Having to replace Cassette after only 500 miles Cube Touring Pro 625

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So chain checker came in. Still all good as it doesn't through 0.5m so can only assume its the cassette. Here's the following response from the bike shop. Looks like i might try out a new cassette. Ebikes tend to go faster than normal bikes so using the lower gears will be likely, Rarely a need to swap to different gears as the motor will take care of any steep hills and such, seems like a catch 22.

Having reviewed the photo of your cassette i can clearly see you are predominantly using the bottom 3 sprockets which as i mentioned in the previous email this will greatly increase the wear on the cassette and chain if the full range of gears are not being used. Regardless of the age of the bike we would expect the customer to pay for worn parts. The strain of the motor will have caused the cassette to loosen over time as the pressure from the bottom 3 sprockets being used exclusively could cause the lock ring to loosen slightly.
What they're saying is a load of shine. There's no way using any gears can cause the retainer to come undone. As I already said, it has a locking spline. It can't come undone by itself, and if properly tightened is pretty hard to get off with the correct tools. For that reason, I never tighten mine more than enough to nip it up - maybe 10 Nm instead of the specified 40 Nm. You can feel when the spline starts to lock. I've never had one come loose.

• Agree
Reactions: FastFreddy2

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Mine has loosened 3 times in 24,000km.

When retightened on the road, the old fashioned judgement way rather than a torque wrench which I don't carry with me, sitting on the splined tool in a borrowed vice, ' turn the wheel as hard as you would an old bus steering wheel, without power steering'.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So chain checker came in. Still all good as it doesn't through 0.5m so can only assume its the cassette.

Having reviewed the photo of your cassette i can clearly see you are predominantly using the bottom 3 sprockets which as i mentioned in the previous email this will greatly increase the wear on the cassette and chain if the full range of gears are not being used. Regardless of the age of the bike we would expect the customer to pay for worn parts. The strain of the motor will have caused the cassette to loosen over time as the pressure from the bottom 3 sprockets being used exclusively could cause the lock ring to loosen slightly.
I'd be advising them to expect call from Trading Standards.... The warranty is for 1 year "parts", and your mileage is far from excessive. As many here will tell you, cassettes last for a long time. I've replaced the largest sprocket on my chainset and on my second chain, yet my cassette is still in good shape.

That Sunrace cassette must be made of cheese.

Lock ring loosen? Only if it was damaged, surely? (Or not fitted correctly to start with.) Maybe if you kept launching yourself with wheelies?

mrpie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2024
I'd be advising them to expect call from Trading Standards.... The warranty is for 1 year "parts", and your mileage is far from excessive. As many here will tell you, cassettes last for a long time. I've replaced the largest sprocket on my chainset and on my second chain, yet my cassette is still in good shape.

That Sunrace cassette must be made of cheese.

Lock ring loosen? Only if it was damaged, surely? (Or not fitted correctly to start with.) Maybe if you kept launching yourself with wheelies?
I've advised them of the locking spline, i'll see when/if they reply tomorrow. I had a look at the sunrace website. In the mean time i wonder if this will fit my current set if i dont get anywhere with the bike shop.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Tell that to the forum members, who think that those sort of bikes don’t get problems. Compare your experience with those that bought Woosh and Wisper bikes.
Really?

Although I didn't find out for a couple years, my Kona came with a spinning rivnut where a bottle cage (or battery) might be located. Original hole wasn't deburred, and rivnut wasn't tightened up correctly. I had to sort out the problem myself.

I have a (lovely) Jamis Dakar sitting in what is going to be my new kitchen, unused. Why? Because Jamis has sold every UK model with the rear brake line threaded into the wrong side for the internal routing of it. Even their promo pictures show it is so.

I have to empty the hydraulic system to remove the tube from the lever, and rethread it into the correct side. That or re-Americanise it. On my bike, the front brake also has a 360' twist in the tube, where whoever swapped the brake levers over for the UK market, wasn't paying attention.

Shimano motors on £5k bikes are legendary. Oval and/or undersize B/B (sleeve) on expensive carbon bikes? Zero warranty support for the customer and LBS.

The Cube Touring Pro has a retail price, somewhere North of £2000 dependant on which model is chosen. One sixth of that price will be VAT. Likely 25% of the residual will be LBS profit. 20% of that (again) goes to the government. That leaves a very pessimistic £300. The Shimano replacement cassette would cost the seller £30 (trade price with VAT to be clawed back). Provided the buyer agreed no further related claims in writing, what would be the poor business practice in posting a gratis Shimano cassette? Happy customer, drive chain warranty issue gone for good. Win/Win.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Really?

Although I didn't find out for a couple years, my Kona came with a spinning rivnut where a bottle cage (or battery) might be located. Original hole wasn't deburred, and rivnut wasn't tightened up correctly. I had to sort out the problem myself.

I have a (lovely) Jamis Dakar sitting in what is going to be my new kitchen, unused. Why? Because Jamis has sold every UK model with the rear brake line threaded into the wrong side for the internal routing of it. Even their promo pictures show it is so.

View attachment 56377

I have to empty the hydraulic system to remove the tube from the lever, and rethread it into the correct side. That or re-Americanise it. On my bike, the front brake also has a 360' twist in the tube, where whoever swapped the brake levers over for the UK market, wasn't paying attention.

Shimano motors on £5k bikes are legendary. Oval and/or undersize B/B (sleeve) on expensive carbon bikes? Zero warranty support for the customer and LBS.

The Cube Touring Pro has a retail price, somewhere North of £2000 dependant on which model is chosen. One sixth of that price will be VAT. Likely 25% of the residual will be LBS profit. 20% of that (again) goes to the government. That leaves a very pessimistic £300. The Shimano replacement cassette would cost the seller £30 (trade price with VAT to be clawed back). Provided the buyer agreed no further related claims in writing, what would be the poor business practice in posting a gratis Shimano cassette? Happy customer, drive chain warranty issue gone for good. Win/Win.
I think you're misunderstanding my post. I was agreeing with your other post.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Tell that to the forum members, who think that those sort of bikes don’t get problems. Compare your experience with those that bought Woosh and Wisper bikes.
This bike/these bikes are never going to get e-conversions, and are basically super-fast carbon road bike(s). However, a salutary lesson on what to expect from the brand.

What SHOULD happen..... This customer will recommend the brand to everyone he can.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mine has loosened 3 times in 24,000km.

When retightened on the road, the old fashioned judgement way rather than a torque wrench which I don't carry with me, sitting on the splined tool in a borrowed vice, ' turn the wheel as hard as you would an old bus steering wheel, without power steering'.
My cassettes have never loosened ever, I tighten them like The Incredible Hulk would if mildly depressed... a small way off Hulk Smash.

mrpie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2024
So i bought the casette service kit and swapped it around today. The lockring i got today with the set was extremly light so i opted to use the old one. 10g difference! . Installed, tightened as much as i could, i didn't have a socket to fit the lockring tool to torque it to 40nm. Indexed properly again now rides like a dream. With motor on i can pedal off with no skipping on the smallest cog. Old smallest cog has some warping on one of the teeth, that might explain the skipping on the cog.

Now the integrated light on the rear mudguard has stopped working, the problems just never end...

Attachments

Related Articles

Advertisers