Getting on and off a bike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...said person who is ghost pedaling step through Brompton ;)
My electrified 20" wheeled Dahon Halios P8 folder gets me to work sweat free, that's what it's specifically for - I slow jog and circuit train for exercise, including a lot of kicks at various heights. Getting on and off the Espresso is no problem.

(Not my Espresso, but I wish it was)

Last edited:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I'm not sure if it's age and I don't bend so well, or the rear rack with bags I've fitted catching my leg, but I'm struggling a bit to get on and off my mountain bike. I don't think it's helps I have a horizontal crossbar though.
Next bike I buy could do with being a step through as that looks bliss. Anyone else think they are an accident waiting to happen? Ha... If you are, your not alone.
Was worse today with my wets on. The plastic trousers add difficulty hoping on and off.
Got some ideas I've found online ,so I'll give those a try.
Also I starting to think the gravel drive we have is not a good solid place to start off or stop.
I have the same problem because after a new knee op, it would only bend to 90 degrees. So had to shorten the cranks AND raise the saddle considerably so that the leg could cope with the 'over the top' part of the crank rotation. I have to set the pedal as high as possible and stand on it when getting on the bike so there is less height to swing the other leg over. Easier on the bike with the throttle but have to be quick with the newer MTB. For getting off, since my feet barely touch the ground, the thing is down in reverse! The MTB also has a dropper seat post which I can set low before getting on or off the bike to make things easier. The other thing you could do is lay the bike on the ground. Step over it with one leg, then pull it vertically upwards. Not elegant but saves some muscle ache from trying to stretch your legs upwards so much.

Reactions: Wayners

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Dropper seatpost. Absolute godsend.
Push it down, swing leg over, hit the lever and it pops back up behind you. My bike has a rack and rack pack+panniers on it and i can about clear that, so also having the post dropped right down makes it super easy to get on or off.
Provided the dropper post is not from Giant perhaps. The one fitted to my (Giant) MTB is on its second set of strips of plastic! which stop the saddle from rotating. They are fitted to prevent damage to the alloy sections which slide up and down. No spares were available in the UK according to Giant, so I cut my own. Did not last too long so now considering brass as it is used by other dropper post manufacturers.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've tried all those methods and I struggle tbh.
Having my rain trousers on yesterday I could not get my leg up and over saddle although I tried. Ha

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just for interest.
Popped up.

I haven't ridden a normal bike with a high crossbar since the late 80's early 90's, and back then I used the bad technique he mentions first lol. Easy for me because I was big into Karate at the time. These days, it's even easier because my 20" wheeled folding bike is a low step over, and my bike saddle is at an extreme angle so I don't need a dropper post.

One of my cycling friends does pilates, says it helps flexibility. I don't know if they utilise pulleys like the inventor of pilates. I suspect his back pain originates from muscle imbalance caused by cycling, setting off his sciatic nerve.

Once my folding 26" wheeled Dahon Espresso is completed (if ever), I'll see if I can still get my leg over as easily as I used to.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For some reason he didn't consider the combination of tilting the bike and then leg over the top tube; and the top tube is lower than the saddle he has to get over in his second (preferred) method. He also didn't mention getting on the front of a tandem.

Meanwhile... I'm still looking for a decent second hand low step tandem, and love our low step solo.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@saneagle

It's a 20inch frame and with the battery and pannier weight plus getting leg over pannier I can't do it very well.
I've tried and nearly fallen off a few times. Guess I don't bend like I used to

AntonyC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
With rain trousers swallow your pride, hitch up the crotch and raise a knee to keep it in place, then you can have two hands on the brakes while doing what saneagle said. If you're used to leaning on the (braked) bike and ending astride the crossbar (not the saddle) it's easier.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I'm not sure if it's age and I don't bend so well, or the rear rack with bags I've fitted catching my leg, but I'm struggling a bit to get on and off my mountain bike. I don't think it's helps I have a horizontal crossbar though.
Next bike I buy could do with being a step through as that looks bliss. Anyone else think they are an accident waiting to happen? Ha... If you are, your not alone.
Was worse today with my wets on. The plastic trousers add difficulty hoping on and off.
Got some ideas I've found online ,so I'll give those a try.
Also I starting to think the gravel drive we have is not a good solid place to start off or stop.
In the same position myself and needing a new hip and knee on same side as well. Luckily my DIY bike has a throttle so I can stand on the LH pedal and , leaning foreward, swing my right lag over my over high saddle, all without loosing momentum. Can't put the saddle down as the other knee will not bend more than 90 degrees. My other bike is a Giant Trance E+3 with a dropper seat post, so I mount and dismount with it in the low position. Things we do to keep on peddling eh!

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
All that karate during my teens continues to pay dividends - I can still execute a roundhouse kick at head level. There's much to be said for maintaining strength and flexibility, they don't have to decline as we age. Use what you want to keep and improve.
I recognise that a lot of us are no longer in the first flush of youth, including me, and some have joint trouble and arthritis which is a special case. That said, aside from those with special challenges, I think Guerney is right and if we make things too easy we will only lose more ability. Again - aside from those with special challenges, I would say the rest of us crocs, need to push hard to keep our abilities and flexibility and strength.

Reactions: SkyMonkey

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
All the gear on and large rucksack with 20inch bike converted with a suspension seat up high it's a struggle tbh. Managed it so far and will continue using bike but just fancy something easier to hop on and off. I'm on my feet all day covering 6 office blocks plus 2 other local sites and im cream crackered. If I could convert my bed to go home I would. Ha

Reactions: Ghost1951

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020

Superb, when my seat broke last week I got my 40 yr old Claud Butler back on the road for a couple of days....the thing I missed most was the dropper seat, comfortable feet on the ground at lights etc plus much easier to mount and dismount.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I recognise that a lot of us are no longer in the first flush of youth, including me, and some have joint trouble and arthritis which is a special case. That said, aside from those with special challenges, I think Guerney is right and if we make things too easy we will only lose more ability. Again - aside from those with special challenges, I would say the rest of us crocs, need to push hard to keep our abilities and flexibility and strength.
Legs feel like lead today, but the chest tightness has turned into a bruised feeling which isn't as bad. My uphill slow jog yesterday was interrupted by this storm which went on for ages flashing thundering - I had to stop recording out of fear of my phone becoming drenched (OnePlus didn't make much effort waterproofing the V5), because the rain became heavier, suddenly filling the bus shelter with steam. I'll slow jog a couple of miles later, to keep muscles from seizing up too much. Exercise what you want to keep.

WARNING! Entire minutes you will never get back!!!!

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I used to be a keen runner in the past. When I was forty, I could do a half marathon in 1 hour 18 minutes. It is important for those who have not been running recently, that they start SLOWLY and GENTLY and do SHORT distances, gradually increasing in all three dimensions.

If you don't start easy and build up, but instead just rush into it, you will suffer for it and this will stop you continuing.

A good approach for the non runner wanting to get fit, is to walk 100 paces, or a fifty meter lamp post interval, then slow jog the next same interval, and then walk, and then slow jog. After a daily round of about a mile like this, after about a week, increase the speed a little, and do another week. Then double the length of the running distance, but keep the walking one the same. Then stop the walking and run the mile for a daily exercise for a week or two, then do two miles. Pretty soon you will be doing half marathons if you build it up like this.

No pain
No exhaustion
No bad joints.

People who have heart problems should talk to the doctor first. Other people can just do what I said above. Never keep going as a beginner if you start to feel bad. Just walk home and sit down.

• Informative
Reactions: Az.

Related Articles

Advertisers