E-bike seizures surge as police take 'death traps' off the streets

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Those photographs on the Sky News report don’t make any sense to me.

Nobody in their right mind would park their e-bike at a train station bike shed without locking it up.

So did the Police unlock the bikes to pull them out and then switch them on to test them?

And they can’t go around confiscating parked up e-bikes either. That would be theft. They need to catch the people riding them illegally in order to confiscate them.

I‘m sure those photos were staged and it was just a publicity stunt to highlight the use of illegal ebikes.

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
There`s a sign on the shed saying "cycle squad" can`t read the rest. Probably where they put all the confiscated or stolen bikes. Looks like maybe official paper work in the zip tied plastic bags. Also noticed some bikes with police written on the front forks. who knows........

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
And they can’t go around confiscating parked up e-bikes either. That would be theft. They need to catch the people riding them illegally in order to confiscate them.
Is that actually the case? What is they have 'suspicion'....?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is that actually the case? What is they have 'suspicion'....?
They would need evidence that the bikes have been ridden. You could assume that somebody rode the bike there, but a defence would be, "I pushed it there to sell it to a guy I met in a pub." In a high street, there's probably CCTV showing that the bike was ridden, but they'd need to have it to seize the bike, and prove that the rider was the owner.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Drivers can get off lightly having murdered a cyclist... or several I expect, if they don't murder them all at the same time causing headlines. Prsion sentences and bans wear off after a mere couple of years to enable them to do it again.

It was a drunk driver suddenly accelerating at me from a side street like that, which spurred me to install three bright 1800LM+ headlights on my bike - as I passed directly in front of him parked at a junction to my left (night, pub closing time), he suddenly accelerated toward me and hit the brakes shouting "FSCKING HELLl!!!" They don't pull out in front blind to me anymore, but after seeing this horrific video, I shall have two bright headlights lights on flashing mode instead of the usual one plus two constant (1800LM + 1800LM + 2400LM), and the other on constant. My lights are on day and night. I don't put up with this shiz at all.