Disappointed with a Pendleton e-bike

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
The former, I can freewheel pedal and the motor kicks in but it doesn’t work as a cycle ie the back wheel doesn’t rotate
Both I and another member had a problem with the pawls sticking in the Pendleton freewheel. I actually dismantled the freewheel and found that the pawls were sticking in their wells due to the grease becoming hard and solid. I just cleaned up the freewheel pawls and the bike has worked ok since.(over 4000 miles).
It may be possible (or even probable) to fix this without removing freewheel or wheel by simply getting some light oil or solvent into freewheel to soften the hard grease.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldmasons

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Why I asked sounds like freewheel pawls sticking.
If you take it to Halfords they will sort it if you don't do it. Most likely they won't have clue or mess around so will replace the freewheel and it will probably happen again so the 3 in 1 oil / wd40 trick should do the job.

Reactions: Oldmasons

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
There are three things about the way the rear wheel on the pendleton is put together that may (imo) make it more likely to break spokes.
1. A 3X spoke pattern is used and because of this the spokes curve as they leave the nipple.
2. At the hub end, there is a gap between the spoke and flange (see photo for example),and this may allow movement (and fatigue) to take place here. i.e. The stiff 13g spokes do not wrap themselves snugly around the hub flanges.I have replaced some broken spokes with cheap softer galvanized 14 g spokes and these actually fit better (and are lasting). ( I am tempted to completely dismantle wheel and fit spoke washers at flange, but this is too tedious).View attachment 26327 ,
3.There is a large offset (dish) to accommodate the 8 speed freewheel and this means there is a huge difference in tension between the drive and non-drive side. Incidentally, I have improved this by removing the 2.4mm freewheel spacer (thats fitted between freewheel and hub and there is enough clearence when removed)) and re-spacing the wheel spacers. This has allowed me to reduce the offset/dish by approx 3 mm.
Hi,

Hi, I know it's a long time ago but can you remember the size spec of the Pendleton Somerby motor wheel spokes? And where you purchased the 14G alternatives?
Thanks,
John

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

Hi, I know it's a long time ago but can you remember the size spec of the Pendleton Somerby motor wheel spokes? And where you purchased the 14G alternatives?
Thanks,
John
You can use a spoke calculator. You need three measurements to do the calculation. Measure the pitch circle diameter of the spoke holes on the motor. Measure the width between the two spoke flanges on the motor. Measure the inside diameter of the rim in three places and take the average, then add on 4mm to get the approximate ERD.

Chose 14g spokes, 36 holes, a 2 or 3-cross pattern, enter those three measurements. The rest don't matter:

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
You can use a spoke calculator. You need three measurements to do the calculation. Measure the pitch circle diameter of the spoke holes on the motor. Measure the width between the two spoke flanges on the motor. Measure the inside diameter of the rim in three places and take the average, then add on 4mm to get the approximate ERD.

Chose 14g spokes, 36 holes, a 2 or 3-cross pattern, enter those three measurements. The rest don't matter:
Thanks but I'm not sure I understand any of that. I hoped you might remember what you ordered. I think I'll just remove one of the intact spokes, measure the length and get some matching 14G replacements on eBay.
Strange that the Pendleton spoke specs aren't generally available anywhere on the web, considering how often they need replacing!

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks but I'm not sure I understand any of that. I hoped you might remember what you ordered. I think I'll just remove one of the intact spokes, measure the length and get some matching 14G replacements on eBay.
Strange that the Pendleton spoke specs aren't generally available anywhere on the web, considering how often they need replacing!
Does that mean you couldn't be bothered to look at the spoke calculator? It's not exactly difficult!

If you use the same rim, you can use spokes the same length as what you already have. If you change the rim, you must calculate the new length of the spokes.

The Pendleton has rim brakes that wear the rim. If I had to change the spokes, I'd be thinking about how much wear there is and probably using the opportunity to replace the rim unless it's fairly new or unused, but then why would you need to replace the spokes?

Last edited:
Reactions: theabsurdman

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
One advantage of modern life is the amazon no quible returns policy,
This enabled me to buy the wrong spoke size way too many times and simply correct my order and returb the wrong spokes..

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The Pendleton has rim brakes that wear the rim. If I had to change the spokes, I'd be thinking about how much wear there is and probably using the opportunity to replace the rim unless it's fairly new or unused, but then why would you need to replace the spokes?
The front rim on my partner's Pendleton has worn a bit and the surface is pretty rough and noisy under braking. I was messing about with the brake blocks yesterday trying to silence the front brake. There were particles of aluminium embedded in the rubber friction material and my efforts to clean up the blocks and adjust the brake were futile. Still makes a nasty noise and is totally different to the rear brake which works silently.

Now rim soon needed, I think.

Vis a vis the other comments about battery life on this bike and hill climbing ability, hers is pretty good. She can easily get 25 miles in hilly North Pennine terrain and she weights probably about 130 pounds. I rode it about four miles yesterday trying the brakes after adjustment and it climbed hills pretty well. A bit noisy in the motor department, but climbed in a spirited fashion. I weigh 174 pounds. For the money they cost, I wouldn't speak so harshly about the bike as some contributors have.

Last edited:

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Does that mean you couldn't be bothered to look at the spoke calculator? It's not exactly difficult!

If you use the same rim, you can use spokes the same length as what you already have. If you change the rim, you must calculate the new length of the spokes.

The wheel has 2 broken/ missing spokes. I just need to replace those.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The wheel has 2 broken/ missing spokes. I just need to replace those.
If it were my bike, I'd get a tape measure and measure one. They go 2mm into the rim, so you need to add that much to it when you measure a normal unbroken spoke in the wheel from the elbow to the rim.

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
If it were my bike, I'd get a tape measure and measure one. They go 2mm into the rim, so you need to add that much to it when you measure a normal unbroken spoke in the wheel.
Thanks, that's straightforward useful information that will save me some hassle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will need a spoke wrench to fit new spokes so why not simply remove a good one to measure it ?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
As much as that?!
tbh im just repeating advice given to me that proved helpful.. my experience is limited to rebuilding a single wheel for which i ordered the wrong sized spokes way too often (thanks amazon) the rim replacement in my case was significantly different from the original so old spokes were the wrong size to start with not that any were in a state to measure...

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Hi,

Thanks,
John
In my particular case (2017 pedleton), the rear spokes were 272mm but it is easy to measure as even on the broken spokes some of the curved section was still present.
It was very easy in my case to replace the spokes as there was no disk and the 32 tooth freewheel allowed just enough room to thread the spoke, so spoke replacement could be done without removing the wheel or even deflation the tyre by using the existing nipple left on the rim and using a similar replacement 13g spoke.
Once the wheel started breaking spokes, it became a regular habit and I think I replaced 10 or more spokes over the rims lifespan (about 8K miles).
I could replace the spokes in about 15 minutes eventually and carried spares down in the seat tube although I never needed to replace a spoke on the go.
Be sure to measure your spoke as illustrated below. I think there are suppliers in UK will supply 13g spokes e.g Ryan spokes or customcutspokes.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi,

Thanks,
John
If it's any help, it's worth lubricating the ends of the spokes, especially where they locate in the hub. (The end that always breaks!) That allows them to move in use. When you lubricate the nipple end, don't get the rim oily or you will never stop! My first bike, a Woosh Santana, broke a spoke, but Woosh were very helpful. (Hatti, if she's still there). I built my current back wheel with 3-speed hub and lots of grease during the build. A very helpful Australian bird on YouTube was the key to my success. Anyway, run some oil round all the spoke ends and leave it to soak.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No need to subtract anything , just measure the length correctly.

theabsurdman

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
In my particular case (2017 pedleton), the rear spokes were 272mm but it is easy to measure as even on the broken spokes some of the curved section was still present.
It was very easy in my case to replace the spokes as there was no disk and the 32 tooth freewheel allowed just enough room to thread the spoke, so spoke replacement could be done without removing the wheel or even deflation the tyre by using the existing nipple left on the rim and using a similar replacement 13g spoke.
Once the wheel started breaking spokes, it became a regular habit and I think I replaced 10 or more spokes over the rims lifespan (about 8K miles).
I could replace the spokes in about 15 minutes eventually and carried spares down in the seat tube although I never needed to replace a spoke on the go.
Be sure to measure your spoke as illustrated below. I think there are suppliers in UK will supply 13g spokes e.g Ryan spokes or customcutspokes.

View attachment 58766
Measured mine tonight from the bend - as best as I could see, to the rim @ 272/273mm, same as yours, so i'll get 274mm (272 + 2mm for what's beneath the rim), if that worked for you, thanks.