Ebike fitting recommendations required

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's anywhere in London that can fit /connect ebike components?

Help much appreciated.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's anywhere in London that can fit /connect ebike components?

Help much appreciated.
There is, but it might be very expensive. Many years ago, a member had his bike converted by The Electric Transport shop. It cost £2000 including the parts. The bike was unlikeable and didn't have a pedal sensor, so he took it back to the shop, and they fitted a 89 pence pedal sensor and charged him £600 for it. As the bike was still unrideable, we told him to take it back and insist that they made it rideable. 2 weeks later, they admitted that they couldn't make it rideable, so took it all off again and gave him his money back. The main problem was the massive battery hanging off the back wheel that made it wheelie every time he opened the throttle.

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
There is, but it might be very expensive. Many years ago, a member had his bike converted by The Electric Transport shop. It cost £2000 including the parts. The bike was unlikeable and didn't have a pedal sensor, so he took it back to the shop, and they fitted a 89 pence pedal sensor and charged him £600 for it. As the bike was still unrideable, we told him to take it back and insist that they made it rideable. 2 weeks later, they admitted that they couldn't make it rideable, so took it all off again and gave him his money back. The main problem was the massive battery hanging off the back wheel that made it wheelie every time he opened the throttle.
Yikes! Those are crazy prices. Glad the person got their money back. Funnily enough I bought my ebike from them many years ago, but they are no longer in Camden. I only need someone to put hall sensor connectors on it and check all connectors - everything is already fitted to the bike. If I can't get it done what are your thoughts on my fitting a sensorless controller?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yikes! Those are crazy prices. Glad the person got their money back. Funnily enough I bought my ebike from them many years ago, but they are no longer in Camden. I only need someone to put hall sensor connectors on it and check all connectors - everything is already fitted to the bike. If I can't get it done what are your thoughts on my fitting a sensorless controller?
Are you saying your motor doesn't have hall sensors? If so, I'd say that it would be cheaper to buy a new motor than get someone to custom fit them.

Some motors work sensorless better than others, likewise with the controller's, and a controller that works well with one motor might not work with others. They mainly all work to some extent. It's at startup that many give problems, which isn't so bad with a pedal assisted low power motor, but no good with a throttle only powerful one.

My judgement of what happened with Allen-uk was that TETS subbed out his conversion to some enthusiastic amateur, and they both wanted to make a sizeable profit from it. They advertised their "Boss kit", which looked like a 500w geared motor with the battery in a bag. It was relatively expensive, but would have suited Allen. For whatever reason, they didn't fit it, and it was a surprise to see a massive direct drive in the back wheel and an 8kg LiFePO4 battery hanging off the back of the rack when he went to collect it.

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Are you saying your motor doesn't have hall sensors? If so, I'd say that it would be cheaper to buy a new motor than get someone to custom fit them.

Some motors work sensorless better than others, likewise with the controller's, and a controller that works well with one motor might not work with others. They mainly all work to some extent. It's at startup that many give problems, which isn't so bad with a pedal assisted low power motor, but no good with a throttle only powerful one.

My judgement of what happened with Allen-uk was that TETS subbed out his conversion to some enthusiastic amateur, and they both wanted to make a sizeable profit from it. They advertised their "Boss kit", which looked like a 500w geared motor with the battery in a bag. It was relatively expensive, but would have suited Allen. For whatever reason, they didn't fit it, and it was a surprise to see a massive direct drive in the back wheel and an 8kg LiFePO4 battery hanging off the back of the rack when he went to collect it.
No, my motor has hall sensors but I couldn't get a stable connection to get the motor to spin, so thought bypassing the sensors may be an option. I had a thread a while back - bike still out of action :-( just want to get back on my bike.

0h I see regarding the conversion. Hope he managed to get a bike eventually.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No, my motor has hall sensors but I couldn't get a stable connection to get the motor to spin, so thought bypassing the sensors may be an option. I had a thread a while back - bike still out of action :-( just want to get back on my bike.

