Do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it?

Do you leave you battery on the bike whe you lock it?

• Yes most of the time.

Votes: 135 75.8%
  • No never.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 19 10.7%

• Total voters

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have taken it on a train and although it works, carrying it through the larger stations with loads of platforms is quite hard work, especially if you are rushing to catch a connection.
I wheel mine across stations since it takes so little time to fold it up. All the London stations anyway have wide load gates.

If I go up steps as at Waterloo to Waterloo East, I hook the saddle nose over my shoulder and can actually carry it up the stairs/ escalator hands free like that.

I never leave the Brompton locked up outside anywhere and know few Brompton owners who do. Unfortunately everyone knows they are expensive and being so portable they are far too easy to flog to some (ahem!) 'bargain hunter' down the local boozer.

The battery on my Kalkhoff locks on anyway but when I leave it at a regular stop, or for a long while, I thread a cable through the handle which plugs into my Axa lock after wrapping around the lamp post or whatever. It provides double (if not that secure in itself) security for the bike at the same time as my Abus heavy duty item provides the real security.

There's really only so much you can do before taking the bike becomes more trouble and worry than it is worth. A matter of balance, I suppose.

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I leave my wisper with battery locked up on the street in East and central London. To not do so would be to defeat the object of the bike in the first place - convenient transport. There again, I only paid £250 for the bike, so I'm not so worried.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
I have tried to keep the weight down. The Brompton weighs around 13kgs and the bag about 2-3kgs. Obviously I would not like to carry bike and bag for more than 10 minutes or so. I have taken it on a train and although it works, carrying it through the larger stations with loads of platforms is quite hard work, especially if you are rushing to catch a connection.
My Cyclamatic Foldaway is way heavier than your Brompton (23kg?) and quite a lump when I park it next to the table.

However, it may be better than yours on railway platforms - it rolls along very happily on the back wheel.

You can even push it round in folded condition with the panniers and shopping on it. Though in that state it's huge and starts to attract comment in Wetherspoons!

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
The battery on my Kalkhoff locks on anyway but when I leave it at a regular stop, or for a long while, I thread a cable through the handle which plugs into my Axa lock after wrapping around the lamp post or whatever. It provides double (if not that secure in itself) security for the bike at the same time as my Abus heavy duty item provides the real security.
The Axa (or "Dutch horseshoe") locks are stupendous, all our cycles have them, as all cycles should. Some have the additional plug in cable/chain, which is superb as well.

Except the Cyclamatic Foldaway, the wheel profile/mudguard combination is too deep and there's no obvious way to mount the lock on the frame.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I do leave the battery on my bike when I lock it :)

Parked it about 10 times now, no problem yet (and I hope it won't happen)

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I am slightly more nervous the seat will disappear
I pass a short cable lock through the seat bars and under the frame to secure the seat.

My Urban Mover is fitted with a security lock and chain, I pass the chain through the battery handle.
...turns a 10 second theft into...I don't know...20 seconds ? :)
...then I use a "gold standard" Kryptonite lock ...weighs a ton....to secure the lot.

.....then trust to luck :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I do leave the battery on my bike when I lock it :)

Parked it about 10 times now, no problem yet (and I hope it won't happen)
Boy! I love this, and well done, you will be fine...as long as not in same place every day?

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi. I have taken the quick release off mine and put a S/Steel Torx ! Bolt through so very difficult to remove unless you go around with a set of Torx keys but I also put a small cable lock through the seat and battery and around the frame.
Steve

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've never been in a situation (yet) where I've had to leave my bike anywhere..but it's a self-build with the battery in a handlebar bag. If I needed to leave the bike I'd just unclip the bag and take it with me, the battery is under 3kg.