Innovv H5 4k Helmet Camera Review

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The original has some pretty bad language on it.

I am a youtube and video know nothing so I drowned the swearing in ludicrous Germanic 'music'.
OK, that makes sense. I swore at someone today on one of my clips, just a car that pulled onto a mini roundabout from my left, kept his left indicator on, stopped on the left side, and just as I went to pass them, the right indicator came on and they started to turn into a carpark on the right.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Exposure compensation EV-2, EV -1, EV 0.0, EV 1.0, EV 2.0 set to 0.0
You can reduce to E-2, to prevent overexposure in bright sunlight.

There aren't any settings like that. It has:
Video resolution 4k 30 fps and lower
Bit rate high middle and low. I have high
EIS stabilisation on/off
Light source freq 50 hz or 60 hz
Metering mode multi-spot, spot, centre
White balance auto, daylight, cloudy, flourescent, incandescent set to auto
Like a lot of cameras supposedly designed for bicycle and motorbike "flight recorder" use. I'd try it in progressively lower light, then send it back.

The one setting my Crosstour Action 4K didn't have, that I needed as a cyclist, especially for night number plate shooting, was shutter speed - for that I had to buy a GoPro Hero 7 Black, for a couple of hundred quid more. Insane. It really wouldn't have cost Crosstour's manufacturer much to program manual control of shutter speed in, like they had for ISO. The Crosstour's controls were pretty much the same as the older GoPros, which didn't have shutter speed control back then either.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm going to do the same ride tomorrow with three other cameras. Two are cheap Chinese 4k cameras that I never got round to testing, the other is my old 2k SJ Cam, which wasn't bad in its day. I'll therefore be able to do a direct comparison with all 4 cameras.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

6k 50fps 512gb gone in 1 min 17 sec there only 500 quid each fkn bargain :D

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

6k 50fps 512gb gone in 1 min 17 sec there only 500 quid each fkn bargain :D
Very impressive output from that camera - not too long ago, a TV show scene looked so real I had to look up which camera was used. Bloody massive files though :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm going to do the same ride tomorrow with three other cameras. Two are cheap Chinese 4k cameras that I never got round to testing, the other is my old 2k SJ Cam, which wasn't bad in its day. I'll therefore be able to do a direct comparison with all 4 cameras.
Is this the "Bargaining" stage of the 5 Stages of Grief, before you settle more and more upon the "Acceptance" stage, and send the Innovv H5 back for a refund? If it were me, that camera would be in the post back to the seller by now - not fit for cylist use IMO.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is this the "Bargaining" stage of the 5 Stages of Grief, before you settle more and more upon the "Acceptance" stage, and send the Innovv H5 back for a refund? If it were me, that camera would be in the post back to the seller by now - not fit for cylist use IMO.

I never send stuff back unless it's faulty or not as described in the listing. I read many reviews on it before I bought it, and I decided to take a chance because it has many good features: I want a camera for my Honda scooter. There's nowhere suitable to fit one to it, so I need a helmet camera that isn't going to try to drag my head off at 70 mph. It needs to be waterproof and good enough to capture registration numbers at 100ft or more. It also needs to have at least 4 hrs battery life or be able to run from a powerpack. This camera does all of that except the registration numbers. The only question is whether it's good enough in that respect. I don't really care about trees being white or anything else like that. It's not for photography. It's simply to collect evidence in case of incidents. The dash cam in my car (Nextbase 612) does that perfectly. I can't understand why this more expensive one can't get the same sort of image. I would gladly have paid £100 more if it did.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I never send stuff back unless it's faulty or not as described in the listing. I read many reviews on it before I bought it, and I decided to take a chance on it because it has many good features: I want a camera for my Honda scooter. There's nowhere suitable to fit one to it, so I need a helmet camera that isn't going to try to drag my head off at 70 mph. It needs to be waterproof and good enough to capture registration numbers at 100ft or more. It also needs to have at least 4 hrs battery life or be able to run from a powerpack. This camera does all of that except the registration numbers. The only question is whether it's good enough in that respect. I don't really care about trees being white or anything else like that. It's not for photography. It's simply to collect evidence in case of incidents. The dash cam in my car (Nextbase 612) does that perfectly. I can't understand why this more expensive one can't get the same sort of image. I would gladly have paid £100 more if it did.
As well as viewing daytime footage, use Youtube searches "test video", "night test video", "low light test video" etc. for any camera you buy, avoid the paid for unboxing timewasters - I viewed a lot of footage from several cameras before buying my GPH7B. I wasn't convinced by any of the motorbike side helmet style cameras I'd seen at the time, but it's been a couple of years, and there might now be something out there better than the one you've bought, for the purposes you've bought it for. Also look carefully at the product manuals for manual settings, specifically shutter speed and ISO, because they can make a dog of a product useful. You won't get manual control over aperture, because that's fixed on action cameras. Or you could go with a jawguard or helmet side mounted action camera, powered by a power bank and waterproof it all somehow?

Or go full Telly Tubby on top? Epoxy a power bank on the back or other side? Or clamp them onto the bike handlebar? Right hand side handlebar end? I've already got the mount for that. Viable probably if there's very good image stabilisation. Oodles of possibilities...

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As well as viewing daytime footage, use Youtube searches "test video", "night test video", "low light test video" etc. for any camera you buy, avoid the paid for unboxing timewasters - I viewed a lot of footage from several cameras before buying my GPH7B. I wasn't convinced by any of the motorbike side helmet style cameras I'd seen at the time, but it's been a couple of years, and there might now be something out there better than the one you've bought, for the purposes you've bought it for. Also look carefully at the product manuals for manual settings, specifically shutter speed and ISO, because they can make a dog of a product useful. You won't get manual control over aperture, because that's fixed on action cameras. Or you could go with a jawguard or helmet side mounted action camera, powered by a power bank and waterproof it all somehow?

Or go full Telly Tubby on top? Epoxy a power bank on the back or other side? Or clamp them onto the bike handlebar? Right hand side handlebar end? I've already got the mount for that. Viable probably if there's very good image stabilisation. Oodles of possibilities...
That all looks good, but the wind resistance is too much for that type of camera - OK for 50 mph touring, but becomes a literal pain in the neck at motorway speeds. I've already had to have one operation to fix my neck, which was probably caused by 1/2 million miles of high speed motorbike riding, and I don't fancy another.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But that thing broke your Samsung phone screen :eek:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
new phone is like a brick and still ok after a crash, just use a rubber o ring on the x part bolt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
new phone is like a brick and still ok after a crash, just use a rubber o ring on the x part bolt
Good job you removed the washer from the bathroom tap to fix the Quadlock, because a broken phone and life threatening abdominal internal bleeding would have been a lethal combination.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bike got picked up faster than i did ;) i have a rescue van over the road:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That all looks good, but the wind resistance is too much for that type of camera - OK for 50 mph touring, but becomes a literal pain in the neck at motorway speeds. I've already had to have one operation to fix my neck, which was probably caused by 1/2 million miles of high speed motorbike riding, and I don't fancy another.
Handlebar mount? I've seen a GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted behind the windshield on Youtube - looked blurrier because it was shooting from behind the windshield, and the dude hadn't properly adjusted the settings to reduce motion blur, but image stabilisation worked great. Various vids with the GPH7B on auto, and all too motion blurry. These dudes need adjustments, so do their cameras.

What a horrible blurry windshield:

Blurry night video - colours look ok but frames are blurry, stabilisation doesn't work well because frames are blurry due to his automatic settings. This dude will never record number plates clearly if he doesn't visit this forum and change camera settings:

Last edited: