First car to ever complete the Pole to Pole drive is an EV.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chris and Julie Ramsey, husband and wife adventurers, have completed the first ever pole-to-pole drive by a car of any fuel, travelling over 30,000km in a Nissan Ariya with e-4ORCE all-wheel control.

They'd previously completed the 10,000 km Mongol rally in their Nissan Leaf.

So much for all the critics alleging lack of range and charging points for EVs.

Read about it on this link

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fake news. I didn't see many charging points last time I was at the North Pole, and they were pretty sparse attending South Pole too - probably similar to when my ebike went from Telford to Basildon without charging, and only took about three hours.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fake news. I didn't see many charging points last time I was at the North Pole, and they were pretty sparse attending South Pole too - probably similar to when my ebike went from Telford to Basildon without charging, and only took about three hours.
No more so than with similar IC car stunts, no fuel pumps either.

But the poles are the end points. There was 30,000 km in between.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Unfortunately, the article seems to be a Nissan/Zapmap marketing excercise with no actual info on how the hell they achieved this impressive feat. Maybe I've missed something.
What's the charging point density in northern Canada like, where towns will be further apart than the range of the vehicle?
How about central and south America? Did they have a generator, solar panels, a racoon driven wheel genny?
I like the look of the vehicle, looks like just the thing I need for pulling cut up fallen trees off peoples fields to fuel my carbon emitting woodstove.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Unfortunately, the article seems to be a Nissan/Zapmap marketing excercise with no actual info on how the hell they achieved this impressive feat. Maybe I've missed something.
What's the charging point density in northern Canada like, where towns will be further apart than the range of the vehicle?
How about central and south America? Did they have a generator, solar panels, a racoon driven wheel genny?
I like the look of the vehicle, looks like just the thing I need for pulling cut up fallen trees off peoples fields to fuel my carbon emitting woodstove.
Interestingly the ariya sits on a megane e tech platform that comes with 63 or 87kwh batteries, with the latter being good for 250 winter miles according to whatcar (and paradoxically perhaps more if ones crawling along at 40mph on ice sheet, not that I believe any of it either considering the terrain and a soft suv, but at 36k the aiya doesn't seem bad value, if fugly)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interestingly the ariya sits on a megane e tech platform that comes with 63 or 87kwh batteries, with the latter being good for 250 winter miles according to whatcar (and paradoxically perhaps more if ones crawling along at 40mph on ice sheet, not that I believe any of it either considering the terrain and a soft suv, but at 36k the ariya doesn't seem bad value, if fugly)
Of course it isnt about charging at either pole, or even finding public chargers every 300km or so throughout 30,000km, though the necessary only 100 of them is feasible. Clearly either generators or current transfer batteries were used at times in the more remote areas.

It's about showing that one of the latest standard EVs and its battery and occupants can survive long term over very long distances in both the hottest and coldest parts of this planet. Contrary to what all the anti-EV brigade would have you believe.

Advertisers