Heaviest haul with the Homcom trailer so far

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Black Jacks are fitted - they're 1.9" instead of the original 1.75" wide originals, which should add a little more useful air suspension for pumpkin carriage. When another Impac inner tube arrives next week, I'll try @Andy-Mat 's solution: lining the inside of the new tyres with the old. I like cheap - cheap keeps me cheerful, and I'm really really cheap.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
We have a small allotment, took a while, a few days work, to clear the brambles, but then we went No dig, covered the ground with cardboard and 100mm compost, planted potatos, kale, sweetcorn, beans, broccoli etc direct in that top layer. Nothing else to be done but occasional light weeding, water and harvest. Next year we won't have to buy in lidls cheap compost but have had time to save compost and get a trailer of well rotted muck from a stables (approx 1 cu m car trailer). I like no dig gardening!

As for trailer tyres, I've just tried Slime in mine, will see how we get on.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We have a small allotment, took a while, a few days work, to clear the brambles, but then we went No dig, covered the ground with cardboard and 100mm compost, planted potatos, kale, sweetcorn, beans, broccoli etc direct in that top layer. Nothing else to be done but occasional light weeding, water and harvest. Next year we won't have to buy in lidls cheap compost but have had time to save compost and get a trailer of well rotted muck from a stables (approx 1 cu m car trailer). I like no dig gardening!

My garden was so overgrown this year I almost gave up... but then I got this - you've got to try it, makes it all so damned easy. Powered by Jaffa Cakes and chocolate bars, I turned over 40ftX20ft (half of my area) within a day.

It looked flimsy in photos and I had my doubts until it arrived, but it's more robust than it initially looked. I reckon it'll last years - an alternative was the Autospade... but they have problems with the spring, which is hard to source these days, as are Autospades.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My garden was so overgrown this year I almost gave up... but then I got this - you've got to try it, makes it all so damned easy. Powered by Jaffa Cakes and chocolate bars, I turned over 40ftX20ft (half of my area) within a day.

It looked flimsy in photos and I had my doubts until it arrived, but it's more robust than it initially looked. I reckon it'll last years - an alternative was the Autospade... but they have problems with the spring, which is hard to source these days, as are Autospades.

Easier to put down cardboard and compost/mulch. Better for the soil structure, water retention etc.
Charles Dowding has a few videos on YouTube.

Reactions: guerney and sjpt

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
watched some of that and was amused to see him sitting indoors at his computer with the same boots he was wearing outside.:eek:

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't have a lot of time... I like minimal weeding, which is why I only grow pumpkins - they outgrow and grow over it all. I leave weeds to grow wild over the winter, then turn the ground over, let weed roots to die over few days then remove weeds to compost. I've got a few composting containers, including a couple of "Daleks" and one constructed from pallets, the latter I've stopped using because of the toxic anti-rot chemicals they contain, which will end up in my food.

We have a small allotment, took a while, a few days work, to clear the brambles, but then we went No dig, covered the ground with cardboard and 100mm compost, planted potatos, kale, sweetcorn, beans, broccoli etc direct in that top layer. Nothing else to be done but occasional light weeding, water and harvest.
Isn't soil healthier when worms can eat their way through it? Cardboard isn't just wood pulp, so I worry about the chemicals and plastic... also doesn't it disintegrate, and need to be replaced? I was half-thinking about covering it all with tarps this winter, would be an easier spring... but that isn't good for the soil. The wood wide web needs plants:

...which is why I leave it alone for part of the year. I'd be interested in Forest Gardening, but I really don't have the time for that, and doubt that many others would either - a friend did her entire PhD on this subject, and her forest garden is still feeding people 35 years on

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Was your slime tube really soft? (sorry - sounds a bit rude)

I tried to try slime tubes and tried to support my local LBS by buying from him, despite the fact that he's a total crook. While trying to fit them, I ruptured both within minutes - a very rapid waste of money. It could have been my being hamfisted, but I don't think so... my theory is, that they had been on the shelf so long the slime had softened the rubber. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. And the ruptures didn't seal themselves either. Maybe I would have had better luck with fresher slime tubes bought online?

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My experience with slime is (a) it doesn't help reduce punctures, and (b) it makes a real mess when you do get a puncture. I must admit my experience is quite limited; after two messy failures in rapid succession I gave up.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Was your slime tube really soft? (sorry - sounds a bit rude)

I tried to try slime tubes and tried to support my local LBS by buying from him, despite the fact that he's a total crook. While trying to fit them, I ruptured both within minutes - a very rapid waste of money. It could have been my being hamfisted, but I don't think so... my theory is, that they had been on the shelf so long the slime had softened the rubber. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. And the ruptures didn't seal themselves either. Maybe I would have had better luck with fresher slime tubes bought online?
It came in a bottle to dose the wheels with.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It came in a bottle to dose the wheels with.
Slime ended up all over the place... and then I spotted a warning on the slime website which stated it weakens metal, and they don't recommend it's use for more than some number of years. Washed it off best I could, bought new wheels since. @soundwave uploaded a pic of his shattered rim a while ago, having had used Stan's tubeless concoction.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yep they sure are.
They aggressively protect their nest within 10 - 30m and dessimate all insect life, esp honeybees.

I have heard naby a case where fit people with no past history have reacted badly and die from one sting. Generally away from the nest they pose normally little danger.
So far over the last six years all inccursions have been dealt with, if they do manage to get established they will cause not only big problems for the honeybees and other insects but will likely be an issue for humans over hear due to the housing density.

A nest of these buggers in full swing can be some 1m in diameter and they build the nests near to their main prey so within 0.5 km. Honeybees are their main prey.

They have had a time of it in jersey where they have become established and in france and portugal. The limiting factor over here may be our autumn weather being to cold and wet for them to get going properly.
Tarantulas aren't a threat to bees, but may be indicative of a warming climate

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Homcom did this year's final pumpkin haul last night, when the roads were quiet and emptier. Despite the pumpkin cargo being heavier, it was easy to haul over 12 miles, because I wasn't dragging a trailer which had a completely flat tyre this time lol.

I had difficulty lifting two of my largest pumpkins - must weigh those. The rest are pretty small in comparison, and easy to carry back in a rucksack. Small pumpkins are everywhere this year, due to the hot dry summer.

@matthewslack 's excellent GuerneyCar Deflectors did a marvellous job of keeping cars away. Handily, the pipe lagging arrived as packaging for my new wheels last year.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've just weighed the heaviest of this year's pumpkins: 19.8lbs. Most of the first wave of crown princes are around that weight, and the rest are smaller. About 28 (I think) in total, which is less than last year due to the insanely dry weather. What's surprising is that the two heaviest, are from the later planted second wave. I would have had to have made many trips to get that lot home without the trailer - water carriage would have been much harder too... this cheapo Homcom trailer was well worth buying. The tyres and inner tubes it comes with are utter crap, but the rest gets the job done.

As expected, the steel tubing has some rust spots where various things have scraped or pounded the paint away. Hammerite obviously, and white - but I'm also thinking about applying highly reflective paint of some sort. I don't know if anyone else here has tried this stuff, which might be laquer with tiny reflective beads? I might use this as a top layer to improve visibility. The photos are from a user review, looks like it might be of use. Black is a stupid colour for a trailer.

Also on ebay

Well, that's me sorted for winter veg, plus spring and much of summer - I was still eating the last of last year's harvest at the end of August this year, because they keep for ages if kept in cool, dark and dry conditions.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I've just weighed the heaviest of this year's pumpkins: 19.8lbs. Most of the first wave of crown princes are around that weight, and the rest are smaller. About 28 (I think) in total, which is less than last year due to the insanely dry weather. What's surprising is that the two heaviest, are from the later planted second wave. I would have had to have made many trips to get that lot home without the trailer - water carriage would have been much harder too... this cheapo Homcom trailer was well worth buying. The tyres and inner tubes it comes with are utter crap, but the rest gets the job done.

As expected, the steel tubing has some rust spots where various things have scraped or pounded the paint away. Hammerite obviously, and white - but I'm also thinking about applying highly reflective paint of some sort. I don't know if anyone else here has tried this stuff, which might be laquer with tiny reflective beads? I might use this as a top layer to improve visibility. The photos are from a user review, looks like it might be of use. Black is a stupid colour for a trailer.

Also on ebay

Well, that's me sorted for winter veg, plus spring and much of summer - I was still eating the last of last year's harvest at the end of August this year, because they keep for ages if kept in cool, dark and dry conditions.
My daughter got an extra pumpkin for Halloween one time, left on top of wardrobe and forgotten. Till it did what they do, foment in the warmth, explode and spread it's seeds and gloop across the bedroom.

Reactions: guerney and Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My daughter got an extra pumpkin for Halloween one time, left on top of wardrobe and forgotten. Till it did what they do, foment in the warmth, explode and spread it's seeds and gloop across the bedroom.
You've got to watch out for those Narnian pumpkins - wardrobes are their kryptonite :eek:

Those cables that my Dahon Helios has sticking out front, are a nightmare when power cables have to be soldered to exact size for lights and switches on the handlebar, so that the bike folds neatly. It's taking ages... And 3mm thick walled alumium rectangular section arrived today, which I was thinking of replacing the pallet wood with, upon which my battery is resting on the rear rack... but it seems too heavy - I'll stick with thin, light and rot proof pallet wood for now, I think.

Reactions: jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Amazing, this is the third time I didn't manage to kill my controller while adding lights. I might actually be getting the hand of this soldering lark. All lights work as intended. Now if drivers worry me, I can suddenly bathe my Homcom trailer in a red bright or bright flashing halo (the light will likely be hidden behind larger loads) without making myself nauseaus because the front two headlights are also flashing (or one flashing, other dim or bright etc.) If I contain the cargo with a large white rubble sack, my back will also be bathed in bright red light. Now all I've got to do, is plaster self amalgamating waterproofing rubber tape over all my soldered connections... then I'm ready for winter...

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I see these pumpkin hauls seem to be being carried out under the cover of darkness.

Are you a pumpkin thief ? :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's a daytime view of last year's pumpkin patch. Bamboo poles indicate where to water - in rainier summers they grow so vigorously, it's imposible to see where they start or end.

Related Articles

Advertisers