soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and that's why everyone needs machine guns :p

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"£6,000 e-bike"

"On the same day as the attempted e-bike theft, the group robbed a man, who his in his 30s, whilst riding along Dewberry Drive.

They also tried to nab a moped from Bromford Lane, and eventually stole a motorbike from Burnt Tree in Tipton.

The next day, a man, who was also in his 30s, was threatened at knife-point by the men who made away with his phone and e-bike on West Bromwich Ringway."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Cyclist fights off moped gang bike thieves armed with angle grinder

"I thought I was in danger": The 70-year-old managed to keep hold of his £2,500 Brompton while surrounded by "angle grinder-wielding rustlers"

"They were all dressed in black and used an angle grinder to begin cutting through the D-lock on his daughter's bike in an attempt to get at his £2,500 Brompton, also locked to the rack outside the cafe. "

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm amazed that worked. If red food dye spray doesn't put them off, it's time to go clubbing with my long Dahon seatpost and saddle. Smash their red faces.

Ordered one with a belt pouch:

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I must be a 'wrong un' when i see the pics of gangs mugging an ebike like above i see an opportunity for a free upgrade as at least one of the muggers is ridding something more expensive.. my dlock would be round that wheel faster than they could notice..

Yes granted if in the actual situation i would probably be doing a first class impression of a rabbit in headlights.. but if i plant the seed of the idea now....

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
btw i am fully aware my budget priced ebike conversion is not likely to be the target of those focusing on high value bikes..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I must be a 'wrong un' when i see the pics of gangs mugging an ebike like above i see an opportunity for a free upgrade as at least one of the muggers is ridding something more expensive.. my dlock would be round that wheel faster than they could notice..

Yes granted if in the actual situation i would probably be doing a first class impression of a rabbit in headlights.. but if i plant the seed of the idea now....
That's what I was thinking. My first goal would be to try to get my armoured cable lock through one of their wheels, and before that, it makes a formidable defence weapon if needed. It's always carried on my handlebars for rapid deployment.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
btw i am fully aware my budget priced ebike conversion is not likely to be the target of those focusing on high value bikes..
I guess because it's shiny and unusual looking - despite being a cheap old conversion, my bike attracts attention, which is what I want from motorists not pedestrians. Unfortunately, I can't be highly visible to drivers and invisible to everyone else. The other morning at the bottom of Gremlin chase hill, before I recorded video for my side by side 15A vs 20A comparison, a guy shouted "IS THAT A NEW BIKE?". Shortly after that as I was approaching the town center, one of a group of three dudes expressed interest, shouting from a side street as I zoomed past.

Turn up the volume. "What's that bike bro?"

Hill chase on foot by Gremlins, Gremlins in car:

Same hill 15A vs 20A:

I reckon it's best to have a plan. I'd rather launch a non-violent defence - if evasion as a first response doesn't work or isn't possibe, it'll be out with the red spray and clubbing for afters. Red spray attack buys time to quick release my long Dahon seatpost with heavy saddle on the end. Reminds me, must lubricate that quick release clasp, because release currently isn't quick.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"At around 9.50pm, a man in his 20s was on his e-bike outside the Eagle and Crown pub on Ford Road, Upton when he was reportedly approached by a male. Threats were made and the bike was stolen."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"At around 8.40pm on Tuesday (July 16) it was reported that a 15-year-old boy, who was riding an e-bike, was approached by two males on a black Sur-Ron e-bike on Sea Road, Wallasey.

One of the males got off the bike and threatened the boy with a knife before taking his e-bike and the two suspects left the area heading towards Grove Road."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"At around 3.12pm on Monday, July 15, a 20-year-old man was cycling down an alleyway near to Regent Street, Ellesmere Port, when he was stopped by two unknown boys, believed to be aged around 16 years old.

One of the boys pulled a metal bar from his coat sleeve and struck the victim several times, knocking him from his bike.

The two suspects proceeded to kick the victim, taking his bike and backpack and then fled the area in the direction of Princes Road on the victim's bike."