Is it a good idea to re-torque nuts and bolts once in a while?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Not sure if the word re-torque is grammatically correct, but anyway. I try to torque every nut and bolt on the bike to the correct setting. That's if I can find the manufacturer's recommended figure.Otherwise I use the 'oooh, feels like it might snap' method.

Once torqued though, is it a good idea to re-torque them, say once a year, or is it a case of set and forget?

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
For me I always keep an eye on them. The roads and cycle track here (Sheffield) are sometimes more hole than road and things come loose from the vibration. Although, each loose bolt I find gets a good coating of locktite threadlock, and so far they seem to have survived the good vibrations.

The worst ones I've had are crank and pannier bolts.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the first year of owning and regularly riding a bike yes, it's worth checks within one month and once more between three and six months.

But I've generally found from then on everything tends to remain secure. Much will depend on the surfaces you ride on though.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 10JP and Fordulike
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Each time you check the torque, you make it a bit tighter, so there's a danger of over-torquing.

maybe check once after initial build.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Checking for loose fittings every now and then then definitely yes, torquing I don't feel is needed, and thread lock is a dodgy area as there are so many different types available you could end up having to drill a bolt out if you use the wrong one!

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

Advertisers