Electric Bike Stopped Working........ Help!!!!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Yes. It could be? But my model number is - YK79B. Will email them later to check it out. Thanks

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Personally I would take a punt at it.
The similarities, same case extrusion, end plates held on by 6 screws, same typeface used for "Intelligent Motor Controller", 2 bundles of wires sealed with hot glue and I can make out "YK" on the Golden Motor photo if you enlarge it and push the browser resolution up to 300%.
Their controller model range is CY-01, CY-02 .....
I think yours is YK1 which would correspond to CY-01.

I would ask them if they could provide a datasheet and 1 off sample unit 36v,250w and give you a price delivered to the UK and whether they would accept payment by Paypal.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Have still heard nothing from all the emails I have sent. Tried to use it last night but had to give up as it's far too heavy to pedal even without the battery. The quicker I get this problem sorted - the better!!!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I usually receive replies from China during the middle of the night because of the time difference; this means each communication takes 24 hours unless you respond in the early hours.
If you can't wait then I would look for an alternative that closely matches your connectors, perhaps other members could look at your picture and suggest an alternative.
If you could label what each connector goes to that is used on your setup that would help.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Chris, that's quite an old controller you have there, similar to one used on our bikes from 3 years ago. I can check to find a closest match from our parts stock tomorrow, Thursday. The price will be £34 delivered.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Right I have checked out the wiring destinations as best as I can and labelled them accordingly.

Here is a picture which should clarify the connections.

Contoller Unit.jpg

If you can find a controller, at the right price of course, that would be helpful.

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi all. Still have heard nothing from the many emails sent. Was hoping to have at least sorted out a replacement of some kind by now?

Feel lost without my bike...... I hate walking......... Bhah..........!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Chris,

I think I might have been a bit hasty in recommending you to take the Chinese supplier route and given you the impression it would be easy.

It is not unfortunately, as the language and time barrier can make it quite a lengthy and frustrating process; a bit like my slow internet connection today.

Emails need to be short and precise so as not to create confusion at the other end.

Multiple emails will almost guarantee this.

The site has a contact button for when they are online but this is usually live only in the wee small hours.

My best recommendation would be to pursue JuicyBike's kind offer to sort you out a replacement, as you have taken the time to post the labeled up picture of your old one, I am sure he can supply a unit the would only require a minor connector alteration to get you up and running again on your trusty steed.

The price he quoted was very reasonable too, he has stepped in on quite a few similar occasions to help members out and I have not seen any negative feedback posted, therefore my recommendation.

Perhaps you could PM him and see if the offer is still available.

Regards,

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Shemozzle99.

Thanks for advice. I am missing my so called 'Trusty Steed' so am looking to sort it ASAP.

Will PM him and see how I get on?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Right. I am now well and truly peed off! Spent the last few hours rewiring a replacement controller, refitted it - and nothing!

Just a thought. Removed displayer unit and connected it across battery wire, but no lights whatsoever. The battery still reads 40-42volts on the output - could a cell be suspect I wonder?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Chris
Remove throttle and power display and both brakes. Leave just the pedal sensor attached to the controller and see if the motor fires-up.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
No nothing......! I am just wondering whether the battery charger may be faulty? This would account for enough charge to give a reading on the multimeter but of course not sufficient charge to get the damn thing to work? Looks like it's heading for the local tip.....!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Well, maybe the problem is now either the sensor, or motor - as that's all that is connected.
Try reconnecting the throttle and disconnecting the pedal sensor.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
As I mentioned in my previous post I have had nothing else connected except the displayer unit across the main power wires from the battery. No lights illuminate on the displayer unit whatsoever. This, in my opinion, suggests there is insufficient power from the battery?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
If the battery is suspect you will find the voltage of the battery drops down when you try and draw power from it. Perhaps if you had a voltmeter connected when you tried connecting something to the battery you could see if the voltage drops away

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
And you've taken a measurement from the battery with a voltmeter, reading around 40Volts. I wouldn't give up on the battery yet. You should get some reaction from the motor from a reading of 40V, so long as the cables aren't broken and either the throttle, or the pedal sensor is working.

You've tried the pedal sensor on its own, and the throttle on its own. I would next check the cable continuity to the throttle...

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I appreciate what your saying, but a continuity check isn't going to make any difference if the cables are not connected? I have just connected the displayer unit across the power output from the battery charger and it illuminated fine. I then connected the battery charger to the battery and the indicator light remained on red for about 2 minutes and then it turned to flashing green, which usually indicates a fully charged battery. I then reconnected the displayer unit across the battery charger output again and nothing... I have a sneaky feeling that the battery charger is cutting out too soon before the charging is complete.....? I may leave it until tomorrow now when I have given it more thought..!