is this a good time to buy a new ebike......?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
martin, in the style of a thorn nomad but not drop handlebar......the more relaxed sit up position of flat handlebars....
regards
Hi thanks for your reply,
Interesting that the nomad is of the 26" wheel nature as opposed to the traditional 700c trecker.
I was going to suggest possibly a special order on the Haibike Trekking model, that said I have had a couple of customers choosing the RC29 and adding mudguards and a rack. Thus giving you the bigger wheel to roll well on the roads, also allowing you to take the off 'shortcut track'. The geometries between the trekking models and the RC29 being very similar.

Obviously your budget determines what sort of drive you go for. If your after a reliable range then crank drive is the way forward. Just out of interest have you considered the Raleigh Leeds?
Link - Leeds Tour - The Leeds Tour is the rugged big brother to the Dover, and is the Raleigh top of the range eBike.

Available in a crossbar model, also features 26" wheel with road tyres as seen on the Thorn. It also comes ready to ride with the rack, mudguards, stand, dynamo lights etc. With a reliable Nexus hub gear system. They are offered with a 12ah battery with the option to upgrade to 18aH at a later date. Just a thought.

Regards
Martin

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

You supply the bike we will fit a kit to it Because we only use 48 volts our kit climb mountains

Our Baby kit is arriving soon with a switchable controller 250 watts 25 kph or turn a key 500 watts + 45kph

Commuter Baby

3 battery sizes 10ah 15 ah 20 ah all 48 volts that is up to a massive 1,000 watt hours

Frank

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi

You supply the bike we will fit a kit to it Because we only use 48 volts our kit climb mountains

Our Baby kit is arriving soon with a switchable controller 250 watts 25 kph or turn a key 500 watts + 45kph

Commuter Baby

3 battery sizes 10ah 15 ah 20 ah all 48 volts that is up to a massive 1,000 watt hours

Frank
hi frank , a lot of power, but all through a throttle- (i prefer pedelec system).... and a strapped on large box which is not very elegant to my eye.......i am sure for mountain biking off road it would be perfect..
regards

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
If you are looking for relaxed sit up position. I would suggest a bike when you can change the angle of the handlebars. You can often not do this on some of the sportier models. We have Macina Eight for £2149with 400wh battery or Macina Cross £1899 with 400wh battery. Both these models have 700c wheels. In addition we have two AVE bikes with the Bosch system but the battery size is smaller.

KTM Electric Bikes electric bikes folding bikes
AVE electric bikes folding bikes

Happy to advise if you want information about other models or have something particular in mind.
David

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi thanks for your reply,
Interesting that the nomad is of the 26" wheel nature as opposed to the traditional 700c trecker.
I was going to suggest possibly a special order on the Haibike Trekking model, that said I have had a couple of customers choosing the RC29 and adding mudguards and a rack. Thus giving you the bigger wheel to roll well on the roads, also allowing you to take the off 'shortcut track'. The geometries between the trekking models and the RC29 being very similar.

Obviously your budget determines what sort of drive you go for. If your after a reliable range then crank drive is the way forward. Just out of interest have you considered the Raleigh Leeds?
Link - Leeds Tour - The Leeds Tour is the rugged big brother to the Dover, and is the Raleigh top of the range eBike.

Available in a crossbar model, also features 26" wheel with road tyres as seen on the Thorn. It also comes ready to ride with the rack, mudguards, stand, dynamo lights etc. With a reliable Nexus hub gear system. They are offered with a 12ah battery with the option to upgrade to 18aH at a later date. Just a thought.

Regards
Martin

thanks for reply......kalkhoff ebikes is closest to what i am probably looking for.....their new bikes look possibilities . dont understand why raleigh which are from same stable are more expensive than the kalkhoffs.
have not tried the kalkhoff nuvinci hub with impulse motor.......probably worth a test ride........, in fact starting to look like a trip to germany for a few days to check out the bikes which dont come across to uk . swiss flyer could then be looked at........., take my bike rack and bring something back !!!!!
regards

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
hi eaglerider, i already have 2 ebikes and have just sold one....so have quite good experience with ebikes.
i am looking to go on longer touring trips now that i have the time, so good hill climbing and long range will be very important if i want to be on the bike for a good few hours covering up to 80 miles. yes i could get an extra battery , try and get a midday charge etc which looks to be the only compromise currently available if hilly terrain is a good part of the day. equally i would not want a mountain bike as most of the riding would be on tarmac or forest paths, canal paths etc rather than rough off roading.
we are so far behind with ebikes in the uk.....for instance in switzerland one can hire a 'swiss flyer' and there is battery exchange available on many cycling routes at convenient spots. this of course is a huge investment by the companies doing this ,but is apparently a great success for people taking week long holiday ebike trips.......

i am planning to do the coast to coast , then back across hadrians wall route , taking about a week.....this needs about 50 miles a day over some quite steep climbs.......so should i risk it with one of my current bikes or is there a great touring style ebike available which has slipped under my radar ........?

regards
Hi DMcGoldrick.

I had a suspicion that you were already an ebiker, but then I thought, what the hell, I'll say it anyway.

Apropos your plan to do some longer rides, may I suggest a Freego Eagle, (heh). With the 16A/H battery you can easily do 50 miles on a charge, including hills, provided you avoid using full power too often. It's a pretty comfy bike, has an adjustable stem so you can have the bars up, down forward and back, all at the flick of a lever.

I can climb from sea level up to the top of Beachy Head, and I only need first gear for about 50 yards where it gets very steep, but other than that it's a doddle, and I'm climbing at about 10 to 12 mph.

