Hello from the North York Moors and question about seatpost

boltby breeze

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 28, 2012
I've read lots of very useful info and appreciated this website over the years but ashamedly I have not joined until now. After ten lovely electric years I am in the process of selling my Giant Lafree Twist Comfort on Ebay and have bought a bike that can do (so they say) 60 miles on a charge. Living in the North York Moors this will be useful. Got a bit fed up running out of juice (mine and the bike's) just before a big hill on the way home with shopping!

The new bike is a good ride but definitely rates lower in the comfort stakes so I am putting on a saddle with springs. I also thought about a suspension seatpost but the present seat tips forward to allow the battery to slide out behind it and the mechanism is part of the seatpost (I think). I'm not sure how I would fix a new seatpost to the seat unless I took the post out every time I wanted to get the battery out of the bike.

All suggestions welcome but I must tell you that although I am quite practical I probably don't know the technical name for some bike parts. Plus, this is the first forum of any sort I have joined so I may accidentally put things in the wrong parts of the forum. Please keep me straight!

Boltby Breeze

boltby breeze

Mar 28, 2012
Hello there and thanks for the quick reply. It's sad to say but I don't really know. Looking around I think it's a Chinese frame that various companies are putting their "bits" on. This is the bike of one company Savile Electric Bike, Electric Bike Store

I got my bike locally and he puts them on Ebay. This is the page
ELECTRIC BIKE 250W ROAD LEGAL WITH 120KM BATTERY ON ONE CHARGE | eBay

I've seen about half a dozen identical frames with different seat/battery/gear set ups. Although it's probably never going to be as comfy as the Lafree I thought it was worth looking at a suspension seatpost but got a bit flummoxed with the tip up seat set up.

Regards, Boltby Breeze

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is a well known problem since no-one makes a tilting suspension seatpost. Two suggestions:

A change of saddle to increase comfort, possibly gel type.

Fitting Schwalbe Big Apple tyres. These are known as "suspension for bikes" and make a very big difference to comfort.

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyres

boltby breeze

Mar 28, 2012
Thankyou very much flecc (and I feel very honoured as, over the years of looking in to pedelecs, I have seen your name many times). I had thought about a Brooks B67 as it has springs, rather than a gel seat (don't know why though). But not about tyres. I will investigate this and report back.

I am also looking for some full mudguards as the bike only came with the short plasticky ones. What criteria do I need to take into account before buying? I have been reading about people bending bits to make them fit. I am realising how little I know since the Lafree came with everything I wanted (without me knowing it) and therefore I never gave any thought to bike parts.

boltby breeze

Mar 28, 2012
Many thanks for your replies. I have a tilting seatpost (diam 27.2mm). I was after a tilting suspension seatpost. If that is what you are saying you have then I am all ears! What make, where can I buy?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apologies Boltby Breeze, my omission Roger is right, all the eZee models have their own one, but only in the one post diameter which isn't changeable. I have to say they don't spring for me though (70 kilos too light!) and it's very heavy.

I scrapped my eZee one so can't say the post diameter, can you oblige with that info Roger?

Boltby Breeze, your frame has mudguard stay mountings on the rear frame by the dropout and although I can't see in photos, it looks as though the front forks have. It's possible to buy proper mudguard sets with stays and also mudguard flaps to extend their effectiveness. I once bought a set in Halfords of all places, £16 in a sale to clear, otherwise online.

Last edited:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Hello there and thanks for the quick reply. It's sad to say but I don't really know. Looking around I think it's a Chinese frame that various companies are putting their "bits" on. This is the bike of one company Savile Electric Bike, Electric Bike Store

I got my bike locally and he puts them on Ebay. This is the page
ELECTRIC BIKE 250W ROAD LEGAL WITH 120KM BATTERY ON ONE CHARGE | eBay

I've seen about half a dozen identical frames with different seat/battery/gear set ups. Although it's probably never going to be as comfy as the Lafree I thought it was worth looking at a suspension seatpost but got a bit flummoxed with the tip up seat set up.

Regards, Boltby Breeze
Hi Boltby

I also bought one of those bikes - I had to go all the way to Richmond (when I bid I thought it was Ricmond, Surrey!)

Those bikes are actually excellent value for money. I'm failry sure that despite what the ad says, the battery you have is probably li poly not lifepo4 as described.

If you have a look here

Electric Bikes UK: Electric Bikes For Sale: UK: Europe: LifeCycle: Electric Bike World

You will probably see that apart from the wisper clone frame, the bikes are virtually identical, and both come in black or white. What you may also notice is that this model does have a sprung seatpost. They may be able to sell you one?

Anyway welcome to the site, and I'm sure you will enjoy the bike

Cheers

Nick

boltby breeze

Mar 28, 2012
Ooops. You did go a long way for the bike, but a marvellous part of the country. Yes, you are right on two counts, it was good value and there are many clones. I did wonder about the battery as there doesn't seem to be any identifying marks - were you told it was a PING battery?

There seem to be four basic frames and I wondered if there was a list from which bike parts could be selected. I have seen similar at Bearprint Electric Bikes. I will take up your suggestion and look around the other dealers for a sprung, tilting seatpost (or even go back to Mike in Richmond "in the North"). When I have a sprung saddle, a suspension seatpost and Schwalbe Big Apple tyres I may be taking inadvertent flying trips!

Many thanks.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Hello boltby breeze, glad to see there is somebody else in the NYM's with an electric bike! I've never seen another ebike around here (Chop Gate).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will take up your suggestion and look around the other dealers for a sprung, tilting seatpost
Wisper e-bikes went looking for a sprung tilting seatpost and the only one they discovered was the one eZee use, which they turned down as too heavy. It seems from the above that there are some other makes using it now, but I'll bet you'll never find one in a dealer and I'm certain there are no aftermarket ones in different seatpost diameters. Your post diameter at 27.2 mm is a very popular one and hopefully the one eZee use.

C

Cyclezee

We don't stock the eZee suspension tilting seatposts as spares, but I might be able to steal my wife's one for you when she isn't looking Boltby:eek:

boltby breeze

Mar 28, 2012
That is marvellous but will she not notice when she falls off her bike? Seriously, is that for real?