Do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it?

Do you leave you battery on the bike whe you lock it?

• Yes most of the time.

Votes: 135 75.8%
  • No never.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 19 10.7%

• Total voters

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I've seen quite a few e-bikes locked up now, and most of the time the battery is left on the bike.

For me, in London, that seems crazy! Leaving an item worth several hundred pounds unattended attached to a bike. However other people may have different ideas...

So do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it in the street?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes always, on my former Lafree, my Quando and Torq based bikes and on the Kalkhoff Agattu when I was testing it.

That said, e-bikes are as rare as hens teeth in my area, so the demand for stolen batteries would be likewise.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I always left the Powabyke SLA battery locked on the bike, but used a chain through the handle for added safety.
The Wisper has a lock as well, and I will leave it on - again with a chain through the handle for added security.
I was amazed to find out today that the X series Powabykes have no means of locking the battery, and any owner is inviting a thief by leaving it on the bike.
Thus, I would imagine the results will depend on the type of bike you have.

Colin

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I know Powacycle have some system whereby the "ignition key" locks the battery down into its housing so it would be very difficult to remove quickly. presumably other bikes have this.

also, as flecc mentioned demand would currently be low and the kinds of people currently riding e-bikes tend to be older and (hopefully!) with more of a sense of integrity; unlike mountain bikes where at "street level" the bikes and parts are currency which can be exchanged for cash and/or variety of other commodities including drugs.

TBH tourers, hybrids and other 700C bikes, trikes and recumbents also tend not to get nicked or have bits robbed as often as often as the bikes and components also aren't as easy to exchange or sell on. An ebike (even an expensive one) looks to a chav like a "old man / lady's bike " due to mudguards, rack etc and might even as yet be left alone! Tends to be MTBs and BMX and occasionally very pricey racers being targeted...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've seen quite a few e-bikes locked up now, and most of the time the battery is left on the bike.
You mean my bike? :D
Sometimes I'll fit it a couple of hours before I leave work but I tend not to if I'll be leaving after 5pm as that's when light fingers tend to start playing with things. Someone had tried moving it ths evening.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
For my Wisper I am slightly less worried that the battery will disappear, I am slightly more nervous the seat will disappear - that could make it rather difficult to get home!!!!

John
this is a risk to all bikes with QR seatposts. Anyone here care to suggest appropriate security measures?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
With all the wires dangling out of my diy lashup i'm not sure they would know where to start!!!!One advantage of a ebike of more value to myself than others.:)
I rode past a new (abandoned, probably stolen) full suspension bike yesterday, minus wheels. It seems odd that the major parts were left attached to the frame but the wheels were missing. Thieves are complete opportunists who will take the easiest parts to steal and sell on irrelevant to the parts value. I guess, that includes batteries....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I rode past a new (abandoned, probably stolen) full suspension bike yesterday, minus wheels. It seems odd that the major parts were left attached to the frame but the wheels were missing.

I think the frequent wheel thefts are often just the easy way that others deal with punctures or split tyres.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
unlike 26" wheels, batteries will only gain a street value once ebikes become popular enough for people to realise what they are and that enough less scrupulous people are riding them.

although I'm sure its happened I've hardly ever heard of a 700c wheel being nicked even when they are on quick release.. maybe very occasionally a flashy expensive road bike wheel by envious or unscrupulous lycras but not a touring rim...

Although the expensive (motor) wheel of an ebike may eventually become a target that is also hard to get off without tools and knowledge of the machines construction.

That said I have to admit I have never parked up my ebike in town for more than a few minutes despite their being ample racks under CCTV and bike thefts being much rarer than in London (people even left bikes unlocked until a year or two ago). I do leave the battery in when I lock it at work (unless of course I need to charge it up!)

One scam I have heard of with high value bikes locked up in public places is some scrote sussing out they can defeat your lock, but rather than haul it away there and then (such as in daylight or when cops/CCTV are more alert) another lock (their own for which they have the key) is locked onto the (already locked) bike

The idea here is that the owner scratches their head and works out how to get past the rogue lock without getting themselves nicked, and may go back for tools or to call a bobby (and try and convince them to take immediate action on what they may not see urgent or even consider to be a civil matter unless the owner has proof of ownership with them)

in the meantime, especially if the bike is left with both locks during the hours of darkness (you would hope the victim is not daft enough to remove their lock!) the person what put the second lock returns, removes their rogue lock, cracks the other one and robs the bike!

there is a increasing case for a secure indoor bike park of the same (or better) standard to be created in Britain (don't they have these in some foreign countries?)

Last edited:

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
I certainly do leave it. What on earth would I do with it, if I removed it?
It's not something I can just slip into my hand-bag and, as it is a Powabyke, the battery case can't be removed from the bike or opened, without damaging it, without the ignition key.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
I always left the Powabyke SLA battery locked on the bike, but used a chain through the handle for added safety.
The Wisper has a lock as well, and I will leave it on - again with a chain through the handle for added security.
I was amazed to find out today that the X series Powabykes have no means of locking the battery, and any owner is inviting a thief by leaving it on the bike.
Thus, I would imagine the results will depend on the type of bike you have.

Colin
Well, this was another major concern I had with my X-byke so I made it lockable. Simple enough after a bit of thought and a couple of tries. Although the battery is small and relatively light it's not really something you want to carry around with you, added to which I have myalgia and aching/weakness in my arms and legs so it was impractical. And at £250 for a battery I wasn't going to risk it- when it is easily removed there's a chance somebody would be tempted.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I certainly do leave it. What on earth would I do with it, if I removed it?
It's not something I can just slip into my hand-bag and, as it is a Powabyke, the battery case can't be removed from the bike or opened, without damaging it, without the ignition key.
Actually my nick-name for it is the handbag! ;)

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
My goodness.

By the time I have secured the battery, the helmet, the bike, and the basket and the panniers and heaven only knows what, it would be the middle of next week and I would have forgotten what I came out for anyway.

When I take the thing into 'dens of iniquity' like New Milton and Lymington, I do secure the rear wheel, with a bike chain and once, back in the good old days, when it was the only one in the territory, at Tesco, I even chained the thing to a stout rail--but I must admit, that until this thread, I had never actually given the BATTERY a thought.

I DO have a warped sense of humour I know, but the prospect of some would be thief trying to run off carrying a PB battery case (it's not exactly something you can slide unobtrusively into even the largest of jacket pockets and slip into the crowd with is it) rather makes me giggle.

I suppose I could paint my post code on it, in some bright paint.

I do appreciate though that with these smaller, lighter and 'more valuable than gold', shiny 'hi-tech' LIs, it really is much more of a serious problem. That's the problem isn't it, with all these new and innovative 'must haves'.

Far too many of the people who 'must have' them, seem to think that we paying folk should provide them for free.

The Wisper battery looks as if it might ALMOST fit into my handbag--but I would have to take out everything else first. ;)

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
My Agattu is used for commuting, and over this winter I have got into the habit of removing the battery while I am at work. This is not so much for security, but I was a bit concerned at the effect the cold might have on the battery's performance come the end of the day. Last thing I want is to be out of juice!

As the warmer weather returns I shall probably revert to leaving it in place.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Are you not missing the point about taking the battery away with you. It is not the value of the battery that is important, it is the value of the bike and battery together. Ebikes hold their value incredibly well - I know, I got a good price for my Torq on ebay. By separating the battery and bike you lower the value so that the bike becomes almost worthless to steal. So I would suggest taking the battery with you for all but the shortest of stops (especially true in major cities).

I am lucky in having a garage at work and at home (smug face). For local shop runs I use a normal(!) bicycle.