eBike Rear Hub - Clicking Noise

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Nice to see with all the tools he has available he still stands on it at 15:48 :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You don't need any special tools to get them apart. Remove the screws that hold the side on, then put a piece of wood on the ground and bounce the axle on it with the wire side up. Make sure the wires are straight so that they can go through the axle as the side lifts. That should loosen the side a bit, then stand on the wheel to push the axle through. You have to sort of jump your weight because the magnetism holds the stator in like a spring. Once it's out, you have to keep your weight on otherwise it'll get pulled back in by the magnetism. You should be able to lift it off from there with your hand.

Be careful when you put it back because the pull from the magnetism is massive. Make sure you keep your fingers on the bit of axle with the wires coming out. Don't put them anywhere near the stator otherwise they'll get chopped off.

At this stage, I'd be looking to live with the clicking unless it starts to get worse. If it's debris, it might just wear away. If it's the freewheel, the oil will sort it out eventually. A completely loose magnet would make a grinding sound, so I'm pretty sure that's not what you have.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Thanks again.

Me taking the hub motor apart is last resort at moment though.

Emailed company down south I bought kit from and he's gotten back (which I appreciate as it's 3 months out of warranty), this is latest message, being honest I'm not quite sure what he means, does this make sense to anyone here what he's asking?

Job for LBS?

I think it could be in the cassette hub body .. you may need to send the hub back to us to test ,, just before you do though, when you remove the wheel make sure none of the washers have been catching on the cassette screw fixing ,,, they are really tight and can catch

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I finally got around to getting the rear hub looked at, the bearings had disintegrated and he also replaced the cassette and washers and thinks it might have been over-tightened (!?).

Not tested it yet but fingers crossed no more problems.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I finally got around to getting the rear hub looked at, the bearings had disintegrated and he also replaced the cassette and washers and thinks it might have been over-tightened (!?).

Not tested it yet but fingers crossed no more problems.
It's good that the supplier serviced it out of guarantee. What did he charge you, if that isn't a rude question? Hope it has been solved.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
£100 including parts/labour/courier back, does that seem like a fair price or a little steep?

Me to! I'm taking it a local bike shop guy at weekend to refit rear wheel so I can get advice as to why last one disintegrated and make sure it's on securely with the torque arms and all the nuts in the correct place.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
£100 including parts/labour/courier back, does that seem like a fair price or a little steep?

Me to! I'm taking it a local bike shop guy at weekend to refit rear wheel so I can get advice as to why last one disintegrated and make sure it's on securely with the torque arms and all the nuts in the correct place.
Considering that includes delivery, packaging?, parts, and labour. Yeah pretty good deal.. -Especially for a successful (fingers crossed) and speedy fix
Any less and you would have to start doubting the quality of workmanship.. bike repair guys have to eat as well as pay all their overheads..

Ask your local guy his hourly rate..

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Considering that includes delivery, packaging?, parts, and labour. Yeah pretty good deal.. -Especially for a successful (fingers crossed) and speedy fix
Any less and you would have to start doubting the quality of workmanship.. bike repair guys have to eat as well as pay all their overheads..

Ask your local guy his hourly rate..
Yeah I think it was fair enough assuming it's working OK and guy seems to know his stuff around the mechanics.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Interestingly his UK website has 'gone' past few months where I bought the hub/KT controller/display kit from and also the 52V battery, maybe he got pinched for it, I didn't ask..

The guy that's going to refit hub/washers etc. at weekend has been reasonable past cpl yrs and had some spend, suppose I should be glad he'll look at the bike given it's might be little overpowered although he'll only do mechs nothing to do with kit, but that's what I need. Dude is a bit nuts (I hope he's not on here... :) ), but has worked I think on TdF teams in the past as a mech and runs quite an impressive local small shop.