Electric Folder Recommendations please (under £950)

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hiya

Read somewhere that any powered folder is a waste of space!!

I already have 2 BH E motion "City bikes" which are Panasonic drive type full size non-folding and these are excellent , but find them a little bulky even with quick release wheels to transport in my motorhome - dont like cycle racks.

The BH folder is too expensive for our requirements at£1899 any suggestions or is the opening comment correct!!!

15 mile range required

Alan

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hiya

I already have 2 BH E motion "City bikes" which are Panasonic drive type full size non-folding and these are excellent , but find them a little bulky even with quick release wheels to transport in my motorhome - dont like cycle racks.

The BH folder is too expensive for our requirements at£1899 any suggestions or is the opening comment correct!!!

15 mile range required

Alan
Hi Alan,

You could look at our Fast4ward Edge: Ultra Motor

I'd recommend trying one, they are available on our Try Before You Buy scheme

Thanks
Mark

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I like the look of the Kudos folders,good reports too,batteries are also affordable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That opinion is one that A to B magazine have held for some while, but it's based upon portability by hand, not any other factor. Since they tend to weigh 19 kilos upwards, they are admittedly too heavy to be carried long term. Some are as much as a brutal 25 kilos, not something to lug far in a world where people think a 4 kilo laptop too heavy.

However, they can be completely viable for short carrying distances or for car boot use etc, and we have a number of members with them.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
not many folders that great a ride, under geared etc.....We have always had motorhomes either with a garage or bike rack....no problems with security, and been at this camper lark for well over 20 years. (we also have expensive bikes)

the BH folder is an under geared bike by all accounts, not particularly light (our bikes lighter) and have seen them on ebay for £1200'ish

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
:rolleyes:

Now over two years of daily commuting, 3000+ miles clocked to date, folded and carried into my work each trip. Bike weighs 13kgs incl motor. Battery and bag an additional 3kgs. My battery is a lightweight 1kg DIY affair (cost £80) which suits my Cambridge based 10.5 mile round commute. The commercial kits would easily handle your mileage requirements albeit with a heavier more expensive battery they include.

Probably outside your budget. Brompton £850 + commercial kit £750.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the Brompton is an exception, but way over your budget, probably double and totally unnecessary IMO

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Gordonal....this week must be folder week,I have supplied 6 Versatile models-all sold in pairs and all to Motorhome users. The Versatile is unique in using the 3-speed Nexus hub gears,but all of them have been fitted to rear cycle racks.
Also I have a new folder called 'Secret'-it's a nice looking bike with good quality handlebar stem,integral LED lights,lightweight rack,the 8Ahbattery is hidden within the frame,36v x 220watt motor,20" wheels. It comes with a transport bag with wheels,all up weight only 17kgs. Available in Black,Silver and White.
If you PM me with your home address I will send draft information sheet to you.
I think it would be ideal to store inside or in the locker of a motorhome.
Price-£725.00 incl vat.
Dave
KudosCycles

D

Deleted member 4366

Hiya

15 mile range required

Alan
I had the same opinion, but since I've built mine, I've changed my mind. You can remove the battery to reduce the weight for loading/unloading/carrying. which makes quite a bit of difference to the weight. If you want a really nice, higly efficient folder, it's best to make your own like Gerry's, or if that's out of your price range, you could make one like mine that's a bit cheaper at £820 and it only weighs 15Kg (16.5kg with battery). It rides extremely well and seems to be very efficient with or without power. It's a little twitchy compared with a 26" wheeled bike as most small-wheeled bikes will be. Here's the thread where I described the build if your interested. If you bought the motor already installed in a wheel as a kit, it would be a lot easier and a bit cheaper.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10584-electric2011-dahon-jetstream-p8-2.html

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I watched a girl fold her non assisted Brompton,it was very definite the way it folded,the quality of the engineering was evident in the slickness that she achieved the fold in seconds. However I spoke to a guy on the Brompton stand in Belgium and he admitted that Brompton are not happy adding electric battery and motor to the Brompton,the extra weight and complexity making it difficult to retain the original slick folding,I got the impression they would only go electric with reluctance.
Dave
KudosCycles

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I'm more than happy with the f4w Edge, it fits your criteria and is a very well made bike, i have not had a problem with mine and it fits into the boot of a mark 4 fiesta a treat. And it looks great too.... I am intrigued by the new Kudos, details please ...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I used to work as a H&S advisor in rail construction, mainly on London Underground. while waiting for traffic to end and station to close, so work could commence we used to stand and watch life going by. On big stations like Kings X it could be very interesting and sometimes hilarious, particularity at weekends......

The amount of bromptons I saw were substantial, I was amazed how easy they were to fold. Before people went through the gates. some did not even need to stop! they had it down to a fine art......

as far as I'm concerned it is the only commuter bike. but for motorhome use a 20 inch wheel bike makes more sense as cheaper and more comfortable

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath

It sounds as if weight etc. is not an issue for you; because all you need is a bike with a basic fold and some smaller dimensions to enable it to go in your motorhome. With these criteria, you should have a wide choice, and from my experience many of them feel as stable to ride as a full-size bike. I would say the thing to look out for is low gearing, which is difficult to avoid with small wheels, and can lead to that "pedalling air" feeling as you struggle to keep pace with the motor. The positive side of that, though, is that that makes them good on hills!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
The amount of bromptons I saw were substantial, I was amazed how easy they were to fold. Before people went through the gates. some did not even need to stop! they had it down to a fine art......
I used to be one of those Brompton riders at Kings Cross (in the 80s), but I used to ride through the barrier and down the platform and fold the bike once on the train.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Dave it would be nice if you could load a picture of the new "secret" folder plse

bazzh

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2011
NG23
We carry two Juicybike Urbans folded in the back of the car, either when we want to go exploring out of our area, or when we're off out caravanning. Lifting into the car isn't a problem as long as we take the batteries out first (aged muscles). Wouldn't want to carry them folded anywhere though - that's why there are Bromptons!

The wife can get 30+ miles on hers; I'm a bit heavier and get around 25 miles from the standard 10Ah batteries.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I used to be one of those Brompton riders at Kings Cross (in the 80s), but I used to ride through the barrier and down the platform and fold the bike once on the train.
Oh dear; senior moment! It was a Bickerton (remember those?), not a Brompton that I had. Well, they both begin with "B" and end with "ton"...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I remember the Bickerton. Andrew Ritchie once said it was his inspiration to create the Brompton.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Great stuff as usual guys - some very good suggestions and thoughts . I posed a similar question on my motorhome forum and almost unanimous was a recommendation for an AS. folder - i must confess i have never heard of them. Perusing the web i was intrigued by the new TERN range of folders - not powered though!!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tern is the other half of the Dahon company after an acrimonious split. Father David Hon has been left with Dahon, mother Florence and son Joshua have formed Tern.