Hi from occasional ebiker.

cliverlong

Just Joined
Jul 27, 2024
Hi,

Clive here. I fitted a Swytch kit to a Specialized Allez. The fitting was ok but I had to file the bottom of the fork to fit the front wheel. The bike works ok and the P5 setting is plenty to get me up the hills I encounter in North London. The "max" battery range is disappointing as I'm not confident it would last a ride from North London to the centre and back. I'm debating buying a second Max battery but the accessories are crazily expensive - so I'm contemplating selling the bike as is with its limitations and buying a bike with a much greater range - mine would be 30 miles with 30% being moderate hills (if you know Hampstead or Archway - then there).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

Clive here. I fitted a Swytch kit to a Specialized Allez. The fitting was ok but I had to file the bottom of the fork to fit the front wheel. The bike works ok and the P5 setting is plenty to get me up the hills I encounter in North London. The "max" battery range is disappointing as I'm not confident it would last a ride from North London to the centre and back. I'm debating buying a second Max battery but the accessories are crazily expensive - so I'm contemplating selling the bike as is with its limitations and buying a bike with a much greater range - mine would be 30 miles with 30% being moderate hills (if you know Hampstead or Archway - then there).
If you're any good at simple DIY, you can add a connector so that you can use any 36v battery you want. Undo some screws, drill a hole, cut two wires, solder on a two connectors job done.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If I were you I would just add bigger battery as Seneagle said. 15Ah or even 20Ah would make a massive difference. Cost around £200.

Reactions: Ghost1951

dave-electric

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2024
Hi,

dave-electric

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2024
This kit is only for the older Switch GEN2 kit though, so would not be suitable for the newer model.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
This kit is only for the older Switch GEN2 kit though, so would not be suitable for the newer model.

Probably also adaptable for the even earlier Swytch Model 1 (with the LCD display). Much more professional looking than the 'bodge' I did with a Mk 1 case.

dave-electric

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2024
Thanks for the complimentary observation!
As I don't have a model 1, I can't verify, but I guess if the connector block is the same and the LED/switch pad, controller and wiring occupies the same volume, then it would work just as well. I'd be happy to send one FOC to someone with a model 1 to review/try, provided they could take photos.