Electrifying ICE Trice T26

spiro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2012
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
I have an ICE T26 (details http://www.icetrikes.co/Downloads/ICE_Trice_flyer_2_09_zigzag.pdf) which weights 35.9lbs/16.28Kg plus my weight is 11st 7lb/73kg so an overall combined weight of 13st 9lb/89.3kg plus kit. Now lots of newbie type questions.

I am looking for a rear wheel motor setup.
As it will be used on and off road (tracks) I would like it to be capable of speeds in excess of 15mph with a decent range (no steep hills).
Having read several threads on this forum BMS Battery seems to be a good source of parts/kits but not sure the likelihood/cost of customs imposing import duty and VAT.
Whilst it is obvious that most kits will provide 15mph I am not sure how I go about getting speeds in excess of that.
What I have been looking at (no idea if I'm right) are the Bafang 36v/48v 350v/500w and the MagicPie 1000w motors.
In terms of a battery I guess I need something like the 48V 20Ah 38120 LiFePO4 Battery for power/range.

Any advice gratefull received.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Spiro,

We have supplied several eZee conversion kits to customers with recumbent trikes including ICE.

You can check us out via our website electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

There is also a thread somewhere on here featuring one of our conversions....somewhere:confused:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

We have done a ice trike before

Kit Rear motor 1,500 watts + 48 volt 20AH Li-ion battery rack mounted

In stock

We Have a standard demo bike fitted with the Kit to Try in Banbury

Give me a call

Frank

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have a Scorpion fs which is very similar to the ICE. A couple of years ago I had the same desire. I got the ezee rear hub and use it at 48V. Et Voila. I am now investigating crank drive with Rohloff gears.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I keep thinking about putting a Tonaro drive on a custom boom on my GLR, the mount looks ultra simple, and on a trike I suspect top speeds well beyond 15 mph should be available :)
Anyone know if you can buy a complete motor crank unit?

C

Cyclezee

A Tonaro kit does exist, but it is not imported into Europe.

If there were enough demand it could be.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm going to try a sunstar S03. Electric transport shop.
The 450w brushless GNG kit is the one. It only costs £270 plus about £250 for a 20aH 36v battery and you could have some seious fun, No speed limit from the motor with crank drive, so cruising at 30mph should be possible on a trike and maybe 40mph down hill.

I tried the Sunstar at Birminham. I think that it's better suited to small folders and other lightweight bikes. It wasn't very powerful, but the guy said that he's working on a 36v version for a bit more power.

spiro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2012
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
The 450w brushless GNG kit is the one. It only costs £270 plus about £250 for a 20aH 36v battery and you could have some seious fun, No speed limit from the motor with crank drive, so cruising at 30mph should be possible on a trike and maybe 40mph down hill.
D8veh, dont know if you have fitted one of these on a Trike but having looked on their website the obvious question is where do you clamp the bracket to because on a normal bike its to the frame in front of the crank but on a trike the crank is at the front of a boom so there is nothing in front to clamp it to unless you rotate is 180 degrees so motor is on top.
Also looking at the question section it says the motor cutrs out when pedelling, surely to maximise range you want a mix of man and motor power?

On the issue of buying from USA/China I saw a post on here about people ordering lots of gear, just wonder the odds and cost of having to pay import duty and VAT, could £520 suddenly turn into £1000?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, I've got one. If you click on my profile, you'll see a photo. It fits to the bottom bracket (68mm) and then the whole assembly rotates round until the clamp plate reaches a frame member that it can be clamped to with a jubilee clip. So in your case, the main assembly would sit on top of the frame tube. I'd have to see a clear photo of your frame in that area to confirm that it'll fit.

The bit about cutting out when pedalling means that it has a free-wheel so that you can pedal with or without the motor. With the GNG unit, you lose multiple chain-wheels. With an 11T on the rear 26" wheel, I can pedal up to 25mph, but the motor has a max cadence of about 120, which takes it up to around 40mph.

Another option would be a brushless Cyclone drive. I haven't tried one, but I've seen a few on recumbents:
Cyclone: Electric Bicycle Transmission

High quality speed best Electric bicycle Low cost Price recumbent DIY kits NuVinci High quality speed best Electric bicycle Low cost Price recumbent DIY kits NuVinci High quality speed best Electric bicycle Low cost Price recumbent DIY kits NuVinci H