how does recubaration work ?

Sep 24, 2007
I can't see the point of this. The front wheel acts as a generator for the rear wheel and requires energy input in order to turn. There must be some inefficiency here, so the rear wheel will not produce as much power as the amount of power inputted into the front wheel.

Presumably, one pedals the bike along and the front wheel spins. This generates electricity which then drives the rear wheel but with less energy than is being inputted by the pedals. So why bother?

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
i was just amazed that it works even on very slow speeds..
so the looses seems to much less i would have thought because otherwise the rear wheel wouldn´t turn

planky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2008
You just have to see how much effort he puts in to turning the front wheel to realise this is not too useful!

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
of course this is not "useful"
its an experiment as it says on the video...

a experiement is very seldomly useful ;) but it shows prinzips

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Years ago I saw in a bike magazine a similar thing which used a 'direct drive' cable to power the front wheel from the back wheel for mountain biking, giving you the extra grip on the front wheel for hill climbing and rough terrain. Doing the same with hub motors must be quite inefficient compared to a direct drive mechanism.