Disassembling a giant twist kite 36volt motor

fwmgaok

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2024
Hi,

I had a chat with Google's Gemini ai app about a giant twist lite 36 volt front wheel hub motor i am trying to repair and where to find how to videos/articles with details of tools and techniques required for the process. I am also looking to find places where i could source the sealed bearing parts or any other parts that need replacing. Any tips a d helpful advice would be appreciated. https://g.co/gemini/share/5dcdea463f09

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi n Welcome..
Hi if your looking for a bldc motor service manual it does not exist.. For real help you need to help us out..

Provide details of the bike inc photos of the display unit and controller if possible,

Im guessing you got water in the motor after fitting it upside down??(a very common problem) - if so you will want a slide hammer to pull the old bearings to measure and reorder. (cheap tool or easy to bodge an improvisation .) then all you need do is clean and dry and regrease the gears with a suitable synthetic friendly grease ( that bit is on utube..) rebuild and go.

if the hall sensors and their connections are corroded they can be replaced individually or you can probably find a sensor pcb on ebay.

And if water ingress isnt the issue ive wasted time typing the above.. so DETAILS Please..

fwmgaok

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2024
hi @thelarkbox , The bike is a Giant Twist Lite 2 GTS L Antracite Satin Silver and its a pedal assist front wheel 36 volt motor hub. Discontinued and Giant do not provide any support at all. Pictures attached

I am not sure if water got into the motor however, when opening a working motor one it was much cleaner and there was no signs of brownish corroded liquid so very likely water did find a way though or the bearing just deteriorated over time or both.

Thanks for mentioning slide hammer tool, I have access to a tool like that which I may be able to use.

I am not sure if the electric side of the motor is okay, I think and hope it is though because the motor does try and work when connected but the noise it gives off is of the rough bearings and the motor struggling to work/turn the wheel.

I hope these details are what you need and no you certainly haven't wasted your time typing a response, your mention of the slide hammer tool is a helpful starting point. I just need to figure out what part of the motor/bearing rings I need to tap out and which directions etc.... Would be great if there were some online articles with visuals or helpful videos.

I couldn't find any such pages so far though even after typing the etched details on both motor types which are:

Working motor : "wok DLK 074-6092 120831" and

Non working motor: "wok DLK 074-6077 131118"

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
On the electrical side unless you can see visible damage and disconnected wires or get sensor error indications on your handlebar display, just keep the fingers crossed, and don't make unnecessary work for yourself unless its proven warranted.

btw 2nd reading of the waste of time comment above reveals its a bit more snarky than intended, my bad..

Advertisers