getting ready for winter

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
I have on my bike 1.75 tyres on My alien aurora I am going to invest in some more tyres ready for winter would I be best buying 2.0 for more grip or would I lose speed on dry days and would the wider tyres be better over the dreaded pot holes any info or suggestions welcome
thanks

bike -alien aurora

D

Deleted member 4366

Continental top Contact Winter 2 tyres are specially designed for grip in dodgy conditions. They have a fairly normal tread pattern, so should roll as good as anything. I haven't actually used them yet, instead I switched to the standard Top Contact tyres last winter because I kept slipping on my Scwalber City Jets. There was loads more grip from the Contis, which gave me more confidence. I think mine are 26 x 1.95.

Edit: The picture that came up when I looked at the Conti winter tyre was wrong. I just looked again because I'm thinking of getting some and could see that the tread is different - not quite like a normal tyre. Another thing that I noticed is that the tyres are guaranteed against punctures, so if you get one, they give you a new tyre and tube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
For me it's marathons, With Michelin c4 protec tubes

Last edited:

sal_park

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2012
...I am going to invest in some more tyres ready for winter...
I'd suggest you go for winter tyres (something like the winter 2 mentioned below) rather than a specific width. I'm not sure if people generally realise, but winter tyres have a different rubber compound which remains soft at lower temperatures and hence will have more grip than a summer tyre for the same situation. Also once you've invested in some winter tyres you can just swap back to your summer tyres when the time comes and hence don't have spend any more on tyres (although there is a greater up front cost).

I cycled through snow and ice during the last winter and bought a single winter tyre without studs (I think it was a Continental top Contact Winter 2) and I think that was a bit of a mistake as I slid on some ice and fell off :(. This year I'm going to buy another conti with studs and see how that holds up.

hth

sal

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd suggest you go for winter tyres (something like the winter 2 mentioned below) rather than a specific width. I'm not sure if people generally realise, but winter tyres have a different rubber compound which remains soft at lower temperatures and hence will have more grip than a summer tyre for the same situation. Also once you've invested in some winter tyres you can just swap back to your summer tyres when the time comes and hence don't have spend any more on tyres (although there is a greater up front cost).

I cycled through snow and ice during the last winter and bought a single winter tyre without studs (I think it was a Continental top Contact Winter 2) and I think that was a bit of a mistake as I slid on some ice and fell off :(. This year I'm going to buy another conti with studs and see how that holds up.

hth

sal
The Contis tend to have micro spikes that aren't easily seen, from my experience with the Conti Winter 1s they have just as good a grip on ice as the Marathon winters. I tried the snow studs (in the link above) and the marathon winters, I wouldn't get the snow studs again but the Marathon winters were ok apart from studs falling out.
If I was riding this winter I'd try the Continental winter 2 tyres, they are not puncture proof at all but should provide a good level of grip when 2 are fitted. No winter tyre is going to give you much grip on sheet ice but I've found they work very well when a normal tyre would fail badly, I still fall off occasionally but not much at all.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
If I was riding this winter I'd try the Continental winter 2 tyres, they are not puncture proof at all
:confused::confused::confused:

Two layers of Vectran fabric underneath the tread give unrivalled performance and puncture protection, with Vectran proven to be stronger and lighter than aramid belts.
- Including 2 layers of Vectran anti puncture material under tread

D

Deleted member 4366

No tyre is pucture proof, but it's a bit of a bonus if you get a new tyre and tube every time you get a puncture. I wonder how that works. It'll be a bit of a pain if you have to send the punnctured one back first. I guess most people wouldn't bother.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
They are no more puncture proof than any other puncture resistant tyre and certainly not as good as MPs. The guarantee is rubbish to me as I'm not going to bother sending the tyre back for something that will take me 5 mins at the roadside to fix.
That said I like the Conti winter tyres and would buy them again.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
I have on my bike 1.75 tyres on My alien aurora I am going to invest in some more tyres ready for winter would I be best buying 2.0 for more grip or would I lose speed on dry days and would the wider tyres be better over the dreaded pot holes any info or suggestions welcome
thanks

bike -alien aurora
So did you fit new winter tyres on the Aurora?
I saw the ice too late this morning and slid and fell sideways, but survived with only a bruised ego and torn rain trousers.
I am now looking for studded tyres for my Aurora.
Does width matter? My current tyres are 26x1.75.
Narrowed down to these 2 options:
Schwalbe Snow stud 26x1.9
Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26x1.75

Or I am open to better or cheaper suggestions...

Thanks!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
So did you fit new winter tyres on the Aurora?
I saw the ice too late this morning and slid and fell sideways, but survived with only a bruised ego and torn rain trousers.
I am now looking for studded tyres for my Aurora.
Does width matter? My current tyres are 26x1.75.
Narrowed down to these 2 options:
Schwalbe Snow stud 26x1.9
Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26x1.75

Or I am open to better or cheaper suggestions...

Thanks!
Sorry to hear you slipped on the ice - and glad no serious damage !

I have a pair of these studded tyres in the garage which are great but I didn't bother fitting in the end, opting for the Continental Top Contact Winter 2 tyres instead :

SUOMI TYRES

You can pretty much cycle over a skating rink in those Finnish ones - but they are not designed for clear pavement. For a bit of ice, I think the Contis are the best option - despite being Winter tyres, they are certainly far nicer to ride and actually a bit faster than my Marathon Plus Tours which is an unexpected bonus. The Suomis will only be getting fitted if it freezes over for a few days - and then they'd be taken off again when the conditions ease. Thought of riding on studded tyres all Winter when bits of ice come and go is one step too far !

I may change my mind if I end up going A over T but for now fingers crossed everything has been OK. The Contis come in a 26" and so do the Suomis (formerly Nokian).

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Although i try and avoid riding in ice and snow,everything i have read on car tyres shows,studded tyres are for use in actual snow and ice only,not on dry and clear roads,and certainly with cars from experience and googling the wider the tyre the worse it is in the snow.