Father-of-two, 52, died after falling off his bike when two cats fighting in the street cut across him and got stuck in his wheels

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How I'd determine if it sounds I don't know because I can't hear ultrasonic (except when it's bat calls reflected and lowering frequency bouncing on still lake surfaces), but I've ordered one. Looks tiny, I should be able to wedge and glue/ziptie it in between the spokes of my 20" front wheel, which should spin this whistle fast enough, maybe even at low speeds. Let dog howling commence! As I pass by. Cats too. Also possibly children and teenagers - McDonalds use near-ultrasonic horns to prevent them hanging around outside. Inaudible to older folk without aid, or multiple reflections. Will it make my neighbour's dog even crazier?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Arrived and they're about 18mm diameter, should be able to wedge and secure these in between wheel spokes somehow. Min speed 35kmh, probably won't work at all slower than that. Will test these on my neighbour's dog while cycling downhill (I'll be cycling downhill, not the dog). Maybe I can add a bit of plastic to help take in more air, cycling at lower speed...

...found a cone. It's the shade from a battery powered miniature Poundland desk lamp. Might be too small a cone.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hoping to make this ultrasonic whistle sound at speeds less than 35kmh.... using superglue + bicarbonate of soda,I've stuck a hood with a larger air gathering hole onto my fork light. If dogs, cats, teenagers and other wildlife don't react, I'll stick a larger hood to this hood. The white bit is the dust cap, delievered with a E27 bulb. This ultrasonic whistle is held on with sticky pads and ziptie, for now.

If larger funnels don't do the job, I could try using a 12V CPU fan running at 36V or higher, to force more air through.

Last edited: