Cyclotricity bike

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
These do seem quite interesting, particularly with being quite light. Does anyone have any experience of them?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Abdul, thanks for the link. It's an interesting bike and not bad weight either at under 21 kilos. It's getting increasingly difficult to keep pace with all the new bikes appearing these days!

D

Deleted member 4366

I like the Stealth with the lovely LCD display, but only a 7aH battery, which means 7A rating and 14A max, so hill-climbing won't be so good.

Abdul, The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you had a go on that bike, you might not get on with it for whatever reason, and it probably won't be as good on the hills as your Cheetah. Enjoy your bike.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I like the Stealth with the lovely LCD display, but only a 7aH battery, which means 7A rating and 14A max, so hill-climbing won't be so good.
Nice looking bikes but yeah the battery capacity is a let down. Might not be so bad if replacement batteries are cheap...

Edit: And the asking price for the bike isn't too bad either!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Good find Abdul,
Looks nice, the price is very reasonable, they ought to do well.
The battery is small at 7AH, I wonder what the weight would be with a battery twice this size.
One thing I don't understand about Mountain Bikes is the lack of mudguards, for my work commute they are essential!
Best wishes to all.
Barry.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I must say the weight is ground breaking at this price...if spare battery cheap your away!

looks like 8 Fun battery

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Worth a punt, but don't expect too much at this price

There is a 24 speed demo machine here in Swindon, at E-motion EVC.

I was ask to give my opinion on them as an entry level machine. The machines are quite small, so would not suit anybody over 5' 10" or thereabouts. It did look tiny when standing next to the mighty Swiss Flyer. I would imagine the design would be appealing to younger riders, or perhaps those who just want to carry a short-range 'hack-bike' in their motor homes....It's certainly light enough.

The front hub-motor is quiet and smooth, giving 16-17 mph on the thumb throttle, I only had a short ride on the machine myself, so I can't say anything about climbing ability. The potential problem I found, was the motor cable entry facing upwards. This could easily be rectified by rotating the motor axle 180 degrees, there's plenty of spare cable to do this, and thereby creating a 'drip-loop' to prevent water ingress to the motor. As one would expect at this price point, all the Shimano 'bits' are entry level. Being a front drive, the road gearing is nicely matched to the characteristics of the controller, around sixty rpm cadence at 15 mph.

One thing I particularly liked, was the full function handlebar display. Road speed, trip distance and total distance all displayed, eliminating the need for an additional cycle computer.

At a liberal rate of 14 watt-hours per mile, the 7ah battery should give a range per charge of 18-20 miles in moderate terrain, for the first year at least.

The general assembly quality is surprisingly good. I paid special attention to the wheel building, but there were no problems with spoke tensions. Likewise, the disc brake calipers were correctly aligned to the rotors.

Perhaps most importantly, the importers recognise the desireability of a nationwide network of authorised dealers, the shop in Swindon perhaps being the first of these.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Bob, thanks for the info. Did you notice the frame size of the bike you tried out?
The site states 17" and 20" frame sizes available so perhaps the demo was the smaller size.
Nice looking bikes and appear to be very good value.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
17" I think.

I'm not sure Kenny, because the bottle battery is mounted in the front triangle, it has a shortish wheelbase. Perhaps that's why it looked so small against the Swiss Flyer.

Mind you, the Swiss Flyers are hefty machines in more ways than one, try lifting one!! :eek:

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
Bumping an old thread here, but anyone know if these guys are still in business?

The number on their website never answers. Am trying to find out if they have any stock, but the only dealer I can find on the web doesn't seem to have any.

mogwai

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2012
London, UK
I bought a "Stealth" through another one of their dealers very recently and found the same problem trying to get in touch with Cyclotricity by phone. They were very quick to respond by email though. I'm about to find out just how good their after sales service is though I as there have been a few issues with the bike. I will no doubt be writing a review here once their customer service has been put to the test too.

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
Batteries are all 9Ah now!

Dear forum members,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback on here. I would like to announce that all our bikes have been upgraded from 7Ah to 9Ah at no price increase to yourselves. In fact, this upgrade was a direct result of your feedback in this very thread! We’ve been working very hard for 6 months trying to find ways to increase the capacity of our batteries yet without cutting corners on the build quality. We finally managed to achieve this and launched our first upgraded versions a couple of months ago.

We’re very proud to have achieved this for our customers and, hopefully, it will be another milestone in our quest to offer the best value for money e-bikes and conversion kits :)

@ Sdrio and Mogwai, apologies to have missed your calls. We’ve been having problems with our landline for a while. If you still can’t get through, please do email us and we’ll endeavor to reply as promptly as possible.

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
There is a 24 speed demo machine here in Swindon, at E-motion EVC.

I was ask to give my opinion on them as an entry level machine. The machines are quite small, so would not suit anybody over 5' 10" or thereabouts. It did look tiny when standing next to the mighty Swiss Flyer. I would imagine the design would be appealing to younger riders, or perhaps those who just want to carry a short-range 'hack-bike' in their motor homes....It's certainly light enough.

The front hub-motor is quiet and smooth, giving 16-17 mph on the thumb throttle, I only had a short ride on the machine myself, so I can't say anything about climbing ability. The potential problem I found, was the motor cable entry facing upwards. This could easily be rectified by rotating the motor axle 180 degrees, there's plenty of spare cable to do this, and thereby creating a 'drip-loop' to prevent water ingress to the motor. As one would expect at this price point, all the Shimano 'bits' are entry level. Being a front drive, the road gearing is nicely matched to the characteristics of the controller, around sixty rpm cadence at 15 mph.

One thing I particularly liked, was the full function handlebar display. Road speed, trip distance and total distance all displayed, eliminating the need for an additional cycle computer.

At a liberal rate of 14 watt-hours per mile, the 7ah battery should give a range per charge of 18-20 miles in moderate terrain, for the first year at least.

The general assembly quality is surprisingly good. I paid special attention to the wheel building, but there were no problems with spoke tensions. Likewise, the disc brake calipers were correctly aligned to the rotors.

Perhaps most importantly, the importers recognise the desireability of a nationwide network of authorised dealers, the shop in Swindon perhaps being the first of these.
Dear Blew it,

Thank you very much for putting a detailed review of our bike here, that was kind of you :)

Yes, the way we've designed these bikes is to have them match the size of any regular mountain bike. That was the whole idea when we set out to develop an electric bike a couple of years ago. We wanted something that looks like a mountain bike, weighs pretty close to what a regular mountain bike would, and release it at a similar price tag as a mid-ranged mountain bike (it was a tough challenge, we had to design a lot of the components from scratch by ourselves to achieve this!!).

I.e we wanted to compete with regular bikes rather than other e-bikes. The idea behind this was to bridge the mental change from push bike to e-bike without making it feel as a complete switch-over (which is especially needed for the British market if we are to catch the e-bike trend like the rest of Europe).
So by the very nature of our products, they are bound to look small compared to traditional, heavy and bulky e-bikes. However, put them next to a regular mountain bike and they'd look normal :)

By the way, regarding your comment on rotating the motor axle 180 degrees, we do not recommend doing this. This means the spindle opening will be facing downwards while the cable is fastened upwards which could lead to damages on the cable. Especially if you happen to hit the motor against a wall etc, the cable will be vulnerable and could be squashed by the spindle itself. On the other hand, having the spindle opening facing upwards means the cable will remain protected within that compartment.

As for your concern about water dripping through, please rest assured that we've thought about this as well. We actually build these motors by hand ourselves and have them all individually tested by our subcontractors. Under the motor shell, the whole spindle is tightly sealed with silicon to withstand our water test. So no matter how much water you pour through the spindle opening, it won't go through to the motor. Here is a picture of us in the process of building and sealing the motor with silicon:

silicon-motor.jpg

Please let us know if you have any other remarks you could mention to us. As a start-up developer of e-bikes, we're committed to listening and carry on improving our products for as long as we exist! :)

D

Deleted member 4366

By the way, regarding your comment on rotating the motor axle 180 degrees, we do not recommend doing this. This means the spindle opening will be facing downwards while the cable is fastened upwards which could lead to damages on the cable. Especially if you happen to hit the motor against a wall etc, the cable will be vulnerable and could be squashed by the spindle itself. On the other hand, having the spindle opening facing upwards means the cable will remain protected within that compartment.

As for your concern about water dripping through, please rest assured that we've thought about this as well. We actually build these motors by hand ourselves and have them all individually tested by our subcontractors. Under the motor shell, the whole spindle is tightly sealed with silicon to withstand our water test. So no matter how much water you pour through the spindle opening, it won't go through to the motor. Here is a picture of us in the process of building and sealing the motor with silicon:

View attachment 4279

Please let us know if you have any other remarks you could mention to us. As a start-up developer of e-bikes, we're committed to listening and carry on improving our products for as long as we exist! :)
I hope you're sure about that. That sealant doesn't look very secure to me. We've seen the results of water running down the wire here before, and it's not a pretty sight. Nearly all the other manturers and bike builders run their cables downwards. Even if it were sealed, it's "belt and braces". I certainly wouldn't trust our Chinese friends to get sealant in the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've added silicone sealant to the spindle entry on new hub motor bikes I've bought, packing it well in as much as possible, since the manufacturer's sealing is often quite poor as Dave says.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@CycloTricity. Could you tell us the price of a spare battery [including VAT] please as I could not find it on your website.

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
Yep, d8veh and flecc are right, it's hard to get the sealant right, we've had issues with it ourselves in the past. That's why we appoint 3rd party subcontractors to make sure the opening is jam packed with silicon among other tests (learnt the hard way!).
But the sealant is quite tight now and is proving quite effective under the tests (although I wouldn't submerge the whole motor in water just to be on the safe side).

@neptune, sure thing, a spare 36V/9Ah battery costs £299 incl VAT. You can find the prices here: Our current range of e-bikes and conversion kits

Rami

Last edited: