Electric bicycle holiday in Switzerland

julianlanger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2008
I have just returned from a excellent one week holiday in Switzerland using the top of the range Swiss Flyer bike.

The holiday is organised by the Swiss travel centre London.
The package includes travel,half board,hire of bikes and forwarding of luggage to the next hotel.

This is the first year of the holiday and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone like myself who would never consider cycling in Switzerland normally(I am 71) but found it quite possible using the electric bike even climbing up to 6000ft..

They give you a spare battery to carry and a charger.

The views are out of this world and the bicycle is the best way to appreciate them.

We have done many cycling holidays in the past,but never with an electric bicycle.This has to be the best one we have done.

Julian Langer

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
That sounds great, but I could not find anything about it on the website of the Switzerland Travel Centre.
Do you have a link?

julianlanger

Oct 16, 2008
That is the correct link,but if you want any more information about the holiday other than than what you read through the link,you can e mail me any time.

Julian Langer

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Julian

Is the tour 'organised' in the sense you are travelling with others (guided) or is it a matter of following directions? Sounds great I must say - will look at how often it runs - late September would be nice.

Mike

julianlanger

Oct 16, 2008
The tour is self guided.You just follow the route outlined in the information given.

The Swiss with their typical efficiency have marked every intersection with a red flyer marker,so it is impossible to get lost.

The package starts every Saturday and the bikes are the best going.I ride an Agattu in London and the lithium battery is identical to mine,but the gearing is better than mine.

I think it will still be running in late September but you need to contact the Swiss Touring office to confirm that.

Julian Langer

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Swiss Tourist Centre no longer doing trip but...

Hi Julian

Had another look at this and getting keen to do it next summer but unfortunately it's no longer offered by the STC (who presumably organised travel arrangements to Spiez etc.) However they did give a contact (www.alpavia.ch) who seem to be the actual providers of the bikes/accomodation etc. once you get to Spiez. How did you travel to Spiez? Looking at independent travel it seems a flight to Zurich and train travel to Spiez is the most practical. Probably I should email you for a lot more observations but has anyone else tried this tour?

Regards.

Mike