FreeGo Eagle

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Well I went for a test ride this morning and first impressions were stunning. Beautiful looking bike (MTB version) and very powerful. Rode up the steepest hill out of Ramsey effortlessly in top gear, not sure of the gradient but a reasonable test. Three power modes, which will enable me to continue my fitness drive, but can't see anything defeating mode 3.
Some nice touches, including an in-line connector, enabling easy rear wheel removal.
In my view at less than a grand, this is serious competition to the more expensive bikes listed on this forum. Dealer network seems to be growing, but much to early to judge after sales service.

Needless to say, I bought it.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Can you post some pictures please. how much for a replacement/extra battery?

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Will be delivered tomorrow, so will try and post some piccy's. He wasn't sure on replacement battery cost, about £300 he said. I will find out and post. Battery warranty is two years, so they must have some faith in it!
Not going to get much chance to do a thorough test, I go back to China on Tuesday.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Siounds good. It will be interesting to get your feedback after all your experience with the Giant Suede, but I'm not surprised you found it much more powerful after the Suede.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Flecc,

You might be thinking of Bikerbob, I currently have the Powacycle Salisbury. Your comment however remains, as this is a major step up in power for me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc,

You might be thinking of Bikerbob, I currently have the Powacycle Salisbury. Your comment however remains, as this is a major step up in power for me.
Oh yes, I was, and forgot your Salisbury too, same applies though as you say.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
However, my Ebike in China is a 68v 12a with a 400watt motor. So I am very familiar with low powered and high powered bikes. Believe me, from my limited test this morning, the Eagle appears to fall into the high power category.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, these SB type hub motors typically have gross "peak" powers that they can in fact sustain of between about 500 and 700 watts. The "legal" one on my bike is 720 watts gross continuous and has been measured at over 1000 watts peak. That's probably a peak of about 750 watts net.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Replacement / extra battery (36v 17ah), confirmed at £300.

Last edited:

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi, I'm sure this bike is reviewed favourably in the current issue of A to B? I'll try and dig my copy out to double check

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Impressive. The white Kingfisher MTB looks very nice. Interesting range and spec not to mention price.

neilmeansneil

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Are these Freego bikes the same as the Bearprint bikes that were the subject of some heated debate a while age?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Are these Freego bikes the same as the Bearprint bikes that were the subject of some heated debate a while age?
I have already asked this and I think they are as they look identical. if the warranty and claims hold good, and parts remain available...with a battery at £300 even if it lasts they may be OK but who knows. But we need more choice and better value bikes so fingers crossed:)

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Went for a long ride today and first impression is excellent. The hill climbing ability is awesome, I have no idea of gradients, but will post some pictures later to give you an idea.
Initially I rode my normal 20 mile circuit, which after 16 months on the Powacycle Salisbury, I average around 15.8mph, this has contributed greatly to a weight loss from 97kilos to 81 over the same period. Apart from a couple of steep climbs, the FreeGo will do this on throttle only, which I used for half the distance in an attempt to flatten the battery for conditioning.
The bike feels really solid when riding, most noticeable on fast hill descents, were I just let the bike run at what must have been close to or higher than 40mph (waiting for the computer to be fitted). The disk brakes are very good.

Todays task was to flatten the battery, not easy on this bike. I have no idea on initial charge as I rode it as delivered from the UK dealer. After my 20 mile ride, all lights were still lit, so I continued to Peel, a further 14 mile round trip. First light went out. I then hit the mountain climb to really draw the amps. This is a second gear hill in my 2.1 litre car. Up to this point I was wondering why they needed gears on this at all, as I had remained in top gear for the whole of my run, up some quite decent gradients, although some of them required moderate effort.
The mountain climb had me dropping down the gears from 6 to 3, but at that gear it was still relatively effortless, unbelievable, this thing will climb a tree. Obviously I was now drawing the amps, but still couldn't get the second light out. I repeated this one and a half mile climb three times and then it dropped to two lights. Cutting a long story short, for the next hour I rode up and down a number of hills and eventually I got the last light to flicker and returned home.
God help me tomorrow, when I will definitely be on a full charge for the second conditioning.

Only negatives are a squeaking noise at the rear, I think its the disc brake, and poor waterproofing. The controller is en-cased in an alluminium box, but the cabling lacks a grommet. On the other hand, the in-line connector is very well sealed with a rubber shroud.

So first impression .... excellent

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the total size of the images have to be within the size restriction, 97.7 kB in the case of *.jpg.

Otherwise you can get just the first photo showing for example and the rest shown as links. Then resizing is necessary.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks Flecc,

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I attach links? I have tried drag and drop without success.
Secondly, I wont get chance to do a second conditioning. Therefore, how best to store the bike for the next 4 weeks. The battery is now fully charged.

Appreciate your help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc,

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I attach links? I have tried drag and drop without success.
Secondly, I wont get chance to do a second conditioning. Therefore, how best to store the bike for the next 4 weeks. The battery is now fully charged.

Appreciate your help.
When at the reply box, highlight the word or phrase you want to be a link and then click the blue globe icon above that's just below the white smiley. In the box that appears, paste in the link and click OK. Your chosen word or phrase will now be an active link when you complete the reply.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks, I will give it a go shortly. Many last minute jobs to do before I leave. Looks like I wont get out on the bike today, do I leave it fully charged? I always leave the Salisbury fully charged and there doesn't appear to have been any loss in performance. Is it therefore the same for Li Ion?