Hello, new to forum.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just clicked on the link you sent me, and still got the same message, " you have exceeded the maximum number of requests today. Please come back later.
I will try again later to see if you have sorted your website out.
I apologise. I have now adjusted the website.
Please try again.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Why not look at the Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD (1000W).
With 160 NM
The pedal torque sensor is pointless in my opinion. Because the idea is to improve fitness, health a bit. So sometimes it is better to press down harder on the pedal yourself for your own health and not have the motor do all the work for you, that is what the thumb throttle is for. If you get tired.
I have a Bafang BBFHD 1000W 52V. When I can't manage to go uphill on power "1" I put it on "2" or higher (motor power). I adjust the motor assist myself.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Why not look at the Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD (1000W).
Because they are illegal?

Because the idea is to improve fitness, health a bit. So sometimes it is better to press down harder on the pedal yourself for your own health and not have the motor do all the work for you,
On the contrary. The main purpose of an e-bike is to provide assistance. You can get a good workout as well of course if you wish and it doesn't matter if you have torque or cadence sensor.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Because they are illegal?

Each kit comes with a legalisation sticker for 250W.
So no worries.
Especially as, from what we read, the bike will be used mostly off road.

Besides, the police have no policy to randomly check bicycles. I know this from a very good source ;)
Naturally, if you commit a crime, the investigation will cover everything that was used in the crime.

This is the same as with the famous Van from TV Licence, which detected what anyone was watching on the street. 80% were fooled into thinking it did.
Don't feamonger people.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Each kit comes with a legalisation sticker for 250W.
So no worries.
Fake stickers are like fake driving license. Might get you out of trouble if you are lucky... or not.

Especially as, from what we read, the bike will be used mostly off road.
It doesn't matter if bike is used on road or off road.

Don't feamonger people.
I don't scare people. I just try to provide good advice.
Why would somebody buy illegal motor like BBS02 while legal and more powerful motors are on the market? Ignorance?

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Fake stickers are like fake driving license. Might get you out of trouble if you are lucky... or not.
How do you know it's a fake sticker? How do you recognise that a sticker is not genuine? Who is there to assess the originality of the sticker?
How do you know that an e-bike sold in a shop has 250W and not 350W/500W?
Because that's what the seller/manufacturer says or is it so on the sticker?
Are you comparing the sticker to a driving licence???
You pass your driving licence on the test, it is entered in the system.
And are you comparing it to, for example, a sticker on a motor that says it has 250W and not 300W?

Why,( with a 0.001% chance of being checked) should not take the information from the sticker?
How is he supposed to take the information about how many watts the motor has? A fortune teller?

I don't scare people. I just try to provide good advice.
Why would somebody buy illegal motor like BBS02 while legal and more powerful motors are on the market? Ignorance?
You are in denial with yourself.
How can you, according to you, have a legitimate motor with more power?
If you write that a BBS 750W is not legal, how can you buy a motor with more powerful legally?

1. I told you, I know from a very good source, that this is exactly what it looks like. Police have no guidelines or policy on e-bike kits.
2. There is no "van" as there used to be with TV Licence for bikes.
So once again, don't scare people.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Er My understanding is the sticker that manufacturers should place on bikes is a separate requirement from the motor rating and its stamp, and its listing of the motor rating is coincidental.

NO conversions have a legit sticker, since no conversion is the direct result of manufacturing so no manufacturer exists to print and apply any stickers..

Any stickers on a conversion must be fake,

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
How do you know it's a fake sticker?
I know... and you know... you are not in court... yet, so no need to pretend.
It is a fake sticker, isn't it?

You are in denial with yourself.
How can you, according to you, have a legitimate motor with more power?
If you write that a BBS 750W is not legal, how can you buy a motor with more powerful legally?
Ignorance it is... power of a motor is determined by controller. Combine legal 250W motor with 800W controller and you will have legal and more powerful motor.
...or ask manufacturer to downgrade motor. It is legal when manufacturer puts 250W sticker on. It is illegal when you do it. Not fair, I know.

1. I told you, I know from a very good source, that this is exactly what it looks like. Police have no guidelines or policy on e-bike kits.
2. There is no "van" as there used to be with TV Licence for bikes.
So once again, don't scare people.
With legal claims going as high as £20m, legality of your bike will be thoroughly checked if not by your insurance company then by lawyers of other party in case of any accident.

It is not only more logical to buy a legal motor, but it might be also cheaper. So why on earth somebody might want to buy illegal?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Stickers need to be from the manufacturer of the bike or the motor. The controller is surprisingly not separately specified in the regulations albeit that it determines the maximum output of the motor.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Any stickers on a conversion must be fake,

I bought a sticker which I have not yet applied to the downtube.

I did this for the convenience of any policeman who was interested.

The motor is stamped 250, but not 250 watts. It is a BSB001 Bafang.
It is set up with the max speed (25km hr) written into the firmware settings and not the LCD. It is certainly a 250 watt motor. The throttle is disabled - again in the firmware settings and not accessible from the LCD.

If the bike is not entirely legal - it isn't my fault, since i did everything I can to meet the confusing regulations and in spirit at least it meets all requirements of a pedelec in the UK.

The reason I say I got the sticker for the convenience of any curious policeman is that the motor is stamped on its lower part which can not be seen unless the bike is inverted and even then, that part of the motor is usually coated in cow shyte.

By the way - the probability of my ever being stopped and asked about the legality of this bike is probably about the same as my being a jackpot winner in the lottery.

Reactions: Az.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can easily prove that your motor is rated 250W on the bafang website.