of view - that if you have any say so in colours of ladies step over bikes look at the dutch retro colours on non ebikes and go for very pale retro blue and very pale retro yellow.

On another forum there was a thread that had pages and pages of oohing and aaahing at a very expensive non ebike that was a pale retro yellow. Of course design-wise it was appealing to the eye too.

Just some thoughts -sorry it doesn't help your current decision.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
current e-bike standard 250W motor would limit what the bike can do. The physics formulae: W = F x d, W being 250W + rider's own physical effort, means that if the motor is geared to lower speed and higher torque, the rider won't go any faster uphill.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
An excellent idea. Congratulations on your initiative, as Flecc says, hill-climbing is one of the motives for buying a electric bike. Well done for your reasonably priced batteries, by the way. If you can establish a reputation for great customer support as well, you are on to a winning formula.

My vote is for steel blue!

Trex - just to save Flecc the bother of making the same point again... 250w is the average permitted output. The peak power output of a legal motor would be more than this. In the case of a powerful motor such as a Heinzmann, it would be much more.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Andy, if you are climbing a hill, you will need a sustained output from the motor. As with car engine management, the peak output of the engine may be twice of its RMS but if you run the engine at that rate for eny length of time, it'll burn out. My solution for improving uphill performance is to wear a pacemaker or failing that, project Britney Spears hologram in front of the bike then pretend you won't be outdone by a chick.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Andy, if you are climbing a hill, you will need a sustained output from the motor. As with car engine management, the peak output of the engine may be twice of its RMS but if you run the engine at that rate for eny length of time, it'll burn out.
I have to come in anyway Andy!

Trex, the 250 watts is a notional nonsense. As I and others have demonstrated, the motors in "legal" e-bikes sustain greatly in excess of 250 watts output without temperature rise. In my case on a Torq 1 the sustained output for almost all of the bike's battery content was 540 watts net with a temperature fall of 1 degree centigrade from pre-warmed up start to finish. That is an exceptional one, but circa 400 watts is commonplace.

Comparison of electric motors with ic engines is rarely relevant.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Kudos uses Bafang 250W motor, if they overclock the controller, other manufacturers will complaint to trading standards. They wouldn't do it anyway because it's illegal. You can do anything you like with your bike, that's why I wanted to know how you can knock them dead. All e-bikes as I understand have a high startup current but a few seconds later, will drop down to normal, either to throttle level or through pedal pedal assist sensor or torque sensor. There are plenty of things manufacturers can do to improve e-bikes such as esthetics, ergonomics, batteries but I don't think they make illegal products. Please correct me if I am wrong.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
My point is, if you take two riders, one with Kudos Carbon King and another one with Kudos Sport (the one I wanted to buy and might still do), both will race from A to B. The one with stronger legs will win on any length, with or without hills. Manufacturers are hemmed in by stupid EN whatsit but that's what our previous goverments have signed up to.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I quote ( Uprated high current controller ) WHY more amps = more watts

If not why uprate the controller = More than 250 watts continues If not it wont climb hills

36 volt battery runs at 42 volt battery 20 amp controller 42X 20 = 840 watts to the motor less 20%

the loss through the motor at least 600 watts Continues 1,000 watts peak

NOW that will climb a HILL

Frank

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I don't mind what colour as long as its Black!;)

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Don`t make it pink, as people might have doubts about you and in any case you will have trouble selling it on . Ask yourself, would you buy a pink car from anyone ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Kudos uses Bafang 250W motor, if they overclock the controller, other manufacturers will complaint to trading standards. They wouldn't do it anyway because it's illegal. You can do anything you like with your bike, that's why I wanted to know how you can knock them dead. All e-bikes as I understand have a high startup current but a few seconds later, will drop down to normal, either to throttle level or through pedal pedal assist sensor or torque sensor. There are plenty of things manufacturers can do to improve e-bikes such as esthetics, ergonomics, batteries but I don't think they make illegal products. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The real world facts contradict your assertions Trex.

Firstly, it can be shown that e-bikes could not do what they do on 250 watts continuous maximum power. For example, a legal eZee Quando model will climb a protracted 12% gradient at just over a steady 8 mph with me on board, total load fractionally over 100 kilos, and I would happily do that to battery empty on a suitable long alpine gradient. Simple calculation shows that requires a minimum of 439 watts, and that's without any allowance for rolling resistance and frictions.

Secondly, peak powers are far higher than you imagine. The Torq 1 I quoted before has been measured at just over 1000 watts gross peak power, not only by me but by member Tiberius (Nick), a scientist who sits on some of the international standards committees.

Thirdly, another manufacturer has recently posted that one of his motors was passed for EN15194 with 248 watts stable temperature maximum, measured at the motor shaft. That's not possible, the motor shaft is only accessible in the blind end of the hub shell. To measure in the claimed way, the motor core would have to be removed and a support yoke would have to be made for the motor core to be mounted in new bearings for that purpose. There are also further complications in measuring that I won't bore you with. Even in the very unlikely event of this being done, the test result would be completely invalid since it would not constitute a test of the standard product. And once again, that bike could not do what it does with 248 watts, less the losses due to it's internal epicyclic gear set.

I well remember the early days of e-bikes three decades ago when they did adhere to the legal power specified in the EAPC regulations of 1983. They were almost useless, which prevented their success, and it wasn't until the late 1990s when manufacturers adopted a more liberal interpretation that they became more popular.

It would be interesting to know what the EN testers are doing, but it certainly isn't achieving a measurement of continuous maximum power.

Your challenge is far from new, we've had a succession of new members doing the same in blindly accepting the 250 watts as gospel at the outset. They have learnt differently with time and experience of the subject.

Liang

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2011
I would really like to see some colour on bikes, it's all grey, white and black these days and really boring.
My current bike is bright orange :cool:
Not that I like orange that much, but it was the only one they had other than grey ;)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi the simple answer is to put the bike on a dyno then it will reveal the BHP and speed at the wheel as if it where on a road
Frank:cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed Frank, though the result would be the same as that calculated from on-road hill climb tests.