Injuries With Electric vs Conventional Scooters and Bicycles

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Injuries With Electric vs Conventional Scooters and Bicycles

"Question Are demographic characteristics, injury types, and health care use associated with injuries involving electric scooters or bicycles different from those involving conventional scooters or bicycles?

Findings In a cross-sectional study including 86 623 individuals, electric bicycle injuries increased by nearly 100% and electric scooter injuries increased by more than 45% annually. Injured electric vehicle users were older and less commonly helmeted than those injured from conventional vehicles, with significantly lower odds of hospitalization in individuals who were Black than in those who were White.

Conclusions and Relevance In this cross-sectional study of micromobility vehicles, an increased number of injuries and hospitalizations was observed with electric vehicles compared with conventional vehicles from 2017 to 2022. These findings suggest the need for change in educational policies, infrastructure, and law to recenter on safety with the use of micromobility vehicles."

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I read the article which is American, and dealing with American accident data. Of course the regulatory environment is very different to the European one, with significantly faster and more powerful ebikes being the norm. I would suggest the the big difference in hospitalisation rates between bikes and ebikes in the American data is likely down to higher speed accidents with more severe injury.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I call endemic racism if more white people end up in hospital than black people
I think it is safe to assume white people end up in hospitals more often after e-bike related accidents as I have not seen that many black people on e-bikes, but lets study 87k cases and find out for sure. Why not? Now all what we need is adequate funding for our study.

Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Perhaps more people who are black in the USA don't go to hospital unless critically injured because they have no insurance cover. I don't know. It's just a hunch.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judged solely from an incident I saw years ago, they bounce better. Driving on a typical busy London Road with car traffic at about 30mph on both sides , a black guy suddenly appeared running fast from a side road straight across our road without looking. Miraculously he got through the gap ahead of the car in front of me unscathed, only to be hit by a car heading the opposite way.

He was sent flying through the air, legs and arms flailing, crashing down on the pavement the opposite side but he instantly got up and carried on running. How he could do that without a moments hesitation after two major impacts was beyond me.

I suppose they do at least have the advantage that the bruises don't show.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
More likely adrenalin and shock. Bet he felt bloody awful later when his heart rate had subsided.
many moons ago as a StJohn ambulance cadet, we were trained to be alert, at an accident scene, to people wandering off apparently perfectly OK.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I'd be thinking that someone who runs wildly across a road, gets hit by a car, and then jumps up and continues running, is either running from something terrible, or is running from the law.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Judged solely from an incident I saw years ago, they bounce better. Driving on a typical busy London Road with car traffic at about 30mph on both sides , a black guy suddenly appeared running fast from a side road straight across our road without looking. Miraculously he got through the gap ahead of the car in front of me unscathed, only to be hit by a car heading the opposite way.

He was sent flying through the air, legs and arms flailing, crashing down on the pavement the opposite side but he instantly got up and carried on running. How he could do that without a moments hesitation after two major impacts was beyond me.

I suppose they do at least have the advantage that the bruises don't show.
I believe that is called style.

Reactions: flecc