Electric conversion kit or peddle assist

Giant Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2024
Hi,

I am looking at buying a hardtail mountain bike brand new and buying a brand new electric conversion kit..

My only question is I am looking to get fit while riding would a electric conversion kit help me with that or would it be best to buy a brand new electric mountain bike peddle assist only?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyMonkey

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
When ridding an ebike you may decide to let the motor do most or all the work a little more than optimal for your fitness regime, but your not sat on the couch your up n active and at worst ghost pedalling which is still activity.. So the level of benefit you get depends on your resolve.

Where will you be ridding, what sort of terrain, and what range do you require?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

I am looking at buying a hardtail mountain bike brand new and buying a brand new electric conversion kit..

My only question is I am looking to get fit while riding would a electric conversion kit help me with that or would it be best to buy a brand new electric mountain bike peddle assist only?

Thanks.
DOn't but a new bike as a donor. Not only are many modern bikes not suitable, but you'll lose any warranty when you fit the kit, and you might have to do some drilling and filing, which you might not want to do on a new bike. It's much better to buy a used bike. It'll cost about a third of what a new one would. Look for one with disc brakes and a triangle frame, and not a modern one with a tiny chainwheel.

Argos still have this ebike in stock. It doesn't have disc brakes but at £420, it's a bargain. It's similar to the disc brake version, which we tested and found to be excellent. You can always take the kit off and put it on another bike. It's cheaper than some kits.

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Hi @Giant Bike.
I was in a similar position to you when I first started pondering about e-bikes.
But I already had a cellar full of normal bikes too.
Looking at the available off-the-shelf options, I realised that to get an e-bike in similar spec to the ones I had already bought or built myself, I would be paying thousands of pounds (and still have a cellar full of bikes!).
So, I decided to buy a kit for the Kona Sutra tourer bike I bought in 2007.
It seemed easier and more natural to go for a mid-drive, because I would never get a supplied e-hub wheel in the same heavy duty touring spec as the ones already on the bike.
If you decide on mid-drive, I can recommend the Bafang BBS01B 250W 48v, mainly because that is what I bought.
I wasn't sure if 250W would be enough, but it really is.
If you have some bike building/repair knowledge and some decent tools, I'd say get a cheap (but decent) donor bike and DIY.
My next years project is to trick up a steel Cove Handjob MTB to 250W with the same spec kit.

Check out JohnnyNerdOut on YT for loads of advice.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I need to stay legal.
But who knows. The law may change by then! :D
By all means - stay legal. Remember - law does not restrict power.
I just thought you might like to be more adventurous - try new motors, new controllers, more power - just explore. No point to run in circles.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Err.... I thought the UK limit was 250W.
Yes, me too.
...but 250W limit is on motors rated power, not on power output or input. So as long as motor is rated 250W you can use all the power you want (within reason)

For example I expect your motor can deliver quite a punch. I am not a big fan of Bafang motors, so I am only guessing here, but I suspect your controller can deliver 20A or maybe even 25A.

20A x 54V (when battery is fully charged) = over 1000W. That is a lot more than 250W.

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
For example I expect your motor can deliver quite a punch. I am not a big fan of Bafang motors, so I am only guessing here, but I suspect your controller can deliver 20A or maybe even 25A.
As far as I can remember the BBS01B is current limited to 18A.
I can't change that in settings.
The BBS02B can.
But that's fine. I'm happy with the power I get with the Kona Sutra, and that's a heavy bike to begin with.
It comes in at 22Kg with the battery on.
The Cove Handjob is far lighter, and will not need to haul any luggage.
Just skinny little me and a CamelBak.

Giant Bike

Sep 12, 2024
The conversion kit comes with the throttle?
Can an electric conversion kit be set to pedal assist only without the pedal assist?

Thanks.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The conversion kit comes with the throttle?
Can an electric conversion kit be set to pedal assist only without the pedal assist?

Thanks.
do you mean,
"Can an electric conversion kit be set to pedal assist only without the Throttle?" Then - YES,

In fact many kits aimed at the eu/uk market are regulation compliant out of the box, some frustratingly locked in that state too. A throttle when included or connected will work at upto 4-6mph (walk mode)

And then some kits aimed at international or regulation free markets sourced via ebay or non eu/uk web-fronts with no restrictions, although few if any pas enabled control systems require a throttle afaik? so if you buy an unrestricted kit ether configure the throttle to legal conditions or simply omit fitting it..

You say you want a mountain bike, is that for ridding off road on occasion or mainly, or is it s style preference for daily road use.

If the former the above advise on best performing motor for the off road aspects is solid. if however the latter and your ridding on the road all the time? The rear wheel kits sold by yose-power are good vfm imho. I bought and fitted one last summer.. and there is plenty of oomph to spare dragging not so little me and sometimes a full load of shopping around town and up the hills (slopes?) back home at the end of the day..

Fwiw yose 250w kits and their controllers are locked down and compliant with the eu/uk regs, i was initially a bit miffed at that being a bit of a tinkerer, but since i want to ride a legal bike (insurance etc..), and have got used to how pedal assist works.. now its no big deal at all.

Reactions: Giant Bike

Giant Bike

Sep 12, 2024
do you mean,
"Can an electric conversion kit be set to pedal assist only without the Throttle?" Then - YES,

In fact many kits aimed at the eu/uk market are regulation compliant out of the box, some frustratingly locked in that state too. A throttle when included or connected will work at upto 4-6mph (walk mode)

And then some kits aimed at international or regulation free markets sourced via ebay or non eu/uk web-fronts with no restrictions, although few if any pas enabled control systems require a throttle afaik? so if you buy an unrestricted kit ether configure the throttle to legal conditions or simply omit fitting it..

You say you want a mountain bike, is that for ridding off road on occasion or mainly, or is it s style preference for daily road use.

If the former the above advise on best performing motor for the off road aspects is solid. if however the latter and your ridding on the road all the time? The rear wheel kits sold by yose-power are good vfm imho. I bought and fitted one last summer.. and there is plenty of oomph to spare dragging not so little me and sometimes a full load of shopping around town and up the hills (slopes?) back home at the end of the day..

Fwiw yose 250w kits and their controllers are locked down and compliant with the eu/uk regs, i was initially a bit miffed at that being a bit of a tinkerer, but since i want to ride a legal bike (insurance etc..), and have got used to how pedal assist works.. now its no big deal at all.
It would be pavement and off roading.
I wouldn't hit 15 mph on the pavements, respect to pedestrians is a must.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Offroad is beyond my scope of reference, but due to the way the regs are written there is no need to break them to buy fit and run a powerful system.

Granted there is currently not a lot of interest in checking out ebikes atm but it only takes one right wing nutter to suggest e-bikers eat pets and cook them on battery fires and things could change overnight.