Help with resetting Bionx charger - Dead on arrival

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
My Bionx kit has arrived and the Hi-Power Model HP204L2 charger is dead on arrival. troubleshooting at Bionx says to wiggle the voltage selection switch backwards and forwards to reset charger. I have done this several times to no avail. Cycle Heaven are sending a new one out in the post but does anyone have a fix?

C

Cyclezee

Hi PJM,

You say DOA, do any lights come on connected to the battery or not, Did you have to alter the voltage selector? Is power lead working and properly inserted, can you try it on another device?
Obvious questions I know, but just checking.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I have made sure the setting is for 230V. i have moved it backwards and forwards several times, as per bionx instructions. The red light comes on and fades instantly. power lead is fine. I am sure the charger is simply DOA. The supplier has ordered a replacement. i have at least had time to fit the kit. The marker line on the rear axle is not perfectly vertical so I wll have to source a puller to realign it. The deraillieur hanger brushes against the motor unit in 1st gear but I will have a look at adjusting that or simply not use that gear. Apart from that the fitting was very neat and simple.

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Hi,
When you connect the charger up to the battery and switch it on, are you getting the charger indicator light coming on ?
As a Trek dealer we have come across this problem with new batteries on the Trek bikes which use the Bionx drive system.
If you can let me know the situation with the charger indicator light I will try to advise you how to resolve the problem.

Elcycoltd

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Hi, the only light that comes on for the briefest of moments is the red light. The white led does not illuminate at all. I assume this would be green if lit. I have tried plugging it in to the battery and unplugged.
The battery itself is making an occasional electronic sound. Apparently this is a warning to charge. The battery was brand new and sealed but there is a date on the kit box of 5.6.10. I am a little concerned that the start point age may not be a good thing. The supplier advise that my warranty will start at point of sale. The display panel did turn on and enabled me to check that the brake switch worked. I turned it off and it will not now come on and I assume the battery is completely flat. I was impressed with the fit of the kit. I had the supplier install a 9 speed freewheel. I am going to have to fine tune the deraillieur as it touches the motor hub in first gear and have recentered the disc brake. Apart from that the kit itself looks very professional and uncluttered. I am sure the charger issue will be resolved and once I get a small puller to realign the rear axle I will be off and running.

C

Cyclezee

Hi again PJ,

The red light is the power light which should be staying on permanently when the charger is switched on.
The white LED should be orange when charging and turn green when the battery is fully charged.
I guess you can't see or hear the cooling fan running either.

I had the same issue of the rear deraillieur touching the BionX motor hub with a 9 speed freewheel. I resolved it by simply using washers as spacers slid on to the axle between the motor and the dropout.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Have you left charger on for at least 30 minutes with battery connected?

Your system will be probably be different to mine, but let me describe my experience which for the first 25 minutes of the charge was not what I had expected and very disconcerting at the time...

When my Kalkhoff 18Ah battery was delivered it must have been in a very deep state of discharge. There are no lights on the Kalkhoff charger, only the 5 LEDS on the battery. When first put on charge there was a very brief flash of the first LED every few minutes. I went to get a mains power meter to measure the mains power going into the charger. I saw 60 watts going in so I kept on watching and checking whether anything was getting hot. It wasn't.

After about 25 minutes the first LED started flashing at about once per second which is normal during charge up, and from this point to full charge the LED indications were normal i.e. what I have seen every time since then when charging.

That first charge took over 12 hours about 1.5 hours longer than the battery now takes to fully charge from a discharge to the point of low voltage cutoff.

My battery had a manufacture date code in Jan 2011, I received it in April, and has been working very well. It must have been in a very deep state of discharge when I received it.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I am not even getting the glimmer of red now. The fan is not working at all. I have the charger with me but no battery. I have to send the charger back today. I have plugged it in and left it on but nothing at all. Thanks for the spacer tip John. I will try and get some suitable washers.

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Hi,
This post may be too late if you have sent your charger back.
Of late we have had Trek bikes with the Bionx kit which have shown no sign of life and also not charging when connected up to the power supply.
With their system you need to install the battery on the bike then connect up the battery to the charger. Switch on the mains power supply but don't switch on the control switch on the bike.
Once you have done this you need to raise the back wheel so that it can turn freely and then spin the pedals for some time to get the back wheel turning.
On the Trek system, if you spin the back wheel and motor this then kicks the battery into life and it starts to take a charge, at this point your fan should come on.
With Trek, the battery would then charge as normal.

Elcycoltd

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Too late.

Oh well too late. Funnily enough I have just been checking it out and added the spacer washer that Frank recommended. It has pulled the wheel over but now I will have to readjust the deraillieur as it will now not go into first. It is not a great issue as I hope that first gear will be redundant.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey....I think I will be sticking with Wisper products for the foreseeable future

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
In fairness to Bionx the charger is a generic item. The new one arived and it is fine. I am still toying with the fit of the axle in the drop out and looking at a way of increasing the security. Again no fault of the kit but the drop out on the Trek 6000 is very shallow on the side where the antispin spline is. ps If the daahub had been available I would have given it a go but David said there a few glitches to iron out and I was looking to try and get on the road. Quality of the Bionx is top notch and in the short trial run I have done it works very well.

Jeremyadm

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2011
I just wanted to second Elcycoltd's response of the 9th August to the problem of a totally flat battery and an unresponsive charger. I bought a second-hand Bionx LiMn P-lite 250 kit. The battery was absolutely flat, and not charging at all. I tried all the jiggery with sliding the mains selector about (?), nothing, just the red 'power on' LED. Then I read Elcycoltd's experience with Trek bikes, how you need to spin the wheel to kick-start the charging: worked a dream and charged up overnight, the little fan whirring away. Thank you Elcycoltd and all of you whose comments and advice are gradually clearing the fog surrounding the Bionx product!