FreeGo Eagle

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
yes, must be quite frustrating but £900 for such a bike with so large battery seems to be quite a good bargain. Do you know who makes this battery and what type is it?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Alex,

I don't know who the battery manufacturer is, only that it is 36v 17.5 Ah Lithium Ion.

There is an identical range to Freego sold under the name of Bearprint Bearprint Electric Bikes
When I checked, their equivalent model to the 2010 Eagle was £1299.

J:) hn

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
17.5A it's a really monster battery, have you tried how far can you go on a single charge

Apetito

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2010
What a shame Aldby hates the bike so much.

As it is such an awful bike why not put it on EBay and get rid of it.
Achieved my ambition yesterday I had another long run 12/15 miles in the sun and managed to run the battery flat. Left me about 2 miles to cycle home. I will agree with Aldby in one thing. The gearing is too low. Have not needed to get out of 6th gear yet.
It's by far the best of the three Electric bikes I have owned.:D

C

Cyclezee

As it is such an awful bike why not put it on EBay and get rid of it.

It's by far the best of the three Electric bikes I have owned.:D
My intention is not to sell it, but upgrade it to a more acceptable standard if possible. I would certainly not rate it as the best bike I have owned, but neither is it the worst. Value for money? The jury is still out on that one;)

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
The Eagle is by no means perfect, I am not sure that any bike is. But at a price level of just under a grand, in my opinion, the bike relative to general Ebike pricing, represents good value for money.

It is up there amongst the most powerful of the current crop of 'legal' hub bikes and has a battery range (and price) to die for.

The components are not the best, but are functional:
The gear set changes gear adequately, not sure how I will benefit from upgrading.
The front and rear discs will stop you on a sixpence, not sure I will benefit from upgrading, as I certainly wont be hurtling off-road down a mountain slope.
Ok, you cant quick release the handlebars, but once set, how many times do you need to do this? Generally, once is enough, unless you have multiple users, or are a serious MTB rider.
Changing the saddle and seatpost is down to personal preference and I might change this also, but hardly a reason not to buy the bike!

I test rode this bike before I bought, so knew what I was getting. My opinion has not changed, this for me is a good purchase, which up to now has given a lot of pleasure and I am sure will continue to do so.

This is my fourth Ebike.

However, the power of this forum, is that everyone has an open voice and is entitled to there opinion. I enjoy reading most of the posts and a balanced view is beneficial to all, particularly when reviewing bike performance.

C

Cyclezee

Hi IOM,

The bike at £999 was not too expensive in comparison to other brands, but it is now selling for £1499 which puts it in a different league as far as build quality and components is concerened. Their are several better bikes available for less money.

As far as the battery concerned, I agree, unbeatable for price and range and my main reason for buying.

My issue regarding the handle bars was not about them being quick release, but the height adjustable stem to suit my size and style of riding. I appreciate it was not a standard fitment on the 2009 model.

I agree it is always best to try before you buy if possible, but I was not able to do so and took gamble as it was one of only two left at the 2009 price.

For me this is e-bike number 31:eek: , so I do have some knowledge and experience of several other bikes.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi John,

Similar reason for buying, for me it was motor, battery and priced less than £1,000.

I thought they were keeping the standard Eagle Crossover bike and the 2010 model is branded as a MTB version. Its a heck of a hike in price for adjustable bars, suspension and stainless bits. At £1499, I agree that you would look at the bike far more critically compared to current competition.

In my opinion, priced at £999 they should sell well. At £1499, they could have made a marketing slip up, especially as a fledgling company.

31 Ebikes!! that must be a record! Why so many?

Last edited:

Apetito

Jun 5, 2010
£999 as well

I also paid £999 for mine and was told there were only two left at that price from the dealer in Southampton so I grabbed one.
My nearest dealer in Sandwich , Kent has 'Eagle Crossbar', that looks like mine from the photo on their website, at £1,199. Their All Terrain is £1,399. As you say at £999 it's a good price.
After a full charge have done around 15 miles today and the fourth light is flickering. :)

Cheers
Tony of Graveney.

Apetito

Jun 5, 2010
Eagle Battery

Not sure who you are asking but if it's me. I ain't got a clue. There's nothing marked on the Battery Box.
Tony

Apetito

Jun 5, 2010
Sprocket

Would a 48 tooth front sprocket do the trick. It would fit inside the chain guard ????????

C

Cyclezee

Chainring

I personally would opt for a 52 tooth chainring and discard the chainguard;)

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi DMSIMS,

Not sure exactly what your question relates to! If it relates to the Eagle, the battery is Li Ion, or do you want some general information about the relative performance of the two battery types?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Choosing an Electric Bike Battery: Advice on Buying Rechargeable Electric Bicycle Batteries

Lithium-Ion (Li-ion). Lightweight and maintenance free, these batteries have a long life and can be fast charged. They are, however expensive and can be unstable so must be used with a battery management system to maintain the stability of the chemicals, charge and temperature within each Lithium cell. Latest generation Li-ion batteries using iron phosphate (LiFePO4 or LFE) are far more stable.

Lithium-Polymer (Li-Po). The lightest (typically 10-12 lb.) and newest of all e-bike batteries, these are even better than Li-ion models as they are more stable and have low levels of discharge but naturally they are the most expensive.

Apetito

Jun 5, 2010
It's just I have been quoted £19.99 for a 48 that does fit within the chainguard.
Cheers
Tony B

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
What is the consequence of not carrying out two conditioning discharges?
I took the battery to the flickering light once. Since then, I charge after every trip.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I dont know much but perceived wisdom is that you FULLY discharge twice.

flickering lights does not mean it is discharged.... when the wheel stops is where you need to be I think

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On most just down to the flashing light is enough. The Pansonic unit bateries need to be taken down at least once to the fast flashing stage, the slow flashing stage being inadequate for calibrating the battery meter zero.

On full discharge cycle is usually enough, but two makes sure of achieving the best result. After the first occasion, a second full discharge cycle can be delayed a few days with other use meanwhile if necessary, it doesn't have to immediately follow the first.