DaaHub

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David,

I look forward to see what you come up with.

You mentioned a while ago that you were looking at brake levers for hydraulic brakes. Have you made any progress with that?

Sketching out an idea is much easier than actually trying to get a reliable and practical product, so I hope the comment didn't come across as denigrating the solution you came up with, that wasn't my intention. Sometimes simple is the best option.
Not at all, most of "my" best ideas have come from Pedelecs! ;)

I think your idea has possibilities and have already sent your sketches to Anthony to look over. If he likes the look of the scheme I will be in touch to arrange a deal with you.

All the best

David

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Question for David from Wisper about Daahub.

David If I fit Daahub to my Hybrid bike YouTube - Specialized Crosstrail Expert 2010 with the supplied geared wheel from Wisper will it still ride the same as it does now when I use it unpowered or will the new wheel introduce some drag?

Also will it still be silent or does the motor produce some noise?

Thanks. Schoe.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Schoe

The new wheel would introduce a limited amount of drag and there would be a little noise from the motor when under load.

Best regards

David

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Hi Schoe

The new wheel would introduce a limited amount of drag and there would be a little noise from the motor when under load.

Best regards

David
Thanks David. I guess if I buy an extra brake disc it should be easy to swap the wheels and still use it as a normal bike if I want.

Have you abandoned the idea of the more powerful unit for now I note it has been removed from the website.

Are you still on track to release units for sale in January?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Schoe

That is one of the reasons the battery is very easily detachable and the motor is in the front wheel. It means one can easily and quickly swap between electric and standard bike.

We took the more powerful motor off the web site as we were having problems with discharge rates. However we seem to have overcome these glitches and the new battery/controller system is now on test. If all is well we will re introduce the more powerful set up very soon.

The kits will be available in the UK from the end of January.

Best regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Will it be possible to get a 20" wheel that goes >16mph (>350rpm)?
Also will it work at 48v?
Hi Piotrmacheta

Our wheels and batteries are 36V and we do not have plans currently to introduce a 48V system.

The Daahub kit is set up to drive the wheels of any size so the bike will run at 15.5mph. If you are going to use the bike off road only we can de restrict for you.

Regards

David

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
David.

If I buy Daahub and fit it to my bike it would give a total weight of 17.5kg.

Using the 9ah battery with the off road feature active what would you expect my top speed and range to be?

Also will the front wheel hub be black as in the images on the Daahub website or silver as per the Alpino hub now?

And finally do you know what the width and length of the complete daahub unit are?

Many thanks. Schoe

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Schoe

Thanks for the questions.

The top speed for the kit is 15.5mph. If you intend to use it off the public highway or in other countries you can derestrict which would enable you to achieve about 18.5mph.

Range when restricted would be up to 32 miles depending on your weight and other external factors. Derestricting the bike would shorten the range.

The battery case is (max) 118mm high, 131mm wide and 294mm from the tip of the battery case to a center line of a 48mm seat tube.

The motor will be in black.

Best regards

David

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for answering all my questions David and always so promptly.

One last question is if I want to hide Daahub say on a rear rack will it fit into a rear rack bag such as a Topeak pannier and stay secure. I like the thought of it not being obvious my bike is electric so would like to hide the battery?

I know you are designing a backpack for mountain bike use but I would rather hide the kit somehow on the bike

Any suggestions?

Thanks Schoe.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Schoe

The launch of the DaaHub kit will be with the Battery pack "DaaBag" and the standard system as per our web site.

I would think you could hide the battery away as you describe but you would still need to have the dock on display.

Ladies Bike Left ECU Daahub 100kb.jpg

We hope to have some very exciting news later in November about DaaHub rack mounted battery system "DaaRack" but I am not at liberty to discuss at the moment. We have kept it under wraps for the time being whilst a very large and prestigious company put it through it's paces. As soon as we have their decision we will be at liberty to discuss openly. However DaaRack will not be available until later in 2011.

All the best

David

CyclingMadeEasy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Daahub Launch Date

Dear All

Just thought I'd let you know that I've spoken to Douglas Lawson of Whisper today and they are looking to launch the Daahub kit about June time, we're very interested in stocking the unit.

I also spoke with Cytronex last week and their kit will not be available through dealers intil 'laster this year'; I'll keep you updated on this one as soon as I hear more.

Regards

Jonathon

Cycling Made Easy

020 8660 8823
jonathon.monk@cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
Wisper Bikes

Hi Schoe

Best regards

David

British Electric Bicycle Association member

In terms of quietness when operating and drag resistance when not would you equate your motor with the Sanyo on the recent Giants ?

(I still can't get the hang of 'quoting' )

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry, I have not ridden either of the bikes you mention.

Re including a quote, if you look at the right hand bottom of the page you will see a quote button, simply click on this rather then the reply button.

All the best

David