I am a newbie when it comes to electric mountain bikes

Giant Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2024
Hi,

I will be riding mainly pavement and a little off roading here and there nothing major.
Basically just to get me out and about to explore my local town and another town close by.

I was looking at this Trek Marlin +8 but not sure what the motor and battery is like.
(I am a newbie when it comes to electric mountain bikes)

- https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/electric-bikes/trek-marlin-8-electric-mountain-bike-2025-purple-flip-to-black-fade__404010

I like the bike frame style but not the colour.
I am looking for an electric bike hardtail with a good motor and a long range battery.

Any suggestions? Let me know. :)

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Mainly pavement and a little off roading here and there nothing major.
I am looking for an electric bike hardtail with a good motor and a long range battery. Any suggestions? Let me know. :)
I think just about any e-bikes would be suitable. If you fancy a challenge, buy a well maintained second hand donor bike and buy a kit

Woosh and Whisper are well regarded here and have a number of suitable bikes and very good customer support

There are cheaper options also, a number of forum members bought this bike from Argos and have been pleasantly surprised

This is quite well spaced, with 36v 15ah battery and hydraulic disc brakes

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Hi,

I will be riding mainly pavement and a little off roading here and there nothing major.
Basically just to get me out and about to explore my local town and another town close by.

I was looking at this Trek Marlin +8 but not sure what the motor and battery is like.

- https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/electric-bikes/trek-marlin-8-electric-mountain-bike-2025-purple-flip-to-black-fade__404010

I am looking for an electric bike hardtail with a good motor and a long range battery.

I already gave you a suggestion in another thread:

But both bikes are overkill for your needs.

Maybe a hybrid bike?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

That's a lot of money to spend on a bike for casual riding. I'd be looking at something a lot cheaper.

Giant Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2024
I already gave you a suggestion in another thread:

But both bikes are overkill for your needs.

Maybe a hybrid bike?
I don't want to convert to bike to electric I have made my mind up and wanting to buy a ready built off the shelf electric bike. Wanting something fancy, budget of £3,000.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I don't want to convert to bike to electric I have made my mind up and wanting to buy a ready built off the shelf electric bike. Wanting something fancy, budget of £3,000.
I think one thing to check on the.more.expensive e-bikes that are designed for hard core mountain biking is the gearing, some of them are very low geared, so you will be pedalling very fast if you are mostly on roads / light trails / pavements

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You don't need to convert this Bergamont. It is already electric and it is VERY fancy. Pay £2000 and send me £1000 as a token of gratitude for good advice.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that will pi$$ all over everything :eek:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Just to make sure all is clear... You are looking at very expensive MOUNTAIN bikes. From what you are saying you might need more a relaxed step through e-bike (like in my avatar) to enjoy easy ride. It doesn't seem like you are looking a right tool for the job.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Before you blow best part of 3K on an e-bike optimised for steep climbs, Perhaps consider a £5-600 ebay/amazon 'special' that will satisfy 95% of folk and if its not 100% your cup of tea you will know what it is exactly you do want and will be able to buy with foresight and confidence and hopefully a lil less expensive.. ;)

Im sure that bike linked to in the first post that can do lots of things mine or the ebay special cant do, well climb a lot better and with panache ;) but are you going to be asking that much from a bike and need to climb near vertical rock faces?

Not to mention the annual service costs by an authorised dealer, required to maintain warranties, and the closed proprietary systems designed to stop diy service/maintenance/repair

Reactions: saneagle

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think the Wisper tailwind trail might be a better option with the 540wh battery for your requirements.

1) Battery size 400wh battery is quite modest, if you start going on longer rides (which lots of us started doing once we got e-bikes) you might have to limit your motor assist to get the range

2) Gearing. Top gear on that bike is 32 teeth on the chain wheel and 10 teeth on the smallest cassette on the cog. For light trails, tracks, pavements, you will be pedalling quite fast. The top gearing on the Wisper 48 teeth/11 teeth will be a more relaxing pedal speed to get the same bike speed.

3). Mid drive Vs Hub. For the riding you are describing a hub drive would be more relaxing and almost certainly cheaper to service and maintain. Why not try a hub drive and a mid drive and see which you prefer ?

4). Customer service. My experience of Wisper has been very helpful, even with a bike well outside it's warranty period and I think are geared up to provide long lasting support for their models

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes