Cycle Road Rage - Camera Evidence!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

With today High pressure society It is very hard to say what that driver was thinking he may be just about to have his a braking point and house reposes or caught his wife with another man

As human beings we all have a breaking point

It is possible the cyclist was just in the way and he snapped

This why we have courts

The main thing is the cyclist was OK Better to face a mouth full off abuse than have a outraged car try and run you off the road

Personally when driving a car I treat cyclists and motor cyclist and pedestrians As Very vulnerable they are not in a metal protection box

Give way Give them room I will follow a cyclist not overtaking till i can give him / her at least 2 bike wide gap between him and my car

Thinking that could be me or my wife or kid

As for horses slow down to a crawl stop in you need to they have been on our road long before the motor car

Now speed limits a 30 MPH road marker means 30 MPH maximum

NOT 30MPH +++

so in normal roads in town 25 MPH

so if a kid or dog / cat runs out I stand a chance of stopping

and if I hit them they will survive

I am a 61 year old FART but I sleep at night

Frank

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
It seems to me that riding with a camera attached isn't really the answer to the problem. There isn't much point if, as in this case, the police are seeking assistance in tracking down the car driver.

Although there has been at least one successful prosecution recently based on video footage, I suspect there will be many other occasions where the police or CPS may determine that the video footage obtained is evidentially insufficient to justify prosecution. An assailant might very well remove and/or destroy a camera anyway....especially if one tells the other party he is being filmed!

The camera can hardly be objective as it only reveals some of the story so I'd expect challenges from defence lawyers if their use in such a manner proliferates.

Confrontation with a cretin like the one shown in the clip could be quite enjoyable if you're confident in your own ability to knock the sh.....sorry,...to defend yourself! Unfortunately, there are those like Kenneth Noye who aren't very good with their fists so they will just stab you.

The answer? I really don't know but I shan't be attaching a camera to my bike or my person. I guess I'll just have to take my chances in the same way as I do by not wearing a helmet.

Indalo
I think some cameras can be quite discrete and not easy to spot on a bike, especially very small ones you can get now.

As for the criminal evidence side of things..I think cameras increasingly have a role to play and as they are now HD-capable and very clear, it's easy to recognise a persons face, any weapons they might have, and car number plates etc.. As long as the video is clear, it could be used to charge a person or presented as evidence in court to secure a conviction.

The only problem is with filming at night or in low-light conditions, like this video in question, where a lot of cameras don't perform too well and become very pixelated.. but I'm sure you can find some cameras that do night filming...my Vado HD is very good in low light conditions, unusually good.

It's also probably helpful if the video has a time and date stamp imprinted in the video for evidence purposes..

Iffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2011
Wellingborough, Northants
Give way Give them room I will follow a cyclist not overtaking till i can give him / her at least 2 bike wide gap between him and my car

Quite right Frank, my Grandfather, a cyclist all his life advised me to "always give a cyclist lying down room when passing".

Now speed limits a 30 MPH road marker means 30 MPH maximum

NOT 30MPH +++

The thing with all speed limits is that they are just that - a limit not a target

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
OK...............how do you get the original quote to appear in a shaded box?
I think you just hit the quote button at the bottom right of the post you want to quote and then you can play around within the square bracket endpiece thingies (can you tell I'm not a techie?)

Edit - yup, that worked

Last edited:

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
I think you just hit the quote button at the bottom right of the post you want to quote and then you can play around within the square bracket endpiece thingies (can you tell I'm not a techie?)

Edit - yup, that worked
You can always press Preview Post before you press Submit Reply to see what it will look like. But like you say I often read through what I have written only to find that I have missed something and have to edit later.

Chris

Iffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2011
Wellingborough, Northants

Edit - yup, that worked
Something like this?

Edit - Yipee, it is possible to educate pork. Thank you.

Last edited:

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Arrested and charged

The man who was captured on film threatening and assaulting a cyclist in Longsight has been charged.

Michael Stewart, 47, from Congleton, has been charged with common assault and dangerous driving and is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates’ Court on 14 April.

The 33-year-old victim man was cycling along St John’s Road at 6.25pm on Wednesday 26 January, when a man in a black BMW got out of his car and grabbed him by the throat while shouting abuse at him. He then got back into his car and drove off.

The incident was captured on the cyclist’s video headcam and police released footage of the attack in an effort to identify the driver.

“Bike rage” man captured on cyclist’s headcam is charged | Inside the M60