Eco Expedition

Louise Bruce

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I am near Tunbridge Wells. The motor is fine. I took it to an electric bike shop in Woodbridge and the bloke said that many of the wires in the black box had been cut and bodged back together. Odd as the box has never been opened. I have a photo of the old sensor which was replaced. I’ll send the pic separately because I have to find it in my computer.
Louise

Louise Bruce

May 4, 2020
That’s the broken one that was replaced and the problem was sorted. I can take the one off the bike if it would help.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That’s the broken one that was replaced and the problem was sorted. I can take the one off the bike if it would help.
You've given enough info. There are two things to look for. Firstly, that black disc must be an even 1mm from the actual sensor that sits next to it with a wire coming out. If your chain comes off or it's not on tight enough, it can move away, then it won't work properly. All you have to do is wiggle it back into position. Secondly, if they're too loose on the shaft, instead of turning with the pedals, they start slipping. You can check that by watching it while you turn the pedals and/or put a finger on it lightly to see if that holds it still while the pedals turn, which it shouldn't do.

After that, you have to check that the wire isn't damaged, then follow the wire to the controller and check the connector there to see if there's any corrosion or other problem. All these things are pretty easy to check and only take a couple of minutes.

On 8th August, I'm going to East Grinstead (West side). I'll probably be going round the M25 from Essex, then down the A22. If you can get the bike anywhere near that route, I'd be happy to have a quick look at it if the above doesn't sort it.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Louise Bruce

May 4, 2020
Oh! I did reply. Is there somewhere I could take it before the 8th and leave it?
East Geinstead isn’t too far from me and well worth the trip if you can fix my bike.
i rather doubt my ability to fix it myself.
thank you again for helping me. Despite some negative reviews I have really enjoyed the bike.
Louise

Reactions: Ghost1951