Hi, New to ebikes looking into convert

JCs4ITnow

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2024
Hi,
I've had a cheap second-hand Chinese rear hub ebike for over a year. It's worked well enough, pulling a trailer everyday.
The trailer started to wobble, bearings going, so decided to get a seat, for the 2 year old.
With the extra weight reckon I'm going to need something more aimed at hill assist.
Thinking a mid drive conversion.
I have a frame that needs some TLC so can take my time building a replacement ride.
Just here for future support as recommended by a friend.

Reactions: Ghost1951 and Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
What is your general location? There are some good bike converters, but you need to be nearish to them to make it worthwhile.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thinking a mid drive conversion.
Details and photos of your bike? Bike and choice of mid-drive kit depending, it can be pretty easy. Before I found this forum, I mostly followed this video. BBS01B plug and play plugs only fit one way:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
It's a shame that you didn't find the forum first then.
I think it would be true to say that Guerney and I are both VERY happy with our Bafang crank drive systems. Speaking for myself, I can't get enough of mine. I'm clocking up the miles with a big grin on my face.

Maybe its a case of horses for courses since not everybody has the same requirements, but you might think that we are just like wild dogs on an island thinking that horse crap is good to eat, simply because they know no better.

Either way I'm delighted with mine.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think it would be true to say that Guerney and I are both VERY happy with our Bafang crank drive systems.
I think they call it blissful ignorance!

Actually, my comment was addressed to my friend Guerney. His bike has 20" wheels, which swings things significantly in favour of a hub-motor. There are some cases where bikes or riders are more suited to crank motors, but generally not for a touring or commuting bike; however, though not optimal, they still do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Actually, my comment was addressed to my friend Guerney
I ... have...... a friend? :oops:

It's a shame that you didn't find the forum first then.
I refer the honourable gentleman to remarks he made earlier:

How many amps would a legal Bafang CST rated 250W need, in order to match the Bafang BBS01B's climbing ability? Assume the BBS01B controller is limited to 15A.

I was going to convert my Dahon Espresso with a rear hub. I don't think I'll bother now. I'd get duffed up and stabbed by thugs, and my bike'd get "grabbed" on a hill.
You can run it at 48v and around 22A, It would blitz any bike/motor running at 36v and 15A on any road you're likely to encounter. There's also the Xiongda 2-speed, which is like a winch when you run it with 48v.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/looking-for-an-alternative-to-swytch-and-would-appreciate-some-advice-in-conversion-kits-general-discussion.45712/page-3#post-686768

But Saneagle, I don't know anything about WTF PLC settings :eek: My life's complicated enough without unfathomable and mysterious WTF PLC, no doubt requiring additional highly intoxicated and extra spitty but strangely vigorous mumblings of incantations preserved from the Age of Druids, before the Romans killed them all. Someday I'll source that woefully rare unobtanium steel alloy framed version of my bike, the one with 135mm rear droputs for a powerful motor, and make the perfect hill climbing hub driven trailer hauling monster, which also speeds over the flats.

I'm very happy at how it all worked out - I say "Worked out" because this excellent and inexpensive combination of excellent hill climbing ability, even when dragging up 90+kg bicycle trailers, while still providing speed over the flats, with the 36V controller set at only 15A drawn from a cheap battery, happens to suit my ebiking needs and wallet perfectly.

happens to suit my ebiking needs
...apart from the occasional dark night when I'm being chased uphill by your audibly unhinged mates on foot...

...which is when I will unleash 18.4A!!!!! Instead of the puny 15A illustrated above.

...because I don't know what will happen to my 22A BMS, when I draw 20A + 2A (lights soldered to battery) = 22A. Note to self: Switch off lights before unleashing 20A! If I hadn't lost so much weight, maybe I could ram and topple over the car. I used to be a blubbery orange rhino.

Last edited: