Had a puncture recently on Schwalbe Marathon Plus

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Did you not patch the inside of the tyre?
I didn't Old Timer.
Because the Security Guard was waiting for me to finish before he could get on with his work I just fitted a new innertube.
I didn't know until it was fitted that the split was going to cause a bulge for the innertube.
Once I noticed that I did think of fitting a patch to the tyre itself.
Now I am too lazy to take out the wheel to do this.
When I mentioned the tyre wear rate I meant that with or without a puncture the tread seems more durable than the Kenda tyre that it replaced.
So far the tyre is holding up and I am not anticipating having any problems with it but time will tell. :)

Barry.

whitesl

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2011
I pulled a 1.5 inch plastering screw out of my marathon plus with Slime inner tubes. The tyre had met it's match. Not an easy job in terrential rain. It was the rear wheel of my Alien Aurora. It wasn't the easiest to fix but knew I'd have to do it one day. Other than that the tyres have been good.

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
I pulled a 1.5 inch plastering screw out of my marathon plus with Slime inner tubes. The tyre had met it's match. Not an easy job in terrential rain. It was the rear wheel of my Alien Aurora. It wasn't the easiest to fix but knew I'd have to do it one day. Other than that the tyres have been good.
hi what size marathon plus did you buy for aurora.thinking about bigger myself

bike -alien aurora

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
hi what size marathon plus did you buy for aurora.thinking about bigger myself

bike -alien aurora
I`ll jump in here if I may. although I have the basic Marathon Plus tyres on all my bikes I opted for a pair of Marathon Plus TOUR version at 1.75 size for my Aurora and I must say the combination has worked a treat for over a year, just seems to have a touch more grip over the dirty gravel type conditions around the quiet lanes where i live and ride. I suppose they might have a tad more drag if you had them on a basic pedal only bike but on the e bike and more so the Aurora I haven`t noticed any drag. The tread pattern is very similar to the basic model but just looks a tad more chunky( not a lot) I carry a lot of weight on the bike inc two batteries and panniers stuffed plus camera gear at times and they handle well even in the wet. Link Schwalbe - Professional Bike Tires - Tour/City

Hope it helps

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've a feeling that this Tour version with it's thicker tread will be even better at puncture prevention that the standard Marathon Plus Dave. Anything trying to penetrate will need to be that much longer and the thicker tread blocks will have a better chance of flicking aside sharp flints or glass shards.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hiya flecc

Yeh! I think you are right, the tread is decent on the Tour version and makes you feel a bit more confident. It`s quite a heavy bike to start with before you load it up and it does seem to run nice on those tyres . Where I notice it is after heavy rain when the debris is washed into the road the Tour tyres tend to ride through it without being deflected if you know what I mean.

Hope all is well your end? I seem to be going from one thing to another these days, I went to the doctor last week with very low down pains on the left hand side and after she examined me (which made a nice change:) she gave me some antibiotics for what she thinks is a touch of Diverticular disease! I`ve been taken them( 500mg of Amoxicillin three times a day for 4 days so far) with three days to go and although it has eased up a bit it is still there) Getting old ain`t for wimps:-(

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Getting old ain`t for wimps:-(

Dave
It sure ain't Dave, I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh would agree at the moment too! Only two types of tablets for me so far, one of those I very much doubt I need except my Doctor is one of the "every possible precaution" types. He went on holiday mid July and is due back mid September, talk about alright for some!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
my Doctor is one of the "every possible precaution" types. He went on holiday mid July and is due back mid September, talk about alright for some!
Ah, now; I had similar thoughts about my GP of old and it turned out he spent a month every year doing volunteer work in parts furrin where medics are few and far between.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Can be as flecc said a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,....eg. Cadell Evans in tour had three tacks others no problems, sometime called bad luck..