Hello, new to forum.

JeffM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2024
Hi, I am trying to sort out getting an e-bike. I live in Mid Cornwall, so hilly, I have heart problems, so need help on hills. I live fairly close to the Camel trail, so that is where I want to use the bike, I can ride down a back road to get on the trail, but the hill back is very steep. I tried on a hire ebike, but couldn't get up the hill (rear hub drive) Any suggestions which is the best option please ?

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
It will be cheaper and much better to convert your current (if you have one or buy a new (used) one for conversion) bike to an e-bike.
Best for you would be a mid drive motor e.g. BAFANG 750W or 1000W.
You will be able to go uphill easily. I know, because I have one myself and can climb a 230m hill effortlessly, where the last climb of 1km (0.6 miles) is a 125m climb.
I should add that I'm not a lightweight myself, so you can imagine the power of this little bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, I am trying to sort out getting an e-bike. I live in Mid Cornwall, so hilly, I have heart problems, so need help on hills. I live fairly close to the Camel trail, so that is where I want to use the bike, I can ride down a back road to get on the trail, but the hill back is very steep. I tried on a hire ebike, but couldn't get up the hill (rear hub drive) Any suggestions which is the best option please ?
If you have steep hills and are unfit, you need 48v for a hub-motor bike. There are a few on Amazon and Ebay. Also Leon Bikes sell some.

What it comes down to is your ability to deal with problems. The cheap Chinese bikes are quite easy to fix and upgrade if you know basic DIY stuff. In that case, it's no problem to buy a mail order bike, but if you can't deal with that, you're more or less forced to buy something from your local bike shop and rely on them to sort out any issues. Naturally, that's a a lot more expensive than dealing in Chinese bikes from Ebay, and it limits your choice, but the worst thing is, I'd be surprised if they have something that really suits your needs.

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
Thanks, this is the type of thing I have been looking at, but I have been told not to go for the higher power motor, so to keep legal.

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
If you have steep hills and are unfit, you need 48v for a hub-motor bike. There are a few on Amazon and Ebay. Also Leon Bikes sell some.

What it comes down to is your ability to deal with problems. The cheap Chinese bikes are quite easy to fix and upgrade if you know basic DIY stuff. In that case, it's no problem to buy a mail order bike, but if you can't deal with that, you're more or less forced to buy something from your local bike shop and rely on them to sort out any issues. Naturally, that's a a lot more expensive than dealing in Chinese bikes from Ebay, and it limits your choice, but the worst thing is, I'd be surprised if they have something that really suits your needs.
Thanks, I have been quoted £2000 minimum locally to buy an e-bike, so I think conversion is the way to go.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For very steep hills, I would suggest the 48V Tongsheng TSDZ8 mid drive.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
48v systems are legal, and just have the capacity to feed more power to a motor. As long as the motor is rated at 250w it can be powered by a 24v system a 36v system or a 48v system.

Thing is the higher the voltage level the more potential the system has to power the motor when needed..

48v kits are also legal and available..

If conversion is on the table a mid drive motor might be a viable option .. (off the shelf mid drives are invariably locked up with proprietary tech) both Bafang and TDZ have powerful 250w mid drive motors and these can climb hills better by using the bikes gears,, Woosh is a uk mid drive kit supplier, as well as 48v hub drive systems.. ;)

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks, this is the type of thing I have been looking at, but I have been told not to go for the higher power motor, so to keep legal.
In case you don't know the rules to be legal, here's my guidance:

1. The motor must be rated at 250w. That's not how much power it makes. It's basically a formality of marking or listing for compliance. 250w motors can make anything up to about 3kw. That means that not all 250w motors are equal.
2. The power must stop when you stop pedalling. You can have a throttle, but it too must stop giving power when you stop pedalling.
3. The power must stop whenever your speed is above 15.5 mph.
4. There needs to be certain information on a label on the bike where it can be seen. There are some options, but basically, that's manufacturer (of the motor if a conversion), max speed (15.5 mph) and power (250w).

I don't believe the police care too much about whether throttles are independent or not. I've even seen them using an independent throttle to test the speed, and when the power cut at 15.5 mph, they said it was OK, though, as above, the bike is non-compliant.

There's no practical way to test power, neither is there a legal maximum, so you can push as much power as you want through your "250w" motor as long as it doesn't burn. It must be marked 250w.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
... so I think conversion is the way to go.
Only convert a bike that you really like!

I made the mistake of converting my existing bike which I liked but was a bit too big for me and became a problem (i.e. falling off when stopping!) when my knee deteriorated.
I really thought that I had wasted the money spent on converting it.

I was very lucky and got a brand-new old stock mountain bike at a huge discount and moved the conversion kit over to that. So I ended up with a new high spec bike for around £1,200, but as I said, I was VERY lucky.

Have a look at Woosh kits (and bikes). All their kits work as intended because the bits have been tested together to make sure that they are fully compatible - and in the unlikely event of a problem their after-sales service is superb.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Only convert a bike that you really like!

I made the mistake of converting my existing bike which I liked but was a bit too big for me and became a problem (i.e. falling off when stopping!) when my knee deteriorated.
I really thought that I had wasted the money spent on converting it.

I was very lucky and got a brand-new old stock mountain bike at a huge discount and moved the conversion kit over to that. So I ended up with a new high spec bike for around £1,200, but as I said, I was VERY lucky.

Have a look at Woosh kits (and bikes). All their kits work as intended because the bits have been tested together to make sure that they are fully compatible - and in the unlikely event of a problem their after-sales service is superb.
And don't buy the cheapest new bike at Halfords, for example, either!
I made this mistake because it don't want to convert my current bike.
I spent £145 on a new bike that is falling apart!
I've already replaced wheels, freewheel, brakes, saddle (it's more for comfort and convenience, e-bike means much longer distances).
If I could go back - I'd buy (if I didn't decide to convert my current one) a good used bike for ~£150. Even if it wasn't in perfect cosmetic condition. It will be better than the new cheapest junk.

Reactions: warlord0 and Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
imho criteria for a good donor for an ebike project is
1) Its well equiped with good brakes, 15 mph is pretty fast and the brakes NEED to be able to stop you.

2) Comfort is crucial, you will spend more time in the saddle significantly less need if not none whatsoever to stand up to pedal with an ebike (unless you want to..)

So think hydraulic disk brakes, and some level of suspension too perhaps, though aftermarket suspension seat posts are a thing too.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

Yes MID DRIVE

GOOGLE Mid drive V Hub Drive

I lived in Tavistock and Lanson (Launceston) so I KNOW the trail well

100% NOT HALFORDS CHEAP.

Try Tavistock Cycles, changed owner since I was there they were good. If they still exist.

Opposite Tavistock cemetery where I used to live ................ really 119.

IMG_1626.JPG

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
In case you don't know the rules to be legal, here's my guidance:

1. The motor must be rated at 250w. That's not how much power it makes. It's basically a formality of marking or listing for compliance. 250w motors can make anything up to about 3kw. That means that not all 250w motors are equal.
2. The power must stop when you stop pedalling. You can have a throttle, but it too must stop giving power when you stop pedalling.
3. The power must stop whenever your speed is above 15.5 mph.
4. There needs to be certain information on a label on the bike where it can be seen. There are some options, but basically, that's manufacturer (of the motor if a conversion), max speed (15.5 mph) and power (250w).

I don't believe the police care too much about whether throttles are independent or not. I've even seen them using an independent throttle to test the speed, and when the power cut at 15.5 mph, they said it was OK, though, as above, the bike is non-compliant.

There's no practical way to test power, neither is there a legal maximum, so you can push as much power as you want through your "250w" motor as long as it doesn't burn. It must be marked 250w.
Thanks for your information, you have explained it better than the info I have found online, I will try and decide what to buy.

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
For very steep hills, I would suggest the 48V Tongsheng TSDZ8 mid drive.
Hi, I just tried to look at wooshbikes, and am getting a message telling me I have exceeded maximum number of requests.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi, I just tried to look at wooshbikes, and am getting a message telling me I have exceeded maximum number of requests.
OOOOOOOOER hope its not a bad actor hitting the site maliciously, give it a while and try again could simply be the host getting overloaded..

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
Hi, I have been trying since last evening, and I still get the same message, I can access your online shop, but cannot find much info there.
Thanks Jeff.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Jeff,
You wll find more details on the TSDZ8 here:

The main difference between Tongsheng TSDZ crank drive kits and others is the Tongsheng kits have torque sensors. The main thing about motors with torque sensor is the output of the motor increases with your leg power. it's as close to normal pedalling as possible. Some people love them, some don't.
The TSDZ8 is the latest model, it has all the improvements on the TSDZ2B and more. The motor on the TSDZ8 is also beefier, more suitable for climbing bigger elevation.

JeffM

Jul 10, 2024
Hi Jeff,
You wll find more details on the TSDZ8 here:

The main difference between Tongsheng TSDZ crank drive kits and others is the Tongsheng kits have torque sensors. The main thing about motors with torque sensor is the output of the motor increases with your leg power. it's as close to normal pedalling as possible. Some people love them, some don't.
The TSDZ8 is the latest model, it has all the improvements on the TSDZ2B and more. The motor on the TSDZ8 is also beefier, more suitable for climbing bigger elevation.
I just clicked on the link you sent me, and still got the same message, " you have exceeded the maximum number of requests today. Please come back later.
I will try again later to see if you have sorted your website out.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just clicked on the link you sent me, and still got the same message, " you have exceeded the maximum number of requests today. Please come back later.
I will try again later to see if you have sorted your website out.
I think that's a cookie problem. You have to go to your browser settings and delete all cookies or delete your browser history to clear it.

Reactions: Cyclist