Fitting A Tracking Device

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Just managed to pick one of these up at a bargain price. Unfortunately the mounting bracket as broken, hence the price, so will have to see if a replacement is available or fashion a repair. Thanks everyone

Tracking Device

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just managed to pick one of these up at a bargain price. Unfortunately the mounting bracket as broken, hence the price, so will have to see if a replacement is available or fashion a repair. Thanks everyone

Tracking Device
If the two small plastic prongs on the back of the light haven't broken, you can use any GoPro mount. You might require an extension arm, of which there is a large variety available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334479939457

If the prongs are broken, you can repair with superglue + bicarbonate of soda and a bit of filing - I had to do that repair on one prong of the waterproof case for my Crosstour Action 4k camera. That prong is now stronger than ever before.

Here's the manual for mine:

I use Giffgaff, and the number is kept alive by sending or receiving a text to/from it every few months = 10p. After 180 days of inactivity the phone number is recycled. Annoyingly, it will send you a text to tell you it's low on battery, which serves to keep the number alive. There is no way to turn off this feature or bug.

I've toyed with the idea of ripping out it's innards minus light bulb, to hide somewhere inside the bike, and power using a larger battery, charged by the ebike battery.

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
If the two small plastic prongs on the back of the light haven't broken, you can use any GoPro mount. You might require an extension arm, of which there is a large variety available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334479939457

If the prongs are broken, you can repair with superglue + bicarbonate of soda and a bit of filing - I had to do that repair on one prong of the waterproof case for my Crosstour Action 4k camera. That prong is now stronger than ever before.

Here's the manual for mine:

View attachment 58095

I use Giffgaff, and the number is kept alive by sending or receiving a text to/from it every few months = 10p. After 180 days of inactivity the phone number is recycled. Annoyingly, it will send you a text to tell you it's low on battery, which serves to keep the number alive. There is no way to turn off this feature or bug.

I've toyed with the idea of ripping out it's innards minus light bulb, to hide somewhere inside the bike, and power using a larger battery, charged by the ebike battery.
Thank you so much for all that information and manual. I'll see what the issue is once received. AS mentioned in an earlier post I already purchased a tracker but it just didn't work. I got hold of a new O2 SIM for GPS devices which still as credit on it. So will give that a go first. I believe GiffGaff uses the O2 network anyway? Be in touch and thanks again.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats not too far from a practical test I carried out way back in 2016.

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2016/08/15/how-to-search-500-square-kilometres-in-10-minutes.html

Height is king for most UHF comms, you can increase the detection range of a tracker by maybe 100 times or more, if you can get high enough. Carrying a plane like I used above is not so practical, but there are these days hand size drones that weigh under 250g.

I recently aquired a Mavic Mini drone, not because I want pictures of neighbours sunbathing in gardens, but for putting a LoRa relay on it, just to see how far you can search for a LoRa tracker. Pocket sized, it can be in the air in a few seconds. It does seem possible that with such a simple setup you could search a average city for trackers fairly quickly.
I look forward to reading all about your new practical test.

Height is king for most UHF comms, you can increase the detection range of a tracker by maybe 100 times or more, if you can get high enough. Carrying a plane like I used above is not so practical, but there are these days hand size drones that weigh under 250g.
Signal the entire UK ulilising helium balloons? I believe there is a nationwide cartel of bike thieves co-ordinating the sale stolen bikes in areas far away from where they were nicked. I offer no proof of my beliefs, nor do they have any basis in fact, like the best beliefs available for all to believe in, despite reality and for the hell of it... because it feels safer to be loud certain and wrong than confused and scared when faced with decades of life's vicissitudes. Saves time and effort. Well that's what I believe anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335429921869

If my bike doesn't get stolen too often, a cheap solution (if the relay hardware and party balloons are cheap). But not as dramatic and satisying as angrily launching a rocket to find your stolen bike.

Mavic Mini drone
Second hand, those are approaching money I'd risk throwing into the air:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=mavic+mini&sortBy=price_asc&availability=In+Stock+Online

...if I can overcome my aversion to DJI's requirement of activation online before the damned thing will do anything at all, other than insist on online activation, at which point it could be ordered by DJI HQ to commit Hari Kari, like my Xioami security camera. Recording while circling my bike when I'm riding about town, with it avoiding obstacles? I guess I'd need to spend significantly more for a drone capable of that.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I believe GiffGaff uses the O2 network anyway?
Yep, and it's the worst coverage of any! Guaranteed when I can't get signal with Giffgaff, the person next to me can using any other network. What happened to radio mast sharing? Perhaps O2 is too tight. I might switch to EE when they get cheaper. I've read some networks offer rollover for unused credit - I'd prefer they lower prices instead, but of course they're not going to do that.

If it doesn't work, ask for a "Classic SIM".

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Signal the entire UK ulilising helium balloons?
Pretty close to that.

Way back in time, early 2015, I launched one of those low cost 36" foil party balloons filled with helium. It had a LoRa GPS tracker on it.

If you fill the foil party balloons just right they will rise to circa 10km altitude and then float along at that altitude. Mine went from S.Wales over the Isle of Wight and then over France and the Med.

I had had two way LoRa comms to the balloon, and could send and receive commands at up to 240km. So if it had been set up to act as a relay for ground based trackers it would have had a ground view of circa 500km diameter. However at the time there were only two LoRa trackers known to exist, both of them in the S.Wales area.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Pretty close to that.

Way back in time, early 2015, I launched one of those low cost 36" foil party balloons filled with helium. It had a LoRa GPS tracker on it.

View attachment 58096

If you fill the foil party balloons just right they will rise to circa 10km altitude and then float along at that altitude. Mine went from S.Wales over the Isle of Wight and then over France and the Med.

I had had two way LoRa comms to the balloon, and could send and receive commands at up to 240km. So if it had been set up to act as a relay for ground based trackers it would have had a ground view of circa 500km diameter. However at the time there were only two LoRa trackers known to exist, both of them in the S.Wales area.
I don't know if you are aware of the tiny (1.8gm) programmable, balloon transmitters made by Hans Summers and sold for about £50. They have gps onboard, transmit their position, altitude, battery voltage and the temperature, using the weak signal protocol WSPR on a variety of frequencies, and are used by a community of radio amateurs and tracked around the world. Some have made many complete circuits of the planet. Summers who runs a business called QRP Labs, also runs a tracking page which shows where the balloons are. I have been amazed at how durable some of these tiny balloons are and have followed some for weeks. I have built many QRP Labs transmitters and transceivers over the years the business has operated and they are far and away the best producer of such kits we have ever had.

https://qrp-labs.com/u4b Balloon transmitter

https://shop.qrp-labs.com/ Other products

Video in which Hans Summers discusses the ten year development of his balloon tracker which is now 33 mm x 12 mm and weighs 1.8gms

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I don't know if you are aware of the tiny (1.8gm) programmable, balloon transmitters made by Hans Summers and sold for about £50.
I have kept an eye on the WSPR stuff, although tecnically not legal for UK Amateurs.

I was in circa 2012+ following what was happening with the UKHAS (UK High Altitude Society), they were using low tech comms for long distance tracking, which interested me.

The UKHAS guys invited me up to give a talk on an Earth orbiting satellite project I had done using much the same comms they were using for their high altitude balloons. I was sat in the lecture theatre by a guy (Leo Bodnar) who announced that after many tries (64) one of his balloons had just completed the first circumnavigation of the World by a Pico.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do satellite operators offer LoRa relay services? If so, how much do they charge per megabyte? Real time GPS bike tracking will require more data relayed, but a short message sent only after a bike is stolen would be cheaper. 77,000 "HELP! I'VE BEEN NICKED!" followed by GPS co-ordinates sent every year isn't going to amount to much data. They're not all going to be stolen at exactly the same time.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I have kept an eye on the WSPR stuff, although tecnically not legal for UK Amateurs.

I was in circa 2012+ following what was happening with the UKHAS (UK High Altitude Society), they were using low tech comms for long distance tracking, which interested me.

The UKHAS guys invited me up to give a talk on an Earth orbiting satellite project I had done using much the same comms they were using for their high altitude balloons. I was sat in the lecture theatre by a guy (Leo Bodnar) who announced that after many tries (64) one of his balloons had just completed the first circumnavigation of the World by a Pico.
I have been running a WSPR beacon 24/7 since about 2012. An OFCOM guy came to follow up a spurious interference complaint from a crazy neighbour in about 2013. The neighbour - a nutter - thought that I was responsible for every failure of cheap electronic tat in his house because I had some antennas in my garden for ultra low power communications which were mostly receive anyway. The OFCOM guy phoned me to chat and suggested WSPR and QRP modes. He came to visit and I showed him my 100 miliwatt beacon and he said if more people with transmitting licences used WSPR, he would have fewer visits to do. Obviously the complaint was rejected and the loony neighbour was charged for the investigation. Since I am entitled by my license to put out 400 watt transmissions, a few milliwatts of weak signal protocol is neither here nor there. The nutter thought his crap TV system was my fault and not his bargain basement ridiculous home done installation. He also claimed I had affected his microwave oven. Crazy fecker.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Pretty close to that.

View attachment 58096

Whoops i was talking about chasing one of these :

a lot easier to see from 5 miles away ;) still could be tricky to track down..

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I was sat in the lecture theatre by a guy (Leo Bodnar) who announced that after many tries (64) one of his balloons had just completed the first circumnavigation of the World by a Pico.
It is incredible what some of the more practised balloon folk can achieve. Dave VE3CKL has had balloons which continued multiple, and I mean many circumnavigations and stayed up over six months, continually transmitting on a twenty minute schedule in daylight with about 15 milliwatts of WSPR protocol, giving first the normal WSPR data (callsign, rough position, power) and then subsequently on the next cycle the special telemetry with more accurate position, altitude, temperature and battery voltage. Of course the batteries are tiny and very soon go dead after dark. They stay that way until the sun is on the tiny, light weight solar panels and then the QRP Labs beacon wakes up, takes its GPS fix and starts transmitting again. I regard Hans Summers as an absolute genius. I have been dealing with him since he was operating out of a tiny cupboard in his flat in Japan when he was doing comms for a big bank there. He designed all of his kits himself and made them available pretty much at cost and he supported numpties like me to get them working. I can't imagine how he does it for the money he charges, but now he is selling so many that he is making a decent living. He now lives in Turkey by the sea and runs his operation from there. His kits are visionary in their capabilities and of course they all depend on his pretty special programming skills to do what they do in the various micro controllers he has used over the years. The difference between Summers' kits and most amateur radio kits is night and day. I started out in the early eighties building comparatively terrible kits which could not even hold a frequency long enough to do a morse code contact without drifting a couple of kilohertz. The current qrp labs stuff doesn't even deviate 1 htz over a two minute transmission. It is a thousand times better than what went before.

My beacons when running about two watts are received and decoded in Australia any time I want to switch them on pretty much. There are some EXTREMELY clever and visonary people behind all this. People like Hans who design kits and people like Loe Taylor who invented the weak signal comms protocols which allow tiny signals about the same power as your mobile phone to get from my back garden to the exact opposite side of the planet in New Zealand and be received by a simple receiver and decoded by a computer from well below the receiver noise level. Joe Taylor of course is a world renowned astro-physicist who has had the Nobel Prise for his work on Binary Pulsars and Gravitational Radiation. In his retirement he invented a whole pile of weak signal communications protocols and the software to decode them.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One guy, who I have met several times, runs Lacuna Space.

https://lacuna.space/

They have satellites in orbit collecting data from LoRa sensors in remote locations and relaying it back down to Earth.
Does he currently own a nice bicycle? Could perhaps be persuaded to move a satellite a bit for a test, if he's got skin in the game...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When O2 kill GSM killing my GPS tracker light, if my bike gets stolen, I could send a text to one of these 4G switches, or something similar...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Wireless-Controller-Failure-Command/dp/B08KVTNBK8

...to turn on power to the 4G tracker the OP linked...

...thus there will be a small pay-as-you-go connection fee for the tracker to send it's GPS coordinates via an internet connection, instead of monthly. Both pay-as-you-go phone numbers would have to be kept alive by calling/texting them every few months (<180 days), but the overall average cost of post-theft tracking over a number of years, will be lower than £96 per year if using the 4g tracker only.

£79.75 4G switch + £11.86 4G tracker + (£10 PAYG top-up X 2) = £111.71. Then about a tenner a year for calls and texts to those two PAYG numbers. Clunky, slightly overweight and cheap, like me.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
As we know Air Tags are iOS/iPhone specific but Android are fighting back - go into youtube and search 'Chipolo and Pebblebee ' or similar to get an insight into this interesting alternative which will work with the Android Find My Device network.
(ok, so you don't use an Android smartphone! - in that case you'll have to get your oil lamp out and search that way :confused:).

As has been said, a lot of existing trackers will stop working when the 4 cellular providers turn off their 3G networks most if not all be the end of 2024.

If you do manage to locate your stolen bike, unless you're prepared to take your own action for recovery, it'll still be 'good by bike' as there is unlikely to be any police action to aid recovery (but likely plenty of action if you take matters into your own hands).

This recent article here in the Sunday Times illustrates this in relation to iPhone thefts:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As has been said, a lot of existing trackers will stop working when the 4 cellular providers turn off their 3G networks most if not all be the end of 2024.
O2 supply ends at some point in 2025.

Chipolo and Pebblebee
Unlike Airtags, Chipolo doesn't have UWB. I don't know if Pebblebee does...

"We’ve confirmed with Chipolo that their trackers are Bluetooth-only and do not come with UWB tech so far, and we’re waiting to hear back from Pebblebee."

...but even if they did, anyone with an Android phone will be able to detect the presence of either, as Apple fondleslabs can with Airtags.

The 4G switch could also activate something LSD spray to rapidly incapacitate his entire household, making retrieval easier - he'll be telling his thieving scum mates about how a giant tentacled 22 legged alien victoria sponge with big ears abducted the bike, one dark orange raining meringues. Or perhaps in all the confusion, the bike could topple itself over onto four steerable wheels situated on one side, to launch itself through a window and self-drive it's way home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
As we know Air Tags are iOS/iPhone specific but Android are fighting back - go into youtube and search 'Chipolo and Pebblebee ' or similar to get an insight into this interesting alternative which will work with the Android Find My Device network.
(ok, so you don't use an Android smartphone! - in that case you'll have to get your oil lamp out and search that way :confused:).

If you do manage to locate your stolen bike, unless you're prepared to take your own action for recovery, it'll still be 'good by bike' as there is unlikely to be any police action to aid recovery (but likely plenty of action if you take matters into your own hands).

This recent article here in the Sunday Times illustrates this in relation to iPhone thefts:

View attachment 58233
If those low bandwidth modes are turned off. I think the smart meter system in the southern half of the uk will be in trouble. I think all smart meters south of yorkshire depend on data sent over those cellular networks on 2g, i think. The far north is covered by a 430 mhz radio system run by Arquiva. I'm on that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Whoops i was talking about chasing one of these :

a lot easier to see from 5 miles away ;) still could be tricky to track down..
Surprising how visually one can lose sight of these once line of sight is lost or are tree top hugging. Still have my lighter then air with basket stored in my garage , hasn't seen light of day for 24 years.

Reactions: thelarkbox