Kudos 2013 Performance Ebike Details

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Kudos Dave ..... any pictures and spec. of the new crank drive?

Alan

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Would you care to enlighten us as to what "TOP"hillclimb is?
Hoppy,it is available on Arriba and Tornado models only,selected by the maximum PAS setting. We have programmed the controller and linked this to the BPM motor such that the maximum torque setting is available lower in the road speed range,thus it is possible to powerfully climb steep hills slowly,using lower gears than normally possible on a hub drive bike.
'TOP'....Torque Optimisation Program.
Dave
Kudoscycles

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I don't know if it's the photos but I can't see any torque arms fitted?

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Thanks for reply re TOP.Sounds interesting, and promising.Look forward to more about crank drive soon,too.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
THESE NEW MODELS look good and should appeal to the younger group, i also feel that to offer option of 8 speed would attract more interest, in the duke range .(.Dave after all you state that not reccomended without power) we have already found comments to substantiate this.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Duke and Duchess-with power you still spend 90% of your riding in top gear with the 3 speed hub,such is the power of these e-bikes. Don't forget we have our Tourer,City,Liberty,Safari and Eco bikes all have 8-speed Nexus available so there is still plenty of choice if you need more gears.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
KUDOS ‘IBEX’ CRANK DRIVE BIKE

• Frame 6061-T6 aluminium, 46cm
• Forks SR Suntour F12-XCT-V3-26
• Shift Shimano SL-M430 Alivio 9-speed
• R. Derailleur Shimano SL-M430
• Crank 48T
• BB B-902
• Gears Shimano CS-HG50-9,11-32T
• Chain KMC Z99
• Pedals Wellgo M21
• Front hub Quando alloy QR 32h
• Motor 250W crank drive (centre motor), 6oNm
• Rims Double wall 32h
• Tyres Kenda K885 26" x 2.0”
• Stem 3D forged 6061 aluminium
• Handlebars Alloy 620mm
• Brakes Tektro Auriga E-comp hydraulic disc
• Seat Vader 1134A-04
• Seat post Alloy w/clamp 030.4 400mm SP222
• Battery Li-on 36V x 10.4Ah Samsung LiMnO4
• Throttle Thumb throttle
• Max. speed up to 25km/h
• Range up to PAS 60km
• Charge time 5-6 hours
• Weight 21kg
• Standard EN15194

£1295.00 inc VAT

As requested, please find draft details and photos of the new Kudos crank drive bike.
The specification is still subject to minor revisions but should be mostly correct.

The frame has been purposely designed with a long top tube and long seat post so, despite the 46cm seat post dimension, it should accommodate a wide range of rider heights.

The motor is a joint development between Kudos, our manufacturer and a university, it has been subject to extensive quality and durability testing, including –

1 5,000km road testing – smooth road, Belgian pave, washboard, sand, sine wave and ramping
2 10,000km equivalent bench test at 20kmh x 500 hours
3 Peak torque test – 10,000 times start under peak torque
4 Dust and water test to level IP54, 2 hours duration
5 Simulated max pedal pressure test, 100,000 times assuming 150kg rider

Motor specification
36v
250 watt
Steel gears
90rpm max speed
60 Nm peak torque
4.5kg weight
48T chainwheel

We have had an extensive testing session between the Arriba, Tornado and Ibex bikes. They each have their own strength and weaknesses.

The Arriba bike with its torque sensor faithfully replicates the input power of the rider. The Ibex (crank drive) is very smooth and readily freewheels, it is effortless up steep hills. The Tornado is just plain fast.

Would welcome any local Pedelec member to come down and test these bikes.

Dave
Kudos Cycles

Attachments

Last edited:

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Thanks Dave

The Ibex could well do it for me , will have to wait until April for the Manifold Valley "bash" to give it and the others a whirl

Alan

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The Ibex looks good, I reckon if I painted the battery to look like a 2 litre bottle of IRN BRU most people wouldn't think it was electric.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Yes I like the look and spec of the Ibex too.Can't actually see the motor.Is it concealed in the chainwheel and is it really quiet?

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Sounds and looks great.I'd really like one.When will they be available and could we see a picture with optional mudguards and lights,please.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hats off to Kudos for investing in the business to produce their smart new range.

One hopefully constructive observation: a couple of retailers have told me their customers are not keen on Kudos because the biggest batteries are only 10ah.

Battery ah numbers are like gears, a lot of us want more than we need.

No maker can offer everything, but were I in marketing at Kudos Towers, I'd be looking to offer a bigger battery option on at least some of the range.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The spec overall looks decent at the price and the frame styling, battery placement and crank-drive all look neat and tidy. Finally, Kudos can offer bikes comparable in all-up weight with the premium market so what's not to like?

Some user feedback in due course will inform us better but my first impression is that these bikes are far removed from previous Kudos machines.

Indalo

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hats off to Kudos for investing in the business to produce their smart new range.

One hopefully constructive observation: a couple of retailers have told me their customers are not keen on Kudos because the biggest batteries are only 10ah.

No maker can offer everything, but were I in marketing at Kudos Towers, I'd be looking to offer a bigger battery option on at least some of the range.
10Ah batteries...the reasons to choose this size-
1. It is the most popular size,so replacements are cheap
2. The LifePo4 has a low energy density and high volume but they last a long time-its all a compromise-if we go bigger in capacity the batteries get too heavy and bulky.
3. We selected LiMnO4 for the performance series because they are lighter and less bulky which allows fitment on the downtube for best balance on the bike,there is no more room in the triangle for anything bigger.
4.The batteries look sized right on a bike,in my opinion these big capacity batteries do look bulky and spoil the bike styling.
5.The batteries are cheap so its realistic to have 2 x 10Ah and keep a charged unit mid journey(at work).

But its all a compromise,no one supplier will ever satisfy everyone's requirements and that keeps us all in the business....we already have 20 plus models,thats enough for the UK.
Thanks for your suggestions and interest.
The first opportunity to see the range will be the London Excel Cycle Show but its not ideal there is no hill available and only a small test track.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Sounds and looks great.I'd really like one.When will they be available and could we see a picture with optional mudguards and lights,please.
Hoppy,we anticipate delivery late March,early April 2013. There's a lot of roadshows in the month of April so a good opportunity to really try these bikes in the most testing locations.
Regret I have no photos available with the mudguards and lights-the mudguards are the simple 'crudcatcher style' and the lights are as used on our current King bike.
Dave
Kudoscycles

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer

Heh, I must be an odd one out! My old Juicy had six, and the Ave has nine, and this level - just the one changer - is fine for me. I've never felt I've needed a second changer, perhaps Birmingham isn't hilly enough!

As for battery Ah ratings - the central crank drive doesn't need nearly as much as a hub bike, imo. My old bike got a lot of throttle usage, and on a new battery probably would have done 20 miles to a 10Ah charge (down to 10 after two years depletion). Having no throttle on the new Bosch system, I think I'd get 25 miles from the 8Ah pack (I expect the Bosch batteries to deplete much more slowly).

I think the increased range on the crank drive design can be explained by the power going through the gearing system, permitting the designers to optimise efficiency for a narrower range of motor speeds.

So yes, I had some misgivings initially about the "low capacity" 8Ah battery, but they turn out to be entirely unfounded. Customers should be dissuaded from larger capacities unless they really need them, in any case, since the bikes are heavy enough as it is without the extra kilo or two!

Last edited: