Cyclotricity Stealth Chainring and crank arms suggestions?

Dobboalf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2024
Hi guys, as the title suggests, I need help. Started riding my bike to work and got to a steep hill, went to push off and the pedal sheered out of the threads. I've only ever replaced BMX crank arms and chainrings and upon looking at this one its not like I've normally seen. If anyone has replaced their chainring and crank arms what did you go for? I'm also looking at changing the chain on it as it does look rather skinny and flimsy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
There are a couple of tools you are going to need. A 15mm pedal spanner and a crank puller. I recommend you watch some Youtube videos on how to use a crank puller, also the left-hand pedal has a left-hand thread (you will probably know this already).

What size chainring do you currently have?

Dobboalf

Oct 15, 2024
There are a couple of tools you are going to need. A 15mm pedal spanner and a crank puller. I recommend you watch some Youtube videos on how to use a crank puller, also the left-hand pedal has a left-hand thread (you will probably know this already).

What size chainring do you currently have?
Thats the part I'm having an issue with, after measuring it seems like its a 104mm BCD chainring, I was just wondering what people have done to their Ebike in terms of chainring and cranks to get the best bang for their buck, I mainly use mine for commuting.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Thats the part I'm having an issue with, after measuring it seems like its a 104mm BCD chainring, I was just wondering what people have done to their Ebike in terms of chainring and cranks to get the best bang for their buck, I mainly use mine for commuting.
I meant how many teeth does it have? LOL.

If you replace the whole lot, it doesn't matter what the BCD is.

I bought one of these, chain ring and cranks:

eBay

Dobboalf

Oct 15, 2024
err.....I assume you have a square taper bottom bracket?
I believe it is yeah

I didnt realise you were talking about the teeth my bad, I cant remember off the top of my head how many it was. How many teeth did you get on your new set may I ask.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
A quick search suggests this is a hub motor, so crank should just be standard bike components, so just needs a normal crank arm puller. Remove the dust cover, use a standard socket of the right size to undo the bolt, then screw in the puller and off the crank will come.

Your chain will be matched to the number of gears you've got, so willy nilly changes to something different might not be the best idea!

Dobboalf

Oct 15, 2024
A quick search suggests this is a hub motor, so crank should just be standard bike components, so just needs a normal crank arm puller. Remove the dust cover, use a standard socket of the right size to undo the bolt, then screw in the puller and off the crank will come.

Your chain will be matched to the number of gears you've got, so willy nilly changes to something different might not be the best idea!
sweet, Ill leave the chain for now and if need be take it into the evans cycles by my work and ask them to swap the chain for a more robust one in the future. Ill just stick to replacing the crank and chainring then.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
then screw in the puller and off the crank will come.
Unless Matthew has a more sophisticated puller then mine ...

then (1) make sure the puller's inside is fully unscrewed, then (2) screw the puller's outside as far as you can into the crank, (3) then screw the puller's inside, and off the crank will come.

If you forget (1) you can't screw the pullers outside far enough into the crank in (2), and risk stripping the thread in (3).

If you would like different gearing now is the time to consider it. Yes, it may well mean a new chain, but that's relatively minor compared to the rest of the work (and cost).

Reactions: matthewslack

Dobboalf

Oct 15, 2024
Unless Matthew has a more sophisticated puller then mine ...

then (1) make sure the puller's inside is fully unscrewed, then (2) screw the puller's outside as far as you can into the crank, (3) then screw the puller's inside, and off the crank will come.

If you forget (1) you can't screw the pullers outside far enough into the crank in (2), and risk stripping the thread in (3).

If you would like different gearing now is the time to consider it. Yes, it may well mean a new chain, but that's relatively minor compared to the rest of the work (and cost).
at the moment, the gearing is fine for what I have, it was more for peace of mind as the chain that originally came with the bike seems very dainty compared to my other bikes with the same gearing. I think im just going to do the chainring and crankset, just to replace the whole lot as the ones Ive got have only lasted a month or so

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I believe it is yeah

I didnt realise you were talking about the teeth my bad, I cant remember off the top of my head how many it was. How many teeth did you get on your new set may I ask.
I have 42 teeth, it's ok, I can get to top speed (about 17-19 MPH) in top gear on the flat without running out of gears, which is fast enough for me (top gear is 11 teeth on my cassette). However, saneagle recommends 48 teeth. I certainly run out of gears if I try pedalling downhill, but I don't do that anyway.

We really need to know how many teeth is on your current chainring and the number of teeth on the smallest gear on your cassette.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Strangely, a quick browse of eBay of those Bucklos style cranksets only now go up to 42 teeth. Strange because they still sell the chainring separately up to 52 teeth. Very odd.

Dobboalf

Oct 15, 2024
I have 42 teeth, it's ok, I can get to top speed (about 17-19 MPH) in top gear on the flat without running out of gears, which is fast enough for me (top gear is 11 teeth on my cassette). However, saneagle recommends 48 teeth. I certainly run out of gears if I try pedalling downhill, but I don't do that anyway.

We really need to know how many teeth is on your current chainring and the number of teeth on the smallest gear on your cassette.
Ive ordered one thats got 48 teeth with the crank arm, now to just wait and see how it fits when it arrives.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You don't have to worry about what type of chainring you have. Any one with a square taper will do, assuming that you have a square taper. Probably, it'll be easiest to get one with the same number of teeth, but it gives you the chance to change the gearing if you found it too low or high before. If you change by more than 2 teeth, you'll probably need a new chain.