EBCO Eagle

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Just noticed this bike on the onbike site.. The EBCO Eagle!

Where did this company appear from?! Very modern looking bikes, I like the built-in LCD computer console:

That's some serious design!

Last edited:
The original producer of this bike´s is Tranz-x, a Taiwan company
It is a normal China bike because tranz-x factory is in China.
I have seen this bike, if i remember right on Shanghai(China) exhibition in may this year.

But i also like the design of the 20" Bike, not so boring as normal bike´s.

regards
frank

Last edited:

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
The bike was reviewed in Stuff issue 10.10. Their conclusion was:

"Comfy for casual rides but ponderous for those in a hurry"

"Its sit up, Dutch-style riding position rules out most other trips {other than simple commutes} as does the weight"

According to them it weights 30kg, vs ? 24kg for a Wisper?

It is a Trans-X - it was being exhibited by a number of distributors in Friedrichshaffen Eurobike 2010.

I have not ridden one, but my wife did not rate them particularly highly compared to the others she tried.

The two brothers who are EBCO were the people who 'invented' Mountain Bikes in the UK. Their POS material looks impressive (Earls Court 2010), and expensive, and they look well funded. I hope they do well - it is a brave investment.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes Bruce they are the Stanforth brothers, the guys behind Saracen Bikes. Saracen sold over a million mountain bikes in the UK, the Stanforths recently sold the Saracen brand to Madison for an undisclosed amount so would imagine are indeed very well funded.

I have met Paul and Rick a few times and they are very business like and passionate about bikes. We wish them good fortune, in my opinion they can only do good for the industry.

All the best

David

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Seems aimed squarely at the commuter market - great suggested range: 80km!

wasim6ocgm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,Has anyone any experience with this model - I rather fancy the design after seeing it in a Norwich dealers showroom. The only down-side from my perspective is it does not have seat suspension. Just wondering if it would be possible to change the seat post to a suspension type.
Following on from my previous post...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/8020-newbie-requires-advice-please.html

... I'm still looking - have tried a Whisper 705 also Kalkhof Agattu - still cannot make up my mind and was rather swayed by this little beauty!

Thanks

Ian

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
AtoB have reviewed the bike in the latest issue. Overall it didn't come out too badly, the main negative being replacement battery cost being in excess of £400 and guaranteed (whatever that means in relation to a battery) for only 12 months. Also it weighs in at a hefty 28Kg.

They thought that it rode nicely, was well geared and stable.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Just had one on test - Newby dipping my toe

I have had one of these on test for the last 24 hours. I will preface my response that this is the first time I have cycled any distance in years. I tried a Dahon Cadenza with Bionx, Raleigh Dover, Freego Hawk and the Ebco Eagle. They were all from the very helpful Cycling Made Easy at Coulsdon. The Eagle seemed to have the edge on grunt and hill climbing ability. I therefore took it on my test route today. This comprised of up the fairly steep Sanderstead Hill then out through Hamsey Green and Warlingham. I then took a right down Slines Oak Road and down into the valley of the downs. I then climbed up the other side and played a round of golf at North Downs. I then rode home after 18 holes. 6.1 miles each way and a few miles walking on the course. At 53 years of age and an unfit 15.5 stone I surprised myself as to that I actually completed my test. The Eagle performed very well and I managed to get up the very steep section at either end of Slines Oak Road. I cannot give a percentage but V Steep. Build quality of the bike seems good and it certainly looks different. I would manage to see 25 - 26kph on the speedo before the assistance dropped away quite sharply. The bike was stable and brakes were efficient if a little squealy when keeping the speed under check. The big 'if' is probably nothing to do with the bike but the condition of the roads and my general lack of confidence. I was very surprised at how bad the road surface is and the fact that the bike only has limited suspension made the experience a bit of a shock. I returned the bike this afternoon. The guys at the shop were very knowledgeable and helpful. They have a great range of bikes. The problem I have is to decide if I could suffer the roads on any bike. I would also need a little more assistance on very steep hills as although I did it, it was very hard. I know with current power limits to stay legit I am probably not going to find what I need just yet. Food for thought.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's an excellent test, especially Slines Oak Road and it's wicked steeper sections. And yes, some of those road surfaces are atrocious as I know from my many miles on them.

Good to hear Cycling Made Easy looked after you so well.