I'm sure you have already thought of this option, but as before, I thought I would mention it anyway!:p

Regards
ER

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
thanks for all the replies...........its obviously going to be very difficult to find a bike which is a big improvement on what i already have.....for now, it may just be an extra battery..........
so to answer my own question.......just now will not be the time for me to buy a new ebike ..........

regards

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Yes the dongle is illegal to use on the road, however perfectly legal off the road.
Sorry Martin but this is very rarely true. For anywhere members of public have access to eg Cannock Chase, New Forest or even private property with say a public footpath on it etc then any vehicle must be effectively road legal. (ie taxed, mot, insurance, license) or in the case of a bicycle comply with the Law. There are a few exceptions to this (eg some agricultural vehicles). The only place this does not apply is on completely private land which no members of public has access to for any reason.

This law is there to stop say a 14 year old driving their parents car on private land like a caravan park (which used to be legal as not on the road) and then hurting somebody but it is all inclusive with no exceptions.

more info here
http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/500555.html

Last edited:

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
I think you can't beat any of the kalkhoffs with the 18ah battery for touring.have had mine one and a half years now and easily getting 50+ with 2 lights left on hilly west of scotland tours.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I think you can't beat any of the kalkhoffs with the 18ah battery for touring.have had mine one and a half years now and easily getting 50+ with 2 lights left on hilly west of scotland tours.
gerryscott.......which exact model do you have (are you a demo man for 50 cycles ?)
.......what routes west of scotland do you recommend ?
i am in perthshire....
regards

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I borrowed a Scott/Bosch from my local dealer for a week - it answers all those points except for the maximum speed issue - that would be solved with a dongle. Good range especially with the larger battery and quite easy to pedal without power. One ride I did was nearly up to the radar site on Great Dunn Fell near Cross Fell and I rode the first 8 miles with the power off to try and extend the range as it had the smaller battery.
Eventually I was defeated by the Arctic weather up there - I got fairly close to the top, but the cold seemed to affecting the battery and me! However, easy ride back with the battery having recovered.
That's very kind of them to loan you a bike for a week. When you had returned the bike,were they expecting you to place an order or did you just say that you had a great time and would get back to them in a few years time.:p

Mountainsport

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We hire electric bikes and would refund that cost if the person buys a bike. Would consider something similar for people who do not live close and can not visit us. For example on a high end bike would consider refunding cost of the bike if it did not meet their expectations. You also have a seven day cooling off period if you buy online anyway so that enables people to change their mind even if there is no fault with the product.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Not if they are powered by the Go-Swiss motor. ;)

The harder you try to pedal past this speed, the stronger the regen comes in....and it cannot be switched off. By the way, freewheeling down a hill is not effected, so long as the pedals are not used....you can go as fast down the hill as your nerves will allow.
Well, that's novel - If you want to slow down when going downhill........ Start pedalling!

I'd love to give that a go :cool:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
We hire electric bikes and would refund that cost if the person buys a bike. Would consider something similar for people who do not live close and can not visit us. For example on a high end bike would consider refunding cost of the bike if it did not meet their expectations. You also have a seven day cooling off period if you buy online anyway so that enables people to change their mind even if there is no fault with the product.
That is also very kind of you,but dont you think that your losing out because what will you do with the returned ebikes? Dont get me wrong all you said is good, but the online deal i'm not too sure about that.
You must know what you are doing.

Mountainsport.

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
hi dmcgoldrick, its a kalkhoff pro connect disc,2011.The tours i have done are cycle route callander to pitlochry ,glasgow to oban by loch lomond ,all off road from Glasgow to tarbet.Oban to arisaig pretty hilly ,but stunning if you get the weather

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
That is also very kind of you,but dont you think that your losing out because what will you do with the returned ebikes? Dont get me wrong all you said is good, but the online deal i'm not too sure about that.
You must know what you are doing.

Mountainsport.
Regarding returned bikes, most people would know after one or two rides if it was not correct for them. Could then be sold on as demonstrator or added to hire fleet.

Yes, done it previously. Legally there is a seven day cooling off period anyway. Key is find out what someone wants - type of gears, riding style, range etc. Ideally I recommend people come and try our bikes or at least a model of the crank drive system they are considering but this is not always possible. A number of people have bought direct from outside UK and been pleased with their bike. Key is to ask questions, find out what you want from a bike and then decide.

David

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Regarding returned bikes, most people would know after one or two rides if it was not correct for them. Could then be sold on as demonstrator or added to hire fleet.

Yes, done it previously. Legally there is a seven day cooling off period anyway. Key is find out what someone wants - type of gears, riding style, range etc. Ideally I recommend people come and try our bikes or at least a model of the crank drive system they are considering but this is not always possible. A number of people have bought direct from outside UK and been pleased with their bike. Key is to ask questions, find out what you want from a bike and then decide.

David
good to know this......concerning online mail order,50 cycles offered to take bike back if not suitable - no questions asked !!!!.........normally the cool off only applies if goods are unused....obviously with an ebike one would need to ride it for a distance to know if it was 'suitable'....
regards

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

David
Ok mate,well said keep sweet.

Mountainsport.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
"That's very kind of them to loan you a bike for a week. When you had returned the bike,were they expecting you to place an order or did you just say that you had a great time and would get back to them in a few years time."

The bike is a demo bike - nobody wanted to ride it that week as it was probably too cold. I liked the bike, but not the riding position. It was easy to pedal it above 25kph and I really see no need for the more powerful class. If I want to go fast I use my motorbike.