Hiplok problems

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Hi all, does anyone else have issues with Hiplok DX? I've had problems locking it every time. Asked a fairly fit looking and much younger cyclist to help and it took him 3 or 4 attempts to get key to turn in lock. Going to usenail varnish so I know which way round the bar locates. It locks easily when not under pressure, maybe I need to brace it in place while turning?
Managed 8 miles today (last mile in full assist with tired legs) but pleased with that....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's tiny! I wouldn't even get to the point of trying to turn the key, because I'd struggle to find things to lock it to. Might be quicker to angle grind through street furniture this thin and puny:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I can never see the point of such small locks you are so limited by what you can lock to and only the frame ?, what about the back wheel at least as well

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
It depends on how thick the post is, sometimes I can get the wheel in too, but not always. Couldn't insure it without the required standard lock, but might have to combine with a cable, which makes the very expensive lock pointless...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any cable will be a weak link and not insurance rated so a waste of time using , a pair of pliers side cutters would eventually chew threw a cable.
Personally for a decent D lock I don't think one will get better value then an OnGuard lock with 18mm shackle.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
small locks limit access to jaw type tools used to break the locks.. its a design feature in some cases.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Will just have to leave rear wheel out, or get a second lock. tBH I'm not going to leave it for hours in dodgy areas, mostly outside cafes or local cal shopping centre in broad daylight.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
One good thing about ebikes, the extra mass of locks isnt the big deal it can be under pedal power alone ;)
I would try 'working' the lock as it may be your item is at one end of the cumulative tolerances bell curve and just needs wearing in a bit??

repeated opening closing with it secured in a vice for leverage will be a bore but should work..

Reactions: Middlewife

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Any cable will be a weak link and not insurance rated so a waste of time using , a pair of pliers side cutters would eventually chew threw a cable.
Personally for a decent D lock I don't think one will get better value then an OnGuard lock with 18mm shackle.

100% I use BOTH an Abus Granite and Yale D locks both Gold rated, and I don't leave my bikes far or for long, also with e bikes you are not weight limited, I use a pannier and carry the 2 with ease. (2 bikes)

IMG_1623.JPGIMG_2948.JPGIMG_2949.JPGImg_1711.jpg

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Will just have to leave rear wheel out, or get a second lock. tBH I'm not going to leave it for hours in dodgy areas, mostly outside cafes or local cal shopping centre in broad daylight.
It only take seconds even in supposed safe locations.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The longest I leave my bike locked is 20/25mins when I do a food shop, I use two heavy duty D locks to secure the wheels/frame to the bike stand hoop.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll get a second lock, think the Abus is the only one longer than the 19.5 the hiplok is?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
It only take seconds even in supposed safe locations.

It depends I bet my safe locations are safe, it depends where you live doesn't it ?????????????

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I have few D-locks, but mostly use chain as it is long enough to secure few bikes and easy to transport when wrapped around seatpost. I don't think D-locks rattling in pannier bag is a good idea - not for me anyway.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I have few D-locks, but mostly use chain as it is long enough to secure few bikes and easy to transport when wrapped around seatpost. I don't think D-locks rattling in pannier bag is a good idea - not for me anyway.
Why assume D locks would rattle, in a back bag, I can't believe chains are silent

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
small locks limit access to jaw type tools used to break the locks.. its a design feature in some cases.
Looking at YT vids, materials which withstand angle grinders appear to be brittle. I guess if there was enough room, two long crowbars could be inserted to break a D lock.

The bike stand hoops at my local Asda are so thick I'd need to use chains, or daisy chain three or four D locks together. Glad I simply fold my bike into a shopping cart to wheel it around supermarkets. The security dudes don't care as long as it stays inside the cart.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Looking at YT vids, materials which withstand angle grinders appear to be brittle. I guess if there was enough room, two long crowbars could be inserted to break a D lock.

or daisy chain three or four D locks together.
THIS is why carry 2 d locks I can lock front wheel and rear wheel and frame IF I am stuck I can as you say daisy chain