Hailong mount plate compatibility.

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Hey guys. Can someone tell me which other sized Hailong batteries are compatible with the 20Ah one I bought.
Just thinking about a smaller spare I could carry.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Show a photo with the connectors showing. There are several HL variations of 4 or 5 flat pin, and I think some round pin ones too.

Reactions: SkyMonkey

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are three different bases and two different connectors, making 6 combinations. Any battery can have any of the combinations. It's nothing to do with size. You just have to check which version the seller is selling. Normally, they show a picture.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
male and female terminal blocks can be bought for £5-10 from the usual suppliers so can be retrofitted to match as long as the base slide is compatible..

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Here is the connector.
The base of the battery is 363mm (L) x 90mm (W).

Percypig

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2024
How are people stopping the battery from wobbling and shaking about whilst riding especially off-road? Have you fitted rubber spacers between the battery mount and frame and/or added additional rivnuts or velcro straps. I would not be particularly happy having a 5 kilo battery held in by two 5mm bolts! I am tempted to do all 3 for complete peace of mind.

Attachments

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Many people drill the downtube and add an extra rivnut and/or use a velcro strap. I didn't want to drill my frames and found that one or two pedal toe straps hold the battery firmly:-
As I only ride on roads or gravel tracks/canal towpaths these work well, but I wouldn't want to rely on them (or velcro straps either) if jumping over logs! These are 490mm long and go around the battery and downtubes on my bikes OK. Best to measure before buying though.

Reactions: Percypig

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How are people stopping the battery from wobbling and shaking about whilst riding especially off-road? Have you fitted rubber spacers between the battery mount and frame and/or added additional rivnuts or velcro straps. I would not be particularly happy having a 5 kilo battery held in by two 5mm bolts! I am tempted to do all 3 for complete peace of mind.
You need at least 3 rivnuts to hold a hailong type battery.

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I made up an aluminium plate to mount mine on. It’s then tie wrapped to the down tube with some strong cable ties as well as the two standard water bottle screws.

Attachments

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Although I have two bottle cage bolts and a third rivnut, I also have two wide velcro straps. My hailongs aren't going anywhere despite some bone shaking gravel tracks

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
I heard about a mounting plate from Grin Technologies and found one on Amazon UK.
It's called a Double Bob.
This bike is a road tourer, so I'm still not sure I will need the extra Jubilee clips that come with the 'Bob'.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I heard about a mounting plate from Grin Technologies and found one on Amazon UK.
It's called a Double Bob.
This bike is a road tourer, so I'm still not sure I will need the extra Jubilee clips that come with the 'Bob'.
I needed an adaptor on two of my bikes as the bottle cage mounts were too close to the seat tube. At first I contemplated buying one of those, but being a skinflint I baulked at the price!
I found a very similar one on Ali-express for £17.00, which came with the jubilee clips. I didn't need the clips in the end and decided to take a punt on the this for the second one:-

I left it in my ebay "favourites" and after a few days got an offer of £6.06 from the vendor. It took about 10 days to arrive from China. It mounts in a similar way and allows adjustment of up to around 50mm. You can use cable ties around the adaptor and downtube, but I didn't bother. Bear in mind that all of these adaptors only use the existing bottle mounts, so you are still relying on just two screws to hold the battery, but I've found that it is very firmly held if used in conjunction with one or two straps around the battery and downtube - like the toe straps mentioned previously. It does save having to drill for an extra riv-nut, as long as you are not into extreme off-roading.

Last edited: