Cycling furiously - Daily mail

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I read in the Daily Fail today, so it must be true? That during the Olympics in London that quote “rickshaw drivers are also being targeted with the latter facing prosecution under an archaic law from 1839 that prohibits cycling furiously”. Does that include me?

Where the hell is this law scraped up from? I am often furious in mind set after being cut up by a car lol for a few minutes after (not riding madly after). Perhaps they can prosecute me for that? Or my legs are peddling madly (not a problem on my Ebike hehe). Surely they can prosecute them under existing laws like dangerous cycling with undue care or attention to other road users etc. If that is a law?

Seems to me they can do you for anything these days just bring back laws from the 1500’s etc though shall take thy sword to a Penny Farthing if he cuts you up. Interesting the Penny Farthing was introduced in 1891 after 1839, just wiki’ed it. They can see the future.

Just some research and it is Riding and not cycling (bloody Daily Fail).

170-year-old law traps rogue rickshaws in West End crime blitz - London - News - Evening Standard

I am going to post it because it took me time to write it.

Moral of the story is learn from your first sentence. Do research before you post and go off on one, another lesson learned for me. No matter how old you are you still learn.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
According to my research, the only bikes around in1839 were hobby horses or velocipedes , without pedals. In 1839 there was only one pedal driven machine, the bike built by Kirkpatrick Macmillan of Dumfries. It is unlikely that a law was passed just for him , although he did knock down a pedestrian and was fined 5 shillings .So for any machines around in 1839, riding furiously probably meant exceeding 5MPH. The Macmillan machine had a one to one gear ratio, and so would not have been fast, or furious .

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
According to my research, the only bikes around in1839 were hobby horses or velocipedes , without pedals. In 1839 there was only one pedal driven machine, the bike built by Kirkpatrick Macmillan of Dumfries. It is unlikely that a law was passed just for him , although he did knock down a pedestrian and was fined 5 shillings .So for any machines around in 1839, riding furiously probably meant exceeding 5MPH. The Macmillan machine had a one to one gear ratio, and so would not have been fast, or furious .
Good research and interesting anyway.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
No typo there just need to do a bit more research. Just looked "at he first recorded print reference is 1891 in Bicycling News) on wiki. Cut and paste is not your friend sometimes :)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
The law of 1839 probably referred to riding a horse and driving a carriage and was later taken to include bicycles.

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
I read in the Daily Fail today, so it must be true? That during the Olympics in London that quote “rickshaw drivers are also being targeted with the latter facing prosecution under an archaic law from 1839 that prohibits cycling furiously”. Does that include me?

Where the hell is this law scraped up from? I am often furious in mind set after being cut up by a car lol for a few minutes after (not riding madly after). Perhaps they can prosecute me for that? Or my legs are peddling madly (not a problem on my Ebike hehe). Surely they can prosecute them under existing laws like dangerous cycling with undue care or attention to other road users etc. If that is a law?

Seems to me they can do you for anything these days just bring back laws from the 1500’s etc though shall take thy sword to a Penny Farthing if he cuts you up. Interesting the Penny Farthing was introduced in 1891 after 1839, just wiki’ed it. They can see the future.

Just some research and it is Riding and not cycling (bloody Daily Fail).

170-year-old law traps rogue rickshaws in West End crime blitz - London - News - Evening Standard

I am going to post it because it took me time to write it.

Moral of the story is learn from your first sentence. Do research before you post and go off on one, another lesson learned for me. No matter how old you are you still learn.
I wonder if that law could be applied to a motorcycle accelerating hard from a standing start ?i.e getting to 30mph very fast .!

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
It also states in that article that - Hundreds of police were involved in high-profile patrols under the Met’s Operation Trafalgar, launched to present the West End in its best light in Olympic year.
They aim to target brawling drunks, drug dealers, pickpockets, unlicensed minicabs and dangerous rickshaw driving.
.....so there is not any brawling drunks, drug dealers, pickpockets, unlicensed minicabs and dangerous rickshaw driving when it is not an Olympic year then...?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No typo there just need to do a bit more research. Just looked "at he first recorded print reference is 1891 in Bicycling News) on wiki. Cut and paste is not your friend sometimes :)
I had to refresh my memory on the exact date too! I only knew 1891 was wrong because I remembered the safety bicycle was invented years before and was popular by the late 1880s. So if the penny-farthing had been invented in 1891, it could never have caught on! :)