0h I see regarding the conversion. Hope he managed to get a bike eventually.
Did you try all 36 combinations?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Did you try all 36 combinations?
I couldn't get a stable hall sensor connection to do all 36 combinations, Saneagle. I managed about 15 :( I contacted an ebike mechanic who said he would just open the hub to see where the wires go to get things working. The 03 error is a pain. I just want to take it somewhere to have it done as it's been so frustrating.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I couldn't get a stable hall sensor connection to do all 36 combinations, Saneagle. I managed about 15 :( I contacted an ebike mechanic who said he would just open the hub to see where the wires go to get things working. The 03 error is a pain. I just want to take it somewhere to have it done as it's been so frustrating.
You need someone that likes tinkering, knows about these things and doesn't care about money. If you found a guy like that near you, you'd have to pinch yourself to wake up. It's about a 2 hour job for a competent person, and they'd probably need to order some parts, so something like £100 for a shop to do it.

If you were getting intermittent results, theres a fair chance you have a damaged cable, which is a very tricky repair. I've done it a couple of times. It involves mainly a lot of cursing and swearing , and a few grazed knuckles - not good for the soul or the hands.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
You need someone that likes tinkering, knows about these things and doesn't care about money. If you found a guy like that near you, you'd have to pinch yourself to wake up. It's about a 2 hour job for a competent person, and they'd probably need to order some parts, so something like £100 for a shop to do it.

If you were getting intermittent results, theres a fair chance you have a damaged cable, which is a very tricky repair. I've done it a couple of times. It involves mainly a lot of cursing and swearing , and a few grazed knuckles - not good for the soul or the hands.
Yes, I'm finding this is like a needle in a haystack - I would definitely pinch myself.

Today, I rigged up my old controller (which my ebike tester confirmed is faulty) and the wheel spins normally, albeit with its fault, so the motor cable should be ok, no? I purchased a motor cable just in case, but won't attempt it, as I've seen how difficult it is on YouTube videos.

Thanks for your help.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
can you remind me what it's fault is?
I keep getting 03 error code. The few times I've not had the code the motor wouldn't spin the wheel, I only got a slight judder and an output reading from the motor on the display. Pic attached.

I connected my old controller yesterday and the wheel spins, so the halls should be ok, right? However, it's not safe to ride as throttle jams due to blown hall effect sensor or something inside the controller.

Attachments

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I keep getting 03 error code. The few times I've not had the code the motor wouldn't spin the wheel, I only got a slight judder and an output reading from the motor on the display. Pic attached.

I connected my old controller yesterday and the wheel spins, so the halls should be ok, right? However, it's not safe to ride as throttle jams due to blown hall effect sensor or something inside the controller.
Throttle jamming is a throttle problem, nothing to do with the controller, except if you have cruise control enabled, which isprobably what you had. If one controller works and the other doesn't, it means E03 is wrong connection sequence unless the controller that works is for sensorless motors.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Throttle jamming is a throttle problem, nothing to do with the controller, except if you have cruise control enabled, which isprobably what you had. If one controller works and the other doesn't, it means E03 is wrong connection sequence unless the controller that works is for sensorless motors.
Hi Saneagle, sorry my wording may have been wrong, the throttle was changing sound not jamming - it was tested and was normal. I think it's definitely a controller issue as two controller lights A & C did not come on at all on the ebike tester. I didn't have cruise control. A while back someone mentioned it might be a blown resistor or transistor in the controller causing the throttle to make a high pitched sound.

It's a sensored controller, so I think you're right about the connection sequence being incorrect - just have to find someone to do it, so fingers crossed.

Thanks very much for your help and speedy responses. Hopefully, I'll have it sorted soon.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi Saneagle, sorry my wording may have been wrong, the throttle was changing sound not jamming - it was tested and was normal. I think it's definitely a controller issue as two controller lights A & C did not come on at all on the ebike tester. I didn't have cruise control. A while back someone mentioned it might be a blown resistor or transistor in the controller causing the throttle to make a high pitched sound.

It's a sensored controller, so I think you're right about the connection sequence being incorrect - just have to find someone to do it, so fingers crossed.

Thanks very much for your help and speedy responses. Hopefully, I'll have it sorted soon.
If I had your bike in front of me, it would be sorted in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I'm at least 150 miles away and I just can't understand anything you're telling me. Maybe I'm just thick or too much senile dementure.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
If I had your bike in front of me, it would be sorted in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I'm at least 150 miles away and I just can't understand anything you're telling me. Maybe I'm just thick or too much senile dementure.
It's definitely a connection/sequence issue. I'm sure you could have it fixed in a minute, but way too far away. Thanks for your time anyway.