Fastest speed on an e.bike.....just for fun

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've briefly hit 40mph on some steep downhill roads with little traffic.

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Just briefly hit 55 mph the other day on the flat with no pedalling, when I upped the voltage to 100 volts.
I saw it flash up and I slowed again. No pedalling as it makes things too unstable. Wanted to see if I could reach 60 mph, but not on this bike.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Recumbent trike with Tongxin hub, down hill (mountain) 90kph, it was faster with the standard tyre and wheel.
Esprit so far 62 kph down hill.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
63mph is my record , not saying on what , may get banned.
Was surprisingly stable , just the rotors and the pads faded at the bottom of the hill.
Stupid , yes :)

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
52mph, i have tried a couple of times on same hill but the wind direction limited me to 49mph....since then i crashed at 6mph on a mini roundabout and haven't had the same inclination to try to hit 50mph any more,it sort of knocks your confidence a bit. ;)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Eurostar will get you and your Cyclamatic to well over 100 mph. That would be a forum record. :)
If we're allowed to use 'assistance' like that, then I can beat 100mph. I did 110mph with my bike on a Thule carrier hanging off the back of my car. The bike has also done about 150mph in the back of my son's pick-up. It's a 'special' pick up truck though. ;)
However, sitting on the e-bike bike I've only done about 35 mph down a hill from my village. Not pedaling as the gearing is too low for that speed. On the same hill I've done 45 mph on a normal bike with much higher gearing. Goung back up that hill though, the e-bike wins every time.

Jim

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
40 mph down Penpillick Hill: Lousy map-reading found me at the top & I couldn't get off it fast enough.

There was a horrific multiple pile-up there, involving several cars & 2 lorries, many years ago.

There are too many ghosts there still.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I did get a constant 53 mph on the flat even after a couple of seconds cycling it said 53mph according to my new wireless speedo. Swapped it with another exactly the same. The 2 wireless speedo's are in the chinese clack draw at work. Probably motor interfering. Back to my old wired one and doing 15mph now :(

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Best so far is 47.6 mph down a steep hill with my chin on the handlebars and elbows tucked in. The bike was still accelerating and I reckon 50 is possible, but the end of the road was nigh. I'll try again this year.

It was noticeable that the effects of wheel balance caused considerable vibration, and it took a fair distance to stop, but to be honest it didn't feel terribly safe at these speeds. Good fun